Thread: Lake in Africa

Titles are important to me Gerard's Avatar

Lake in Africa

Some pics from a lake.

"The fishing was so good I thought I was there yesterday."

Re: Lake in Africa

Now that is what I call fishing, nice golden bone there on the last picture. You got to love any lake you can land a nice rainbow and a carp all on the same water. I do a lot more warm water around here, so carp are more of our sport fish and the big trout are a day trip away. Lucky man to have both!

Quote Originally Posted by Kollman
    Now that is what I call fishing, nice golden bone there on the last picture. You got to love any lake you can land a nice rainbow and a carp all on the same water. I do a lot more warm water around here, so carp are more of our sport fish and the big trout are a day trip away. Lucky man to have both!
    Yep, we are lucky with some great fishing in Africa.

Nope Kollman, that’s not a carp (cyprinus carpio) but an indigenous Clanwilliam Yellowfish (albeit a very fat one) – South Africa is home to nine yellowfish species (labeobarbus).

Their behaviour, feeding habits and fighting characteristics differ widely and are very different to carp, although they are often confused from appearance. In addition, they are protected, unlike carp which is threatening our freshwater ecosystem throughout South Africa.

Here’s a pic of a carp – note the differences in the head, dorsal fin and tail.

Here are some pics of our largemouth yellowfish – a predator of note. Yellowfish are very hard fighters and are often referred to as freshwater bonefish over here.

Oh ya, I see the difference from the other angles in your picts, definite difference. I bet those are fun to catch and look like one heck of a fighter with that streamlined build. Thanks for the education on this species, I will have to do a little more research online and bring myself up to speed. I am in Kansas, central USA, just got turned on to this board from a fishing buddy who is getting me into more small streams.

Quote Originally Posted by Kollman
    Oh ya, I see the difference from the other angles in your picts, definite difference. I bet those are fun to catch and look like one heck of a fighter with that streamlined build. Thanks for the education on this species, I will have to do a little more research online and bring myself up to speed. I am in Kansas, central USA, just got turned on to this board from a fishing buddy who is getting me into more small streams.
    Good to have you here.

So what else sucks up flies in mid USA besides twisters?

We changed from twisters to snow storms this weekend as I was out pheasant hunting for some new tying materials. ;) We have a pretty wide selection of warm water fish around here to go chase, so we flip to what ever is hot at the moment. I grew up around one of the best Walleye lakes in the nation in Western Kansas (Webster Reservior), but we can find some 15 - 30 pound stripers to get your reel to spinning if those are too little for you. We just came off some carp trips, so that is why I was thinking your yellowfish was something else. They are every where here too, but we are fighting the big eyed silver Asian carp in our rivers.

Gerard here ya go mate...

A few prized African lakes where the famed Cichlids roam...
    I have since switched the aquascape around and the fish are much larger.

Searching for a 4-500 gallon tank now.

Lake Malawi and the Tang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McDGg595_Fo

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.