Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: persona non grata

Re: persona non grata

Quote Originally Posted by adam
    Not sure what you are eluding to Gus.

I don't buy magazines, it is a personal waste of time and money.

I recently read an issue of "The Drake" and it is pretty cool but as I wrote above, it is what it is. I even sort of like Tom's site but it's funny, the "Underground" has become mainstream.

Any paper magazine is typically an advertisement revenue stream.

blah blah blah

I think it is hilarious when the underground becomes mainstream. Even more funny when the media talks about itself.
    Heading close to 60 now , the grey cell remaining remembers Rolling Stone mag as a love and peace revolutionary publication along with the UKs International Times .
    IT got shut down by the UK establishment and R S became just another rather good at time music mag.
    Even this ex hippy got a suit and company car,sold out a bit I suppose, Now have a Big beard ,back on a ratty motorcycle,and dont have to cut my hair except to fit it in the Motorcycle helmet.
    What goes round and all that .

Exactly what I was meaning, mostly... Magazines are about ads, even the "good" ones. I don't buy them either, as the ad to content ratio is greatly skewed.

The second part is reference to what I'm seeing in the new workplace. Grammar and writing ability are all but gone in the incoming publicly educated texting and twittering (the 140 character reference) generation... it amazes me daily the level of illiteracy that has become the accepted norm - and that has been produced by our High Schools and even Universities.

Quote Originally Posted by gstrand

Exactly what I was meaning, mostly... Magazines are about ads, even the "good" ones. I don't buy them either, as the ad to content ratio is greatly skewed.

The second part is reference to what I'm seeing in the new workplace. Grammar and writing ability are all but gone in the incoming publicly educated texting and twittering (the 140 character reference) generation... it amazes me daily the level of illiteracy that has become the accepted norm - and that has been produced by our High Schools and even Universities.
    What amazes me is the amount of kids these days that cannot tell the time by looking at a non digital watch :shock: Something that I just take for granted.

Try to get a cashier to count change back to you without looking at the register... My Grandpa owned a stereotypical small town wood floor hardware store - china and appliances in the front, thread your pipe in the back and everything in -between... I learned counting change back at about 10 years old and can't believe how its a lost art... :)

Quote Originally Posted by greendrake
    Quote Originally Posted by gstrand

What amazes me is the amount of kids these days that cannot tell the time by looking at a non digital watch :shock: Something that I just take for granted.
    There are more kids, that is for sure but they blow us out of the box these days. There have always been kids who were and are challenged, Canadian Club makes advertisements for them, "Your Father had a life before you." Seen those?

Kids this days do things we only dreamed about.

They took the knowledge that we and the generations before us and built upon it.

I don't share the view that you guys do of "kids" quite the opposite.

They are smarter, younger. They do the math I was taught in High School in 5th grade. The video games that do in 1st grade eclipse those as I enjoy as an adult. They are faster, smarter and what they are used to at a very young age, I am often challenged to accept as an adult. There are exceptions with everything, but I think for the most part, kids are smarter today than ever. Able to do menial things that are standard to us? Times change, many of those skills are not necessary in their world.

The generation gap.

It gets wider as technology advances at a faster pace.

The true problem is us. We box up technology, we profit from it instead of sharing it. We dangle the technology instead of allowing others to build upon it, creating things with it. iPod is an example. The aps for it, you can create but what about the guts of the iPod, Jobs won't let you touch that. The guts of a PC are now open and kids are making Frankensteins with it. There are other examples, this is just the 5-minute thought in the morning before work.

I submit the Canadian Club ads for my response to the "be like a man" campaign...

Back to Patagonia.

Do you think human performance is increased because of a fabric?

Absolutely.

More later.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

One quick last digression... Adam, you're right.

It's not the kids.

It's the parents.

Fabric? Sure. I know when I ride in my cotton Tee as opposed to my underarmor, it makes a huge difference. Doing a 300' per mile ascent on a mountain bike in 103 degrees F, it makes a HUGE difference. :)

-G

I agree as well Adam. I wasn't saying(although it may have come out that way) that kids are dumb.Just that many of them do not know how to do some very simple things that people of my age take for granted.Like being able to tell the time from looking at a watch that doesn't have numbers on it, realizing of course that they have probably never had a watch like that.

And since the technology that they are such whizzes at didn't exist when I was growing up it's understandable that they "blow us away" when it comes to understanding it.Let's face it,it's pretty much a fact that humans get "set in their ways" as they go through life and are slower to react or embrace a lot of new things.

Having been an outdoorsman since childhood the new fabrics are almost without exception superior to what was available in the past.Gus made the point of the Under Armor line which has been a huge improvement in keeping the body cool or warm.I still look at Gore-tex as one of the biggest leaps in field of fabrics during my life time.
    Will

Excellent.

We have one thing that kids do not, experience.

We can look back upon our lives and take that forward...

I'm glad you guys clarified. Words are limiting and at the same time, they set us free. I am amazed at the complexity that we can communicate. So many people, internet, keyboard. I refuse to dumb down what I write in order that everyone get it. I'm glad you guys are hanging in there with me, I'm pretty sure we have a lot of commonalities in our look at what we think is hard core.

Fabrics.

Everest.

Patagonia.

Almost full circle.

In the old days, the pioneering days, natural fabrics. Wool, cotton, early nylon. Man, what those guys did, true grit. Now we have lightweight fabrics that allow people to live in very harsh climates. Widely ranging temperatures, performance enhancing fabrics. But it is experience that brings out the performance of the fabric. Patagonia is zeroing in on wool, imagine that. Cashmire, Merino, been around for a while...

Chicken or the egg?

My beef is not with Patagonia or Simms or even Canadian Club. I'm tilting at why they have to advertise this way. They do it because it is effective.

People, kids these days want experience NOW!

That's not how exactly how it works but it is my perception that people want to be recognized immediately when they haven't really earned their turns.

...and I am not about to forget those who came before us.

(cursing) advertisers.

But Yvon Chounard is one cool guy, a very smart surfer, climber, entrepenuer.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.