I am going to do a little thru-fishing with an overnighter or two on a couple of local streams. I will fish Tenkara style and fly fish as well. My rods are 26" lengths when broken down. I will also carry minimal fly gear, the one reel and a small line wallet for the Tenkara lines and fly fishing leaders.

I am looking for suggestions for THE lightest way to stow the rods. Absolutely the lightest way to carry them both or individually in the back pack. The Tenkara rod I can carry by itself as it is telescoping, I don't mind if the first section gets a little beat up but if there is a solution where I can get my flyrod (a bamboo by choice) and the Tenkara rod both in there, all good.

I'm thinking maybe I should just get the smallest diameter, petite thin wall aluminum tube 7071 aluminum or ? for the bamboo and strap the Tenkara rod or stuff it next to that tube in it's sock. The other pieces just tuck them here and there in the pack.

What is the lightest but servicable rod tube for a fly rod?

I'm sure footed, I don't fall much at all and certainly when I hike, I will be even more conservative. I'm concerned with the weight of the tube and the pack as I have not stuffed a fly rod tube in a back pack before. I am looking at each component of my back packing kit, shaving as many ounces and grams as possible.

The funny thing is, I could probably lose 30lbs of body fat and carry a normally configured kit!

*blushing*

Thanks in advance.

Any tips are gratefully appreciated.

I am detailing my exploits in ultralight backpack thru-fishing at the public side of grassart.net found HERE.