Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Introductions

Re: Introductions

Hi from Lawrence, KS. I am Martin Kollman and a buddy here at the University of Kansas introduced me to this site after we got to discussing small streams in Missouri and various message boards where we found new spots. Most of my fishing is warmwater, but do travel to the cold and salty waters a few times a year for a change of scenery.

Fry

Already posted a few reports but I should probably introduce myself.

My name is Eric, I live about 5 minutes from the eastern edge of the Adirondacks and close to Vermont as well. I fish small streams for brookies but also Smallmouth and Rock bass, and Walleye. I hate to pigeonhole myself but my specialty is warm water and I've just this year started small stream trout fishing.

I mostly catch fish like this

Out of streams like this

but also this occasionally these

I was a member during the Nick era and am glad to have this resource back.

Satoshi, from Japan.
    I had joined the old forum for just a several months, posted a few and then, it's gone... and I was really dissapointed.
    So, I'm still a kind of new here and I'm truely happy this great forum is back again now.
    I took many photos on fishing trips in the last season, so I will post some of them during winter when they are ready.

Great to see you back Satoshi. I was really looking forward to following a season's fishing in Japan before the old board went offline.

Glad we'll all get the chance to catch up with it now. :bigthumb:

Jim

it's pretty amazing at how quickly just about everyone returned to the site.

Hi Guys,

David Dornblaser from the Chicago-area here. Glad to see this site back up. I have a split personality, I swing two-handed rods for steelhead in the Upper Midwest and the PNW and I fish the spring creeks and streams in WI & MN, mostly in the Driftless Area. Although I am becoming more of small stream lover as the years pass. I love to read trip reports and see pics of others home waters, particularly non-North American water. The British chalk streams are on my bucket list.

- David

An intro I just added to my website pretty much explains it all:

I arrived in Colorado via Atlanta. While in Atlanta I apprenticed under Gary Lacey for several years. Still do, in fact. Our friendship started when I sent him an old Granger to be fixed up, we started talking and eventually I did a short documentary on his rodbuilding abilities. It was then that I started working with him and building blanks for his L.L. Bean and Granger rod series.

[youtube:jqo6h9yw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDZsfRUN_34[/youtube:jqo6h9yw]

Time passed, as it usually does, and my life changed with the usual obligations. I gladly moved out West when the opportunity arose and have never regretted it. I still build blanks for Gary, but I have started selling my own rods as well. I like to build what I feel are tried and true classic tapers; FE Thomas, Granger, Leonards, and Paynes, . . . but I also like to add my own interpretations when possible. Sometimes a swelled but or a slightly heavier tip can make all the difference! I routinely wrap in antique gold with scarlet tipping, but custom rods are custom made, so I like to leave it up to the clients. I also make most of my own components, tip tops, inserts, cap and ring hardware, and hand sewn rod bags.

I enjoy rod building immensely. Its therapy for me as well. Gary and I used to joke that building rods was like mental bubble gum. "I'm gonna build the best rod possible, or I'm just not gonna build 'em", he would also say. Good advice, I think I'll do that.

Hi Smallstreamers;

I don´t have a video to go with my presentation (great stuff Mr. Morrow!) but I´ll throw in a photo to go with it instead.

I´m Mats from Stockholm and Adam tricked me into joining here from Grassart. Naa, just kidding.. I´m actually very honored to be invited... :D I make fly rods for friends on a hobbyist basis. Working elevators when I´m not fishing or planing bamboo. I know a few of you guys already and I´m looking forward to get to know you other guys also. You seem to have got this place going quite a bit already and it looks fun.

I´m 52 by now and been fishing since I was a little kid. Found that the fishing/cathing thing has come to be a little bit secondary nowadays, to just to be able to be on the water, preferably with friends and the love ones.

Hope to be able to contribute some here but I know it won´t be that frequently due to lots of other stuff to attend to.

Mats

I'm Highlander and I'm a small stream addict. Don't get me wrong, if it's wet I'll cast a fly or two to see whats home, but small intimate waters are what I crave.

I missed Smallstreams. I kept the link in my favorites and checked it periodically. Happily it's (we're) back. I don't post often, but I probably check daily (unless I'm off on a fishing trip). I'm lucky because my job takes me all over Canada, and it would be just plain dumb if a rod or two didn't come along with me.

Looking forward to posting a few photos of some upcoming trips.

Highlander,
    We'll look forward to seeing those pics :bigthumb:
    Will

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.