Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Introductions

Re: Introductions

Hi,
    I'm Andy Baird, living on the North coast of Co. Antrim, N. Ireland for the last ten or so years... I'm a short rod, light line, small fly enthusiast. I found smallstreams first time round when searching for small fly patterns and Roy Christie material.
    There was always great small fly action here... and I hope there's more to come.
    I fish small streams, burns and the tinyest of brooks for wild, brown trout. The landscape here is a vast matrix of small water, the trout are free-rising and there's miles of lightly fished streams if you get out and explore a little... the trout in these streams tend to average 6-12", I'll see a couple to 14" each season... there's bigger trout out there, but they can be tricky to tempt on a #24 paradun... :geek: The hatches can be sporadic, and lighter than most but this is a magical landscape to explore and fish, the trout are some of the most beautiful in the world and hard fighting.

I'm a big fan of the stream reports section here, so much amazing water and trout from across the globe.

Andy offline and out...

smallstreams.com plankowner martin_b's Avatar

Hi everyone.
    I was a member of the "old" forum and also posted a couple of reports from my corner of the world. I'm from Denmark, and recently moved to the main part of the country, close to the best trout streams in the country, and I have a couple of pictures and reports to post that I prepared during the down-time of the site.
    Will be back soon, just this quick hello so that Gus won't delete my account due to zero post activity :)

It's great to have this community back!

Cheers
    Martin

No worries Martin!

smallstreams.com plankowner jeepster's Avatar

Jeepster here. I’ve been around for awhile on various boards but I don’t post much. During the old smallstreams era I think I was the oldest registered member with the fewest posts. On our local fly fishing forum I have 0 posts in over 3 years so at least I am consistent.

I am primarily interested in fly fishing colorado, new mexico, and hopefully montana and a few places like that. Not much interest in what arizona has to offer so hopefully I will move from my present location of ten feet from hell to a more fishy place before I die.

Fishing has been a life long experience. I will never regret picking up a flyrod 19 years ago and forever giving up spin casting and bait chucking.

Besides fly fishing I was extremely active in 4wd’s and off roading. I have been wheeling for 39 years, owned jeeps for 29 years and currently have four 4wd’s. 3 jeeps and an F150 4x4. I built one jeep to travel to Colorado in for fly fishing and wheeling. Specifically built to wheel the passes of colo and I have been over every high mtn pass at least five times in the san juan mtns.

jeepster

Ernest here, one of the old guys.

I'm living large in the Upper Midwest, with a house more than 20 miles from the 4 lane, and closer than that to my home waters of Catscratch, and Cripe-O-Mitey, and Little Prickerbush Creeks.

I hold an assistant lecturer position at the Jed Clampett School of Fly Tackle Manufacture, carving fly rods out of house siding, and hardware store dowels, and sticks I cut out of the maples and hickories on our land. I'm not a purist; I fish with bamboo sometimes, and occasionally plastic.

I'm down to tying 40-50 dozen flies a year, and enjoying it more than I did when I was pressed to tie for others.

I won't be contributing to some of the threads. Eats on the stream, with tablecloths and wine lists? Last week I went out for a day of fishing on the brook trout ponds in the county forest, and I forgot to bring a sandwich. I did have a 20 oz. Diet Mountain Dew back at the truck.

You're not likely to see photos from me. I stopped taking them on fishing trips. I have a lot of old pictures of trout and trees and creeks. I don't need any more of them.

Sometimes I tell stories.

sometimes tells stories? Ernest you've got some of the best I've ever read.

To each their own, as long as we're civil.

Eats? Like I posted, it's granola/energy bars for me. Others have different ideas, not better or worse.

I fish bamboo, plastic and fiberglass, but the thing that matters is that I fish.

I live a mile from my home stream, which runs dead smack through the middle of town. It is unfished and overlooked, as remote as many I've been at miles from pavement... My home pond is a block away... with more panfish and bass than most.

Since I left Oregon, the only salmonids within eight hours of me are planted in an artificial tailwater.

We are all small streams of information...

Quote Originally Posted by gstrand
    To each their own, as long as we're civil.
    Agreed.

Ernest writes excellent stories, I wish that was all he did here.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

My name is Fred. I'm from northern Colorado. I fish small streams , Big Thompson alot, Frying pan and others. I visited the other small streams site frequently but I never posted, not real computor savy.( but learning ) I've learned alot from you guys over the years. I found this web site thru other links here and there. I'm starting to get interested in bamboo rods. I actually just ordered a blank tonight a 8' 5wt. garrison taper. Looking foward to building the handle and reel seat and finishing the rod and fishing this winter yet or come spring.

I have participated in SS.com since it was essentially an AZ fishing log/chatroom back in the 1990's. I was a member of Desert Fly Casters and was really getting into fly fishing the AZ white Mtns and Mogollon Rim. Adam and his cronies posts of "slayed em in Unmentionable Creek below the Rim" got me jacked up to go do my own exploring. I lived in Az for almost 5 years and (due to no children and an outdoorsy understanding wife) fished well over 200 days in AZ, NM, and CO. Then had kids, moved back to Midwest (Ohio) and fish less but more effectively than when I was a young punk. I did re-start the Central Ohio Fly Fishers club which is doing quite well and allows about 50 of us to get together and tell lies, swap stories, make new friends, and raise money for Casting for recovery.

I am now addicted to bamboo fly rods but fortunately have become rationale and do no collect them but am in process of having 8 rods made (one for each member of family). 3 are done and being fished regularly, 1 is done and drying and about ready to ship. 2 are being built this winter and the rest i am thinking about.

I enjoy grassart becasue I learn about rod making.

I like to take pics and post a few pictorials per year.

I try to fish and take pics at different locales

from high mtn cutts:

to the salt

Gratuitous pic

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.