Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sushi

Re: sushi

Yeah I gotta agree with Adam on that one.Eel is very similar in taste to catfish.But I remember watching my grandfather fry up an eel the only time I ever tried it.It curled up and uncurled and just slithered around that big ol' cast iron skillet.Looked just like a snake does after you chop their head off.They will crawl around the yard from reflex action for quite a while even though they are stone cold dead.But OMG do I love fried snapping turtle.I'm not a real big fan of sushi but after a few beers and with plenty of hot sauce I'll imbibe a bit.

Love it and make at home all the time. :bigthumb: Doing rolls and combining cultures is quite fun. For example; Spicy Mexican rice cooked to a sticky rice texture and then the sustainable corVina from the Mar de Cortez or Toro from Japan. Basically just having fun experimenting with cultures and flavor profiles can actually be a blast with a few Negro Modelo's thrown into the mix.

Eel is by far one of the best but in most cases it's served smoked slash cooked so in essence it's not sushi. Raw eel is another story.

:clap:

Man I'm glad your back, hope your sending feathers at dawn's crack...
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Bravo! Nice looking meal indeed scented with the Kirin to tie it all together.

Chef, you are too nice.

M said she wanted to get a shot of our first sushi attempts so we could see if we are getting better as we go.

We shop at House of Rice in Scottsdale, a little oriental grocery. We need new dinnerware and I'm going to turn Japanese that way...

Next time I'll get the roll on a plate.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

No way it would have lasted long enough to reach a plate in our house....

Looks delicious Adam. I found that the look is hit and miss for me. Most of the time they look pretty good. If that's your first attempt, I have to say you did well. It comes down to patience and the careful adding of the ingredients in just the right amount. I think the amount of rice is the key but most of the time I think I add too much rice.

adam, the norimaki you prepared looks really nice.

By the way, unagi (eel) is not very popular for sushi in Japan, though people like the fish very much. Instead, they usually use anago (ah-nah-go; conger eel), which looks similar to eel but tastes very differently. For sushi, they cook anago in a sauce, which they don't throw away after cooking, but continue to use forever in the restrant. So the sushi of anago is sometimes considered to be a touchstone of the sushi restaurant.

I especially like the Sea Urchin !!!! Come down to Tucson and I will take you to Takamatsu !!!!! Fantastic selection of Sushi (Qual eggs don't count !!!! Can't get into Caviar either....never could).

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.