Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sushi

sushi

My wife and I have been making sushi. We have a oriental grocery store near the house, fish market is in the store. I can get Pompano, Little Necks, Maguro, Hamachi, Hokigai, Unagi and if I wanted, Quail Eggs (yuch!) or anything sushi. I have learned that you put a little sushi vinegar and a dash of sugar in the rice to make it sticky and taste good. The Niri paper is a personal choice, there are so many kinds. You don't have to have a mat to make the rolls either. I like hand rolls, I'm going to have to visit a sushi bar for some instruction, I can't get the cone right.

I love sushi and the $ to full ratio is about 100% more, easy.

Pictures to follow.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Titles are important to me Gerard's Avatar

Re: sushi

Yep, I like sushi but not all types – can’t handle tuna sashimi for example. I really love C.rolls. :bigthumb:
    Bertus is the man for sushi – he can conjure up a plate in no time. I recall a trip to the Maldives a few years back (in fact it was 6 years ago on November 2nd) where the guys caught some dogtooth tuna off the back of the boat – they were eating sashimi off the bone, just dipping it into shoyu and a bit of wasabi every now and then. :sick:
    "The fishing was so good I thought I was there yesterday."

That's what I want to do, right there in the boat.

Aloha Adam, we have sushi nights all the time. I make a bunch of ahi poke and cut up thin sliced ahi and mahi and ono for nagiri. We cut up the veggies, and avocados and get some flying fish eggs and make our own rolls and have fun. Get some good sake and enjoy a feast. We do have good local sushi bars to go to, but it is fun to make them at home. You are right about the rice and vinegar, try some shredded carrot and ginger in the rice next time.
    As far as sashimi off the boat, fresh killed fish is too chewy. It is better iced and cut up the next day. I have a big block in the fridge for tonight. I am going to steak a nice ahi and grill it with terriyaki sauce. It has been raining for a week now, and the first winter storm of the season has hit, but the ahi and mahi are still out there swimming around. It is just a litttle to dicey to go out this weekend with 20 foot swells. Mems.

My wife and I just started making sushi at home. For my nieces birthday we took fixings up to my sister's house to make California Rolls, Tuna, and Salmon. What a big hit that was. It's so easy if you don't care how they look. The taste is the important thing anyway, right?

It's like anything, making it look good is the art in it. Practice and all of a sudden, you make a $70 sushi meal at home for about $20 no problem.

I'm pretty careful about NOT storing the meat. I buy it from the fish market, it is slightly frozen and time it's thaw with the rice being ready to go.

Timing with sushi is everything as well.

Soon, we will try some more exotic rolls.

I'll post images soon.

Nice to read someone else does it and enjoys the path too.

My wife and I have been making sushi. We have a oriental grocery store near the house, fish market is in the store. I can get Pompano, Little Necks, Maguro, Hamachi, Hokigai, Unagi and if I wanted, Quail Eggs (yuch!) or anything sushi. I have learned that you put a little sushi vinegar and a dash of sugar in the rice to make it sticky and taste good. The Niri paper is a personal choice, there are so many kinds. You don't have to have a mat to make the rolls either. I like hand rolls, I'm going to have to visit a sushi bar for some instruction, I can't get the cone right.

I love sushi too. and why not? I'm a Japanese!
    With Maguro, Hamachi, Unagi, and even Hokkigai, it seems that I would be able to survive in Phoenix ;)

Titles are important to me Gerard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi

I love sushi too. and why not? I'm a Japanese!
    With Maguro, Hamachi, Unagi, and even Hokkigai, it seems that I would be able to survive in Phoenix ;)
    When it comes to eel (unagi) I'd pass... :sick: However, stripers love them and striper sushi should be good.
    "The fishing was so good I thought I was there yesterday."

My wife and I like unagi. Very tasty when done correctly.

Eel = unagi

I don't like it, my wife does. When I eat it, great taste but the idea just doesn't sit well so I don't eat it.

Sushi is an art, food art. Anyone can do it, it's all in the presentation. I enjoy honing the knife on sushi.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.