Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Made for small streams

Re: Made for small streams

Quote Originally Posted by LMarshall
    Quote Originally Posted by adam
    The Tenkarausa.com guys are really Tenkara happy, they want you to do it all the time, they made a forum for you to sell your fly fishing gear to get a discount on Tenkarausa.com rods. I wouldn't have taken that tack because I wouldn't want to attract people who just wanted to do one thing and one thing only.

I use a Tenkara rod for it's attributes and I leave it alone when a fly rod works, that's what I do.

Anytime I can fish very simply, I will.
    Adam, I think some of that vibe comes from the fact that tenkara is so new to most people doing it in the US. You gotta admit it's at least a little bit exciting.

I'll make a confession here; since getting my tenkara rod in August I haven't touched my fly rods. That's not because I've given up on them. I guess I've just gotten really caught up in exploring something new that lets you do the same old things in a fascinating and different way. Like anything it comes with some advantages and some disadvantages. But it's particularly well suited for certain stream environments. I've learned a lot fishing tenkara, and it's definitely changed the way I fish. I still plan on using my fly rods for big rivers and still water, but on almost any small to medium sized stream in New England with lots of riffles, short pools, and some pocket water, I'd rather have my tenkara gear.
    I totally understand, I use the "immersion technique" myself. I engage in an activity completely in order to understand it. As I grow older, I am more cautious and am getting better about remembering not to lose my head about what I enjoy.

Not that I am an old fart, at almost fifty, I guess I am but I'm not beyond being young and getting stoked on a relatively new experience, I'm just not going to forget where I came from and where I'm headed to.

Tenkara has not changed one bit, the way I fish, it's just another type of ultra-light fly rod of which I have based my small stream fly fishing in. I have fished wet flys in a greased line technique that is very productive. Rarely do I find that I need to fish the way that a tenkara rod excels in, wet fly fishing.

I love my Ebisu fly rod, it reminds me of when I fished a cane pole as a child.

That's why I enjoy it so much.

Adam: You don't know me; but, you helped me when i followed your small streams as I was trying to figure out fly fishing. It is ironic, that when I just learned of Tenkara, I thought first of you. You made fly fishing very simple; i.e., the few things hung around your string of old fly line, a few flies like the Adams in a simple box. Thanks for your outlook. It helped me.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

This method would be ideal for the small streams I fish, and for when trekking. I adopt a similar method with my ten foot rods. Shame we don't have a supplier in the U.K. Looks like I'll have to import from USA.

Any suggestions as to where to look?

Thanks

Bill :)

Tenkara Tenkara! Very interesting; But I love using a short rod with reel attached; and maybe a little casting when necessary! I'm afraid Tenkara, or Dapping as the Irish do it - is not for me!! But each to their own method I suppose! Interesting thread though!

Regards

Mostyn

springwell,

As far as I know, you have four choices:

You can order directly from Tenkara USA at http://www.tenkarausa.com/index.php?cPath=22

or from either of their two retailers: http://www.backpackflyfishing.com/store ... -rods.html or http://www.bearsden.com/page314.html

or you could sign up for a "stock alert" to get on a waiting list at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin ... vlEGoPiC_Q for the Hane rods which are specifically designed for backpackers. They sold out so quickly last time they were offered that I think perhaps only "members" who had gotten advance notice got on the list early enough.

As with all rods, each rod model is a compromise, so where you plan to fish and what you plan to catch are important in deciding which rod to get.

A couple of your countrymen have already made the plunge: http://www.tenkarausa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=69 and http://www.tenkarausa.com/forum/viewtop ... f=11&t=261. I strongly suspect Simon Hayes is the only angler in the world to have caught an atlantic salmon on a tenkara rod! :shock:

Mostyn,

I'm no expert in dapping, but my understanding of how the Irish do it is really nothing like tenkara. Tenkara is all casting - it is just casting a very light line so you get very delicate presentation, and the long rod allows you to keep your line off the water above tricky intervening currents. A breeze is not needed, in fact makes it much harder to cast the delicate line with the extreme accuracy that you can achieve on a still day. And in fishing small streams, for which tenkara was developed and refined over hundreds of years in Japan, I would guess most anglers don't actually need a reel for anything other than holding all that excess line. ;)

Many thanks CM for taking the time to dig the information out, its most appreciated. I certainly fancy giving it a go :)

We can only get "whips" and telescopic poles for coarse fishing over here, which don't really have the correct action it seems.

Mostyn, check out the websites, its not quite dapping !

As you know Mostyn I use a ten footer for most of my fishing, two reasons, less line on the water = more control. Delicate presenation is much easier with a long rod. Andrew and me regularly use leaders 15'-0 -18'-0" long, the flyline nevers gets beyond the tip ring.

Bill :)

Hi CM,

just had a look at Tenkara USA via the links you posted, Thanks! I like the idea of simplified fishing, especially if hiking to a mountain stream; and all you need for a days fishing being stored within the handle of a Tenkara rod! But many of the streams we fish are overgrown, it would be extremely difficult to lift the rod up-right or flex the rod for even a short cast! Would like to see a short video clip of someone using the Tenkara rod method of fishing, especially fishing on some small overgrown streams. I must admit to finding the concept of Tenkara fascinating; but not sure it's for me!

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

Bill,

I'll see how you get along with it! Do you think you could fish the Taff Fechan or the Honddu stream system with a Tenkara Rod? I like the idea of simplified fishing though!

Regards

Mostyn

Quote Originally Posted by springwell
    There are plenty of options, problem is, you will have to look at Japanese sites and be able to commerce with the Yen.

I've been working with a gentlemen here who has been helping me look for a way to introduce other Tenkara rods to the American market. Although I do think it is excellent that Daniel has helped introduce Tenkara to the USA, I feel we are worthy of other choices. I have never liked monopolies in anything and besides, if Tenkarausa.com is the best rod for the best price, then their rods will sell and all is good.

Stay tuned, I'll be looking for other avenues and I will be reviewing rods myself and also promoting other rods to be reviewed right here.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Fry

Quote Originally Posted by adam
    Quote Originally Posted by springwell
    There are plenty of options, problem is, you will have to look at Japanese sites and be able to commerce with the Yen.

I've been working with a gentlemen here who has been helping me look for a way to introduce other Tenkara rods to the American market. Although I do think it is excellent that Daniel has helped introduce Tenkara to the USA, I feel we are worthy of other choices. I have never liked monopolies in anything and besides, if Tenkarausa.com is the best rod for the best price, then their rods will sell and all is good.

Stay tuned, I'll be looking for other avenues and I will be reviewing rods myself and also promoting other rods to be reviewed right here.
    Cool, I'll be interested to see what you find.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.