Thread: Past articles

Titles are important to me Gerard's Avatar

Past articles

Gus, any possibility of getting some of the old Smallstreams posts back? There were a ton of nice articles - not sure if it was backed up somewhere?
    "The fishing was so good I thought I was there yesterday."

Re: Past articles

I've been commenting to Gus on this as I know you have written a ton of articles, I have, Chef has and importantly, the readership has...

I will not speak for Gus as he is in control of the old and new database.

I am not sure exactly why the old site was broken or what shape the data is in.

One of the things I struggled with when I ran the site before was how important the database was. At one point, the complete site was lost, totally gone. There was a "hiccup" in the pathway, where everything was pointed to and that pathway, a segment was erased, completely gone.

No one knew which galaxy that smallstreams lived at.

I almost lost it at that point as I had to deal with a HUGE business, starting from square one with e-mail messages, escalate to a phone call to a customer service rep, escalate to a technician and so on until at one point, I had reached one of the engineers high up who knew how to fix the path. After all those years of taking care of all of our stories, that is what did me in.

My point is, although BIGCAT drove the site, what made our stories more important than the kid in Sweden posting about Grayling?

Are we going to go in and extract just some of the stories and say no to others?

I asked Gus the same thing Gerard, it was not favorable, I asked him in a Private Message.

I'm wondering if you shouldn't have done the same thing but the short of it is, the question was eventually going to be asked in public here on the forum. It has already been alluded to by one person.

I'm thinking that it would be a hassle for Gus, a great big hassle.

It's already a time sucker for him in the first place, I know first hand.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

I'm going to see what I can do. No promises, but I'll try.

Quote Originally Posted by adam
    Are we going to go in and extract just some of the stories and say no to others?
    Nope Addy, I wasn’t thinking about the bigcat stuff only, but others as well. There were some lovely pieces written by other members. Let’s see what Gus can get back first (if anything) and start from there.

Quote Originally Posted by gstrand
    I'm going to see what I can do. No promises, but I'll try.
    Much appreciated Gus. Thanks for your effort.

Perfect.

You ~ we ~ Gus could make an area "smallstreams.com revisited" or something to that effect or just plug them in where they belong.

Gus has a tough job, can you imagine 30 people asking him to get their storys from an old database and posting them here? It's obvious that he is dedicated, but this stuff takes a lot of time and it's not always easy work.

That's what I was getting at.

I know there are people that I have forgotten about, they made these tremendous pieces of work for the site and for me, it would be difficult to explain why I placed some other persons story first or ommited theirs.

Anyway, I hope it works out for the best.

adam

Tried three times to get the database to extract in to a fresh database. keeps timing out... will keep on... :crazy:

I tried it originally and failed, before... It's not an easy task. If it were, SS never would have been offline for so long. Nick did try, this I know. :|

Try THIS for some of your older articles. I think you may be able to at least extract the text and if I'm not mistaken, you should have a back-up of your images on your end.

I have used this system when I could not access the database...

Hope this helps.

For just this sort of situation, I've taken to composing long emails, postings, and especially anything approaching creative writing in a text file (.doc, .rtf, etc), then copying the text into my email or post. That way, I've at least got a copy of my work if there's a hiccup anywhere in the chain of communications, or I find that someone has forwarded my work, including their own editing, but attributing it to me :x .
    -CC

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=71

I just built the above post using the below wayback.

http://web.archive.org/web/200101091203 ... Beach.html

I'll be doing this here and there.

I did see some of your articles Gerard, some of Chef's too. They are mostly in the earlier years, the ones available...

Quote Originally Posted by gstrand
    Tried three times to get the database to extract in to a fresh database. keeps timing out... will keep on... :crazy:

I tried it originally and failed, before... It's not an easy task. If it were, SS never would have been offline for so long. Nick did try, this I know. :|
    Don't sweat it too much Gus. It's good to have new beginnings and we'll soon create new history. :D

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.