Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stream eats?

Hybrid View

Stream eats?

I used to carry a power bar or two... until I discovered Larabars and Clif bars... now I always have one or two of either in my sling bag... We buy both by the case at Costco so they're readily available in the house (We have four kids from 18 down to 6 in the house...)

What do you take?

I have a small cooler bag approx. 6x9 inches. A few crackers, cheese, and ham or turkey and whatever fruit we have on the counter. I use one of those gel freeze packs that they ship with medicine to keep it all cool. I try to keep things as light as possible.
    Tight Lines

Crackers ,a chunk of a hard cheddar,and some beef stick.
    Then there's the little silver flask-for snake bites.

wet

Hey Gus,

Love this thread you started "Stream Eats" Any of you Ladies want to marry me? Ha-ha, I need looking-after and feeding up!

Winter: Flask of Coffee (laced with something) a pork pie and a Mars Bar, Summer: Bottle of water and some Harvest oat bars, tucked in my back pack. Travel lightweight the fishing is more important than eating when on the streams.

But I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through this thread!

Wow! You guys are eating large on the stream. Yesterday I took a roll of sweetarts that, after I ate the first one, I promptly dropped them into the river. Still ate the whole lot!

For me A piece or two of hard candy or for long range fishing a small bottle of poland springs water & a trail mix type bar.

I usually just Bear Gryls a trout right out of the stream . No just kidding. Water and a pb&j ,nuts and a Clif bar.
    Last edited by tyingfool; 08-28-2011 at 01:28 PM.

I normally don't eat much while on day trips, but when I do feel the need to bring food, it's usually a plain sandwhich - cheddar cheese with some black pepper, between wheat bread. Occasionally I'll throw some deli turkey on there. I'll pack some chips or crackers along as a side, maybe an apple or orange, or a candy bar for dessert. Usually I just take a couple liters of water with me, or in the winter when I'm burning more calories, gatorade.

Almost all my fishing these days is on the Brook trout creeks in the Great Smoky Mtns. NP and most of these are several miles from trails.In my pack I carry a folded sheet of heavy aluninum foil,a container of salt and pepper,and some olive oil,which with the addition of a small fire and a couple of Brook trout makes for a great streamside feast.This simple meal is really made special sometimes in early spring when Morels are added.

The thing I really enjoy is Earl Grey tea with dark brown sugar brewed in the old faithful US Army canteen cup(the old style with the handle that folds under and around the cup not the butterfly handles).Nothing like it to knock the chill off after wet wading on cool days.

smallstreams.com plankowner
    In alaska smallstreams . . . it depends on how much time you have . . . and what you're catching :-)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.