Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How do you carry your gear?

steve101

Re: How do you carry your gear?

I use this fishpond chest pack. It has a detachable backpack with hydration bladder but I rarely need to bring that along.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by john
    Adam,

I found my M3 at a surplus store years ago after you described carrying a claymore bag (if memory serves correct). Couldn't find one like you described but found the M3. Been carrying it ever since.
    You have an excellent memory...
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

I started with a vest, then I went to a waist pack from Bass Pro meant for hunters, then a lanyard, and I just got a new mini chest/waist pack. Here's the new one: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Allen-Fly-Chest ... 25595d23e1 I actually got mine from Cabela's Bargain Cave for $8. I haven't used it yet, but I think I'm really going to like it. There are loops that are intended for the waist belt to pass through while wearing it as a chest pack, but I'm just going to pass my regular belt through it and use it as a mini waist pack. I've also recently changed from chest-high waders to breathable hippers, so this pack really seems to fit my theme of simple, pared-down fishing (which is what it sounds like everyone is doing these days).

I've tried everything. The Orvis Otter Creek vest I had fell apart after 1 season and I found it bulky and warm, its Snowbee replacement was poorly designed, its Loop replacement was the same.

I've had William Joseph fanny packs (bum bags to us Brits - fanny has an altogether different meaning! :shock: ) and their equinox sling pack and chest pack combined. Neither had a useful place to keep a net, and the fanny pack kept slipping down. The equinox was just plain uncomfortable. I've had a fishpond chest and backpack combo and the Orvis sling pack. The fishpond was as warm as a vest and difficult to get at stuff in the backpack. Chest packs on their own just hurt my neck if I actually take all I need and you can't fit a rain jacket in there as well as water or a flask.

So I went to game bags, but there's nowhere to carry a net (not all our rivers can be waded so you usually need one). But where you can wade, I wear my waders, and the bag strap makes my wader shoulder strap buckle dig in to my shoulder.

So I'm going back to a vest. This time a Simms vertical guide. The design is nice and clean and not too bulky. It's coming from Simms to the retailer and should be here in a couple of weeks - can't wait. Hope the damn thing works!

Ben

I've tried waistcoats (vests) but I find them too bulky and warm and have too many pockets.

I've got a Simms waist pack but I find this more useful for lure fishing. I've also got one of the William Joseph Equinox sling packs. It's OK but I found it a bit bulky for my small stream fishing so I've delegated this one for my coarse fishing.

I now use a lanyard I've made myself ... It holds nippers, floatant, mud, forceps, tippet and a C&F fly box. Tapered leaders and a few bits and bobs go into a shirt pocket. Now all I need to do is catch a few fish :?

I like chest packs . They enaable me to wear a backpack . Ive used fishpond , clear creek and a couple of home made modified bags from Bag Shops . One was superb but I never found another when it wore out . In NZ we travel a lot on river beds due to low fish numbers. A typical day for me is 8 to 15 kms walking .
    The last 3 years Ive been using a Wright and McGill Metolious chest pack . Is roomy robust and comfortable . The best I have used so far in 18 years of wearing out or wrecking chest packs . Brought from Cabellas .

AT in korea in the mid-80's? trippy pic, mon.

I have traded in my rucksack for a much lighter pack now...

Korea was a big trip indeed, Japan even more so and Malaysia was off scale.

[attachment=0:1kbmx25b]Tsuttenkai.jpg[/attachment:1kbmx25b]
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

In one of these.

If I can't stick 'the stuff' in a few pockets .. .I've got far more on me than I really need. Couple spools of tippet, a box of flies and a short 'thingie' clipped to my shirt (forceps/hook remover, leader cutter, hook file ... and the most important, if anything goes to Hell in a Hand basket: a Police Whistle.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.