Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you carry your gear?

Re: How do you carry your gear?

I received my Recycled Waders nook sack today and I have to say I'm impressed with the quality. JB asked if it would hold a nalgene bottle so I put a 2.5 cup bottle in the bag and it took up basically half the bag, so if I were to carry a water bottle it would be like I thought, a water filtering bottle. That way I could have as much water as I need, but not have to carry the weight of the water all the time. The Nook Sack, a bottle for water, and a net is all I'd need for a day on the water. You could take a Camel Back for water too if you didn't want to use a filtering bottle. I'm trying to get the gear down to a minimum as much as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by rsetina
    I received my Recycled Waders nook sack today and I have to say I'm impressed with the quality. JB asked if it would hold a nalgene bottle so I put a 2.5 cup bottle in the bag and it took up basically half the bag, so if I were to carry a water bottle it would be like I thought, a water filtering bottle. That way I could have as much water as I need, but not have to carry the weight of the water all the time.
    Cool bag.

Take a look at the smallest "Platypus" hydration bag. It's a soft side bottle, weighs just grams and looks to be the size of the bag. That would fit and wouldn't take up space like the bottle pictured.

Quote Originally Posted by Brk Trt
    What state?
    This is a stream on the White Mountain Apache Reservation in Eastern Arizona. It is a stream that I lovingly call, "Brookville" and have written about it over the years. It's one of those streams that you wouldn't even give a glance at by the road but it goes and goes and is full of brook, browns and some sort of hybrid rainbow. By far one of my favorite streams due to it's diverse, changing course.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

less is more is always a good thing. lots of good ideas above. when i go out i tend to go for the whole day so i need a few more things, like food and water, and where i fish rain is often an afternoon occurance so a rain jacket is a must.
    this works AWESOME for what i do. i pack light but use it and i am good for the whole day of hiking in, fishing all day, and then hiking out.

fits my tweed hat, pipe, a dry pair of knickers and sport jacket:

wb4tjh

Over the past 40+ years, I have been thru a number of vests and chest packs, but I finally got tired of the walking tackle shop/Dolly Parton syndrome and decided I wanted to be able to see my feet. So for the past couple of years, I have been carrying a British made Chapman Fell 14 shoulder bag. It holds everthing I need, including a light Hardy rain jacket, water bottle, lunch and extra spools and several fly boxes. I've gotten rid of things I never use. It's light and comfortable, stays out of the way on my hip, and best of all, I can see my feet again. It also makes it a lot easier to get down to business when nature calls.

Simms Waist-pack. Light, compact, convenient.

I also use the Nook Sack from recycled waders. I noticed it first on Daniel in one of his TenkaraUSA videos. I don't always need it but the extra room over my shirt pockets is nice for extras like food and drink.

Randy

Willy Joe Amp chest pack. Just enough size to carry all I need including a flask...of water of course.

mikeytwoshoes

pockets.

I used to carry a Hardy "Brook" Bag, but now I'm apt to carry a backpack as detailed above. I am now using a ultra-light pack, less than a pound, mostly made of high tech spectra, kevlar and other strong, light fabric. Because my time is limited, when I fish, I'm hiking much much more and am moving towards overnighting onstream. Out of my pockets is my favorite, been writing about it for years but at this time I must say, I'm more apt to use a back pack. S.Brooks suggestion looks good although I don't really like a vest, that's the sort I could fathom.

Anyway, I'll probably be carrying two rods with me this season, a Tenkara rod and a pack fly rod. I've never done that before but the pack will allow it no problem. This down season, I've really been focusing on my kit, minimalist but so efficient, I spent some time on it and the people I meet doing the research all had pretty much the same ideas about what to carry. I'll be carrying a little survival kit as well. I hope that I never need it but do plan on using some items out of it to keep current.

One of my things to do is to find a spot to pitch the solo tent, three or four miles from the road and fish around the area out of my pockets. One meal of my wild trout, some spirits, pounding a little djembe to the tune of Apache Mountain songs, way high in the mountains...

Really stoked about fishing this year.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.