Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you carry your gear?

Fry

Re: How do you carry your gear?

A backpack I found on clearance at Eddie Bauer ($10) that has enough bungee to hold what I need it to is only used on full day or long hike in trips. Otherwise, cargo pants.

I hear you on the simplifying things. I flip between a lumbar pack for when I am carping and/or need the water on hot summer days and then go to a whatever I can stuff in a pocket or hang off my jeans the rest of the time. I catch about as many fish and don't sound like a circus coming to town.

A spool of tippet, a dozen or so flies, hemostats, nipper, camera sometimes...fits in two shirt pockets. Less is more.

jdm5047

I have some obscure product made by Sage, but its just a waist pack with a few pockets. Fits 2-3 boxes, tippet & leaders and any other gadgets I need. In some circles, it could be called a fanny pack :shock: but I love using it. I have and occasionally use a vest but I have found that 75% of my fishing can be done with the contents of the small waistpack. I spin it behind me when I'm fishing, but have the forceps hanging close for quick access.

I certainly prefer the minimalist approach to fishing, it certainly simplifies fishing. I find it no coincidence, though, that the consensus in this thread is "less is more". The small stream fishing mentality can apply many fishing situations.

I'll be getting a nook sack from Recycled Waders soon and that will be my new minimalist bag.

Rick,

I'd be interested to know how the new bag works out. I wonder if a Nalgene will fit (I think so) with a few other items. If so, it would make a nice pack for those "more than minimal" days on stream.

JB

JB, I'll let you know how it works out and if a Nalgene bottle will fit in it. It's only 3 inches wide but since it's a soft side it might. I was thinking a filtering water bottle would be just as good and refillable. Plus I wont have to carry the extra weight in water. I've really started to go more towards the minimalist style of thinking.

Minimalist, to me, means least amount of effort to hit the stream... as such, my vest fits the bill.

I leave it packed with my regular fly box, tippet spools, reel, floatant, fishing license, etc...

I grab that and My rod tube and I'm ready to fish. In the spring, it just stays in my car for afternoon quick trips.

Egg

I have been using the Filson strap vest for several years.
    Seems to keep what I need, and maybe a little more.
    Just got the Recycled Waders bag and it is great for a couple of boxes.
    Wear a running pack with water bottle on my waist.
    ~ ZM

Quote Originally Posted by adam

Fishing Tenkara style photography by mikeytwoshoes

HERE is a list of items I will be taking on 1-2 night pack fishing hikes.

Adam, beautiful little stream.

What state?

- Brk Trt

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.