Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Blades

Re: Blades

Adam, I second RAT cutlery. Great blades, and you will not find a better company. Read about their policies on the website, these guys are for real.

Gus, if you like the mora's, try a Helle. Awesome blades!

Quote Originally Posted by adam
    Quote Originally Posted by adam
    Gus, got any ideas for a survival knife?
    Gus, wasn't kidding, got any ideas for a compact fixed blade?

Something I can pound on the back and not worry about hurting it?

Inexpensive helps.
    RAT are good knives and great people. For sure.

Oh, for the record... My absolute favorite "sort of compact" (there is lots of handle) fixed blade is my Strider HT-T. I gave most all of my other fixed blades to my son after I got it, including the Kershaw Amphibian I got in High School (in like, '84?) and a KaBar... They are not cheap by any stretch (luckily I traded in to it), but it's a real beast. One big honking piece of S30v.

Here's a youtube of a guy putting one through tome torture:

[youtube:2stc1hdt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xudu3KwhIIc[/youtube:2stc1hdt]

Ok, I just checked out the Izula, it is perfect. I have a knife sort of like it called a "Peck" or something like it. I carry it but it is too petite. Same concept, just a bit too small and not enough of a guard against me slipping and cutting myself on the blade. The Izula is perfect, I'll get a pink one so I won't lose it.

I like the KaBar (Marine) but they are too heavy and I don't need that much knife.

I'll get the Izula, thanks to you guys.
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Good choice, and they come in a "survival" model as well...

I already have all that stuff tucked in a altoids size tin, a survival kit. I made a page on it at grassart and I'll try to code it over here. I'll also detail my other things below.

Watching the tanto vid and looking at the catalog, it made me think of when I was in the Army and all my jungle time. I remember going through tracking school in Malaysia, I carried a Gerber. It was a large two sided blade, long, but a good blade with some meat. It was a good chopper but you couldn't pound on it there for it was flawed. I gave it to a Malay soldier, he gave me his prayer beads. It was a gift but he insisted. I still have those beads hanging in the bathroom.

I'm collecting my things to do a little ultra-light backpacking. I'm planning on doing straight through hikes in the 10-20 mile range, two to four days. One is on the Mogollon Rim, the others are in the Grand Canyon. I need a good knife and I'm not interested in breaking the bank and it also needs to be light, hence my choice in the Izula. Already have a wire saw and all the magnesium stick, purification tabs, signal mirror blah blah blah I'm going to do it tarp and ground cloth style with a bug screen just over the top half of my bag. Way light, like 10 pound pack base weight.

Just going through the list, you guys helped keep it light.

Thanks for keeping the light on.

Cool! On another site I spend lots of time at a guy makes titanium fire pistons - no need for matches, firesteel, or anything... :) Just the piston and some cloth...

Nice.

I carry a bits of tinder for my magnesium.

Hey, I have a lot of stuff that I bought building my survival kit.

Send me a PM with your address and I'll send you a little present. A friend of mine gifted me a bunch of little metal skulls that he made, poured at a foundry, small ones, perfect for a bead like I see in your knife images. If you want the survival kit bits, I'll send them on to you, altoid tin size, almost a complete set along with a couple of skull beads.

I would show you an image but I have to allow smallstreams.com to show pictures from grassart.net site. Which reminds me to give permisssions.

:D

Anyway I'll send it on.

Yours.

I would be happy to gift it (them) to you.

Adam, you will be 100% happy with the izula.

Adam,
    A Kabar from a military surplus store won't cost an arm and a leg.While not as compact or a good looking as the Rat suggested by Gus,there is a reason that the USMC issued them for such a long period of time.
    Will

I should have noticed that there was a second page and read it before making a post about a knife you had already discounted :roll: That'll teach me.

Quote Originally Posted by greendrake
    Adam,
    A Kabar from a military surplus store won't cost an arm and a leg.While not as compact or a good looking as the Rat suggested by Gus,there is a reason that the USMC issued them for such a long period of time.
    I carried a Kabar when I was in the service before I carried the Gerber.

Good knife, a little heavy for what I want to do and besides, they don't make them in pink big boy.

[youtube:h913ni19]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYEb2G-Axa0&feature=related[/youtube:h913ni19]

http://www.knivestown.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.