Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there one you search for?

Is there one you search for?

Is there a reel that you would just love to have but have never been able to find? For me,it's a left hand wind,3" Hardy St George pre WWll. with the red agate line guard and leaded finish.LHW Hardys are rare in the St George and the Perfect models.I've been looking for one of the St Georges for 25 years now with no luck.Now that I'm retired, I won't be able to afford one even if I do find it.Oh well,the sun will still rise in the east tomorrow.

Re: Is there one you search for?

I had always wanted a Perfect. Scored one of the Winston ones a few years ago, and it was nice, but I felt like I was having to baby it, so off it went. Same thing for an Ari Hart. Wanted, got, nice but... sold. What I realized is that for me reels were sort of "rod jewelry." I wanted a real pretty one, but just a simple gold band does the job, so to speak.

Thus, I have gone full circle on reels (pun intended) and now just have a couple Loop Traditionals and my good old Battenkills.

Some of the new Waterworks reels are pretty cool, the new Loops are nice.

The reels that stick around with me are Hardy lightweights and Medalists...
    Japan: Tsuttenkai, Jolly Fishers, member since 2010

Adam you would absolutely love the medalist I bought tonight!!!!!! There is one for sale at Clarks right now for $265.One sold at Clarks just last week for $275.Today at that auction I mentioned over at Grassart,I bought a 1930's in the original box with 95% of the original finish 1494 with the round line guard and the amber handle.It has the sculpted pillars and there was a spare spool included.[b]I got it for $40![b] I was going to put it on Clarks for $300 but I've pretty much convinced myself to keep it even though it's RHW because they loooook sooooooo good on bamboo.
    Will

PS I went nuts at the auction because they took credit cards but when I sell the 3 Grangers I bought even after I pay off what I put on the CC I'll make a profit that will be equal to at least 1/2 months disability check from SS :D

Edit: Hey look at that the bold icon didn't work :?

Titles are important to me Gerard's Avatar

I’ve always wanted a Saracione and found something even more special, a limited edition Bellinger-Saracione. They are so well machined and smooth.

I did search for a Ari Hart Remco for a while. I ended up finding one in Germany last year. It really is a work of art.

I’m sorta on and off on the lookout for a midnight blue Seamaster. Not that I would fish it but I always wanted to see what they are like. Maybe someday...
    "The fishing was so good I thought I was there yesterday."

I used to want reels proportioned for each line size but, having only one reel, a '77 CFO III, I "made do" for about 20 years until my financial circumstances improved to exceed my obligations. Through the late 80's and 90's, I went through phases as the plethora of new reels hit the market: shiny black finishes, super lightweight, and disk-drags--there were many. I found that I really don't much like jewelry-like finishes after they get scuffed up, and soon lost my taste for shiny reels altogether. The lightest reels out there just don't strike me as very durable--wrongheaded of me, I'm sure, but I can't bring myself to fish one in the mountains. Disk drags are nice, but too complex for the trout and bass I go after. I did go through a few years fishing only Featherweights, and they are truly fine reels that I'd recommend to anyone.

Once again, though, I find myself fishing only vintage CFO III's--not exactly sure how many frames and spools I have, as spools especially seem to multiply on their own. They're quickly interchangeable, wear life's little injuries with grace, and the dull finish isn't going to send out any reflections. It's particularly convenient, when I'm testing different lines on a rod or a new line on different rods, to be able to quickly remove a spool from the cageless frame and switch it out without having to dig around for the tippet end to re-string the rod. All that said, I wouldn't mind a sweet little St. George if I were to come into some mad money, and I'll pick up a Martin MG3 someday if a really nice one comes my way for a good price.
    -CC

Had a CFO once... Borrowed from Tom Rosenbauer... Had to give it back, but Loved it. Sweet reels for sure.

I love my Orvis Batenkill Bar stock II. Great reel for a decent price. For small streams, I don't see me wanting anything else.

I must say for reliability and longevity also ease of use; I like the Orvis BBS range I have 4, in three different sizes, all British made! I love em.

Quote Originally Posted by gstrand
    Had a CFO once... Borrowed from Tom Rosenbauer... Had to give it back, but Loved it. Sweet reels for sure.
    Gus,
    I just put a CFO ll with a peach line on it and 2 spare spools that both have a peach line on them up for sale on
    http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/forums/97 if you are interested.
    Will

PS I should've mentioned that it's one of the early Hardy made CFO's

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.