Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your best stick?

Re: Your best stick?

Small stream favorites:

3wt – 6’9” 2 piece/1 tip cane rod, slow and smooth but strangely powerful once you know the cadence. Will drop a small fly with delicacy, or throw a small streamer after tinkering with the leader. A gift from my friend Denny Hook, who made the rod.

4wt – 6’3” 2 piece/2 tip Paul Young Midge. A crisp cast with light leaders and small flies, and the power to bring in a bruiser. I wore out one reel with this one, but the rod is still in excellent shape. This rod was made in the early 1960’s. I bought it, until then unused, in 1981, for $95.

5wt – 6’9” 2 piece/1 tip homemade rod carved from hardwood store dowels. Medium fast, good in the wind and good with small to large trout flies. Grip and reel seat were carved from a piece of pine, and reel bands are ¾” copper tubing. Material costs estimated at $12.

SnooKen

My favorite rod has yet to be made but I think I know what it is going to be. I met a cane rod maker in Oregon this summer. Two of his rods, each owned by a different person, really rang my bell. One of them for its casting qualities and the other for its cosmetics. As always, though, there is a catch. If I had that dream rod and my house caught on fire would I first rescue the rod or my wife?

Ken

Ken,

There is lotsa' women out there.On the other hand,good bamboo rods that really speak to you are far and few between.
    I'm just sayin' :roll:
    Will

LeoCreek

My favorite small stream stick is a Steffen glass 8' 3/4wt 3pc (I fish it as a 4wt) I built on a blank. I also really like a Steffen 8' 4/5wt 4pc (fish it as a 5wt on smaller waters), and a McFarland Spruce Creek 7'6" 4wt 3pc (also built on blanks). Pure butter!

For graphite, I've hung onto a Scott G 8' 4wt 3pc, a Fisher Original 8' 4wt 4pc, and an older Orvis Clearwater 7'9" 5wt 2pc (Far and Fine blank), all 3 very special rods.

The 9 foot 5/6 weight Graphite ole cowboy rod of mine !!!!!! Gets the job done !!!!!!!! :twisted:
    Can also be used as my son would say, as a drive by colonoscopy for those that are overly anal !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    There, I greatly improved my casting form even though I have to use my left hand !!!!!!!! LMAOROFL :evil:

mikeytwoshoes

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinefly
    My best stick will be the 7 ' 4 weight that Mike Shay has made me, if he ever gets the rod wrapped and dipped !!!!! lol
    I don't think that that's good form on a public forum, john.

I can't say I have a lot of experience with different rods especially for stream fishing, but this year I purchased the Hardy Glass "The Aln" which is a 5ft 2wt rod for fishing the small river I'm a member of and to next season go searching more streams. I've fallen in love with it and think it's fantastic. I can even cast a fair distance when needed, well a fair distance for me anyway ;) I'm even thinking of taking it for a spin on the rods namesake, the river Aln in Northumberland, England, I sort of feel I need to / have to :D

I did inherit a bamboo rod earlier this year but I have absolutely no information on it, what size line it would take etc. so sort of scared I'll overload it. I don't know how much abuse a bamboo rod could take in that respect. I did try and contact the makers of the rod but they were next to useless. :roll: I think the rod is from a few decades ago and so the company didn't really seem to know, which I thought was a bit pap!

This is a tough one for me! Because I'm waiting to take delivery of a new custom built BAMBOO! From : Tim Harris of HarrisFlyRods; It's a 6ft.3in, #3,weight, 2, piece, cane rod! Should have it before Christmas and I'm hoping it will be my favourite; But, at the moment, my favourite stream rod is a Greys GRXi 7ft,#2/3,weight, that I use with a Orvis BBSII and an SA Mastery #3,DT line! Although, it can be a bit long for some of the streams I fish.

Bamboo will take just as much or more abuse than graphite.Of course, neither one stands up very well to having a car door slammed shut on them.If you have access to a micrometer mic the tip of the rod and find out what size ferrule if it's a 2 piece and we might be able to give you a good idea of what size line to try first.
    I've seen pics of Tim Harris' bamboo rods as he posts at the Classic Fly Rod Forum.He builds beautiful rods.You'll enjoy it.

mikeytwoshoes

I have been thinking about this. it os hard to say what yer favorite or best stick is.

before I started fishing bamboo I had a couple of favorites. or more.
    far and away I caught my best and biggest fish on my winston lt. 8'9" 5wt.
    I built a gatti 8'0" 3wt that was sweet beyond compare and I tried to break that sob on some slobs on the san juan. it never let me down.
    I bought my wife a st croix legend ultra 9' 5wt for her birthday one year and fell in love w/ that rod. I'd choose it instead of the winston or sage. she loves it to this day and doesn't even want me to build her a bamboo rod (she wants me to build one for one of you).

bar none though over the past few years I've been fishing a f.e. thomas 7' 3wt that is the sweetest damn casting and fishing rod I've ever held. it's my first choice on nearly any river. ironically it's the second bamboo do I've ever built and I doubt I'll bump it from first string. it's that sweet. I'd post some bent rod shots of the rod in action but most of y'all have seen them already.

finished it two years ago. like october 27. since then I've built 20. that's a lot.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.