PDA

View Full Version : Fluorocarbon tippet

51BC
07-11-2013, 06:42 AM
It was recently pointed out to me that fluorocarbon tippet not only lasts longer on the spool, but also in the environment. I'm not sure I'm ready to give up fluorocarbon tippet, but it is food for thought.

trout-nut
07-11-2013, 08:46 AM
I know what you mean. I did an experiment with myself one year to see which caught more fish. The flourocarbon won hands down. The only thing I don't like is the cost of it. I started buying the guide spools. I still occasionally use the mono tippet.

terry
07-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Its negative impact on the environment is what keeps me from using it. I just can't stomach the idea of hurting my native trout streams to catch a few more fish. Seems kind of selfish.

I would like to see a detailed report on exactly on bad it is, or how long it takes to degrade. It could change my mind.

martin_b
07-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Well terry, how long do you think nylon takes to break down into nothing?

terry
07-12-2013, 10:46 AM
From what I have read, 600 years. Supposedly, fluoro is over 4,000 years. Thats enough difference for me.

I should add that I fish mainly for very opportunistic brookies that receive very little pressure, if any. If I fished a lot for more selective fish, than I might consider the advantage of fluoro over mono big enough to overlook the negative impact.

51BC
07-13-2013, 06:57 AM
I fear that the whole issue is far more complex than what most of us would prefer. When these materials 'break down', what do they break down into and where does all that go? I'm not advocating we all go back to stone tipped spears, just sort of thinking out loud.

terry
07-13-2013, 07:57 AM
Anyone have any experience with bio line?

adam
07-15-2013, 06:28 PM
I use a Japanese nylon, fluorocarbon only if the fish say so.