PDA

View Full Version : The One

fdavis
04-09-2013, 07:50 AM
I once heard it described as that: The ONE. Quite a statement when referring to a stream.

That was before I fished it for the first time. 2000 I think. I was in my final year of school and super keen to get to Uni in Stellenbosch; a small wine farming town with a rugby problem on the edge of some of South Africa's most renowned trout area.

I eventually made it up the stream a couple of years later. I hadn't been told where it was or how gain access, just a name and that it was the ONE. So I eventually sought it out with buddy Rex Fey. And we were wowed. Its steep gradient stream with deep pools and big fish. Probably some of the very best South African stream trout reside in this river. Seemingly untouched, we were mesmerised!

We made several trips over the years and I still revisit the stream now and then. The fishing is still good but everyone seems to know it now and has fished it. Back then it was a semi-secret. Steeped in mystery and big trout.

Rex has been sending me photos of his African trouting adventures for a series on the blog. In amongst was a folder named The ONE. It contained photos from one of our numerous trips up the kloof. This hike was in 2005. Thought you may enjoy a few.

Enjoy. All the photos are at http://feathersandfluoro.com/2013/03/28/reminiscing-jan-du-toits/
PS - Procrastinate with a game of 'spot the trout' in the first pic!

504 505 506 507 508

AZWanderings
04-10-2013, 12:10 PM
That is one of the prettiest streams I've ever seen. Very cool.

Ben

ACLakey
04-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Looks like an epic place to fish, thanks for posting this.

ofuros
04-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Cool, clear, boulder strewn headwaters....looks grrreat to me. :thumbup:
Thanks for posting this little gem, fdavis.

via the information highway.......

adam
04-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Gerard used to post about South Africa quite a bit. That's what made this place so cool, just like you.

Wallyran
04-11-2013, 05:08 PM
A thread years ago about a South African "Stream of Dreams" comes to mind: I wonder if this is "The One"? Great pics, fantastic water.

fdavis
04-12-2013, 12:43 AM
"Stream of Dreams"... There are a particular few streams that might be described as this. Would be so interesting to find out which one was being referred to. Could have also been the Witels which is a brownie stream that winds its way to nowhere up a mountain kloof in Western Cape. Thanks for the positive responses :)