PDA

View Full Version : smallstreams book?

gusstrand
12-10-2012, 04:28 PM
It's been batted around before, and Adam is starting one about Tenkara - Would anyone be interested in contributing to a smallstreams.com book?

I'm thinking along the lines of your stories - there are wonderful writers with terrific experiences here, and I would love to think that a book, or at least an ebook, would be something that we might be able to pull together.

Format-wise, I'm thinking possibly a few quick profile questions followed by a story of your smallstreams endeavors? What fishing small streams means to you, etc. I'm thinking a 1,000 word basic guideline for the story length (that's about four pages.)

I'd write a new one, some of you already have some.

It would be a community project, for the good of the community, and if we could pull one off, who knows, maybe we could make future volumes. I woul love to see contributors from the many places we all represent. I would also want to limit it to a specific, yet to be determined number of contributors. Fifteen comes to mind.

Anyone game for giving it a try? Slow project, but a fun one. If I get enough takers, I'll create a permission based forum for the group to write, proofread, etc. so the book is truly "new" content and not necessarily recycled already available smallstreams posts. If you worry about your writing in any way, don't. Participating in this is about the desire and helping each other if needs arise.

What say you?

1. Gus
2. ksbioteacher
3. Adam
4. Ernest
5. Lone Wulff
6. Brooktrout
7. Trucha
8. mems
9. wallyran
10. Anthony

ksbioteacher
12-10-2012, 04:46 PM
I might be interested....

Might be fun working in a different genre--certainly a challenge. Don't know if the writing skills will be up to snuff but I'm willing if you are game......wait, wait that didn't come out right. See what I mean.

gusstrand
12-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Always game! I'll add you to the list of the willing!

adam
12-10-2012, 08:36 PM
Count me in...

Ernest
12-11-2012, 05:57 AM
I will join if the group will have me.

Lone Wulff
12-11-2012, 06:22 AM
Sign me up. This is going to be fun.

Will the use of pictures be permitted to enhance one's work, or will it be limited to purely writing? Will it be limited to actual fishing related experiences or will there be other genres such as (fishing related) fiction? I'm just brainstorming here.

Trucha
12-11-2012, 08:50 AM
This sounds interesting.

gusstrand
12-11-2012, 09:47 AM
Want me to put you on the list, Trucha?

I think the genre is really up to the participants as to fiction or not. I don't necessarily want to dictate that but this is a community project. What do you guys think?

On photos, I'm not sure. Again, what is the consensus? I was actually thinking about a similar standalone project for photos...

gusstrand
12-11-2012, 10:08 AM
Working forum for this project has been created. :thumbup:

gusstrand
12-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Oh, and if we don't get fifteen, it doesn't matter. We will move it forward with however many we get!

Brooktrout
12-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Count me in. I like the idea of including pics but if you/everyone decides to do a separate project for photos that would be cool too. I just wanted to say quickly that while Adam had a stroke of genius when he started the original smallstreams.com, you have also been genius both in your dedication and creativity with regards to the site. Long live smallstreams.com, and thanks.

Trucha
12-11-2012, 04:15 PM
Gusstrand, count me in.

gusstrand
12-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Brooktrout and Trucha, you guys are added.

mems
12-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Aloha, I don't get to fish small streams as much as I'd like but I can put in a bonefishing or bluewater adventure for you guys. If it has to be small streams I can put together something from past trips. I hope we can add pictures, I like the photo essay type fromat, but can do more prose if that is what you are after. Sounds like a cool collaberative effort, Mems.

gusstrand
12-11-2012, 06:09 PM
bones and blue are good, too, Don!

Wallyran
12-18-2012, 07:07 PM
I'd like to give it a try: Sounds like fun!

Anthony
01-20-2013, 09:15 AM
I'd love to do this - if you'll have me.

here's a few links to some small stream blog posts on my blog so you can have an idea of my writing:

http://castingaround.anthonynaples.com/2012/06/small-streams

http://castingaround.anthonynaples.com/2012/10/more-autumn-small-stream-fishing

http://castingaround.anthonynaples.com/2012/07/local-small-stream-compromises

adam
01-20-2013, 04:52 PM
Gus, please consider Anthony.

I like what he is about.

gusstrand
01-20-2013, 05:23 PM
Totally. :) wallyran and Anthony, let me know if you can see the book forum...

Alpinefly
01-24-2013, 06:02 PM
There is so many great small stream willderness adventures that belong in a book. Certainly a nice idea.

mikeywill
04-09-2014, 05:14 PM
i am new and nobody
but when saw this thread
a title for your book
popped right into me 'ead

small streams: consciousness and other flows