PDA

View Full Version : Hello from northern Illinois

LilD
12-08-2012, 10:16 PM
Yep Illinois where so far Ive found not much desirable as far as stream fishing goes. Luckily we are not too far from Wisconsin and Iowa so a couple hours drive has you in the driftless. I fished alot growing up but after high school I didnt pick up a pole again until last fall, about 30 years. Up until last summer Id never cast a fly either. Im slowly getting the hang of casting a fly rod and cant wait to get out and put some trout on it.

Ernest
12-09-2012, 08:12 AM
Welcome to smallstreams from a long time member who approaches the driftless, a green and golden land, from the north.

mems
12-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Aloha Lil D, I went to New Trier East and college at Madison. Lots of fishing in the great north woods, smallies and musky are good fun on the fly. If there is water, and lake michigan is pretty big, then you have an opportunity to flyfish. Just get out the rod and keep practicing. There are even some shops in the chicago area. Door county has some nice steams. Isle royal is good fun for brookies. Just jump in the car, get some leinenkugels and cheese curds and go fish a stream, or lake or pond or whatever. The driftless area has trout, but there are many more opportunities there than just that. Mems.

LilD
12-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Oh yeah. We fished the big lake in the spring and got a load of salmon and lake trout, fished some rivers and lakes in northern IL and southern WI but theres something very appealing to me in trout streams. Not saying I wont ever fish our local lakes again but sure would like to spend a good years worth on the hunt for trout.