PDA

View Full Version : Orvis' Battenkill Disc

Lotech Joe
09-30-2012, 08:02 AM
About 10-12 years ago I purchased an Orvis Battenkill Disc fly reel. It met every requirement that I needed for the type of fly fishing I do, and I liked it so much that I bought a second one. The first was made in England and the second somewhere in the Pacific Rim. For me, they do the job flawlessly and they are my choice of reel for the $79 - $129 price range. My heartache here is that Orvis has decided to discontinue that line of fly reel. So, if you had to replace your favorite $100 reel but found them unavailable, what reel would you choose. My Battenkills match up perfectly with my 4 & 5 weight rods.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v420/Lotech1/100_1016.jpg

Doctor
09-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Just me ,
I will not buy new reels ,the last few years has seen me buying reels made in the UK that have been pre used .
Hardys Allcocks,Farlowes,JW Youngs,and a Dingley .these reels ranging from tiny up to 4.25 " all do for my fishing which might be tiny streams up to the big salmon rivers of Scotland .
Will say I have a Battenkill click that does a good job especially at mayfly time ,and that was a UK made one .

Ernest
09-30-2012, 09:00 PM
Some of my reels are 20 or 30 years old. They run to Orvis, Hardy Marquis knockoffs built by Hardy for Scientific Anglers, and a few old Medalists for my heavier rods. This year I wanted another reel for my 4wt rods, and a small volume tackle merchant/friend sold me a new click reel for $100 that is well made and meets my needs. I don't know who made the reel; it has the word "Fishon" on the back plate, along with an etching of a bear with a fish in its mouth. Unfortunately my friend said the company made a line of reels for just a short time before going out of business. When I want a reel, I'll ask around, and usually like Doctor buy a sound pre-used reel. I've gotten some good reels for not too much money.

p.s.: After writing the above, I found on the internet the Fishon Black Bear No. 1 Classic Fly Reel, the one I have, for $110. This is a small, well made click reel. I hook a number of fish every month that I play off the reel, and a click reel works for me. I've never felt I lost a trout in a stream or a pond because I didn't have a drag on my reel.

gusstrand
09-30-2012, 09:26 PM
I love my Battenkills. I have two of them, left over when I taught the Orvis fly fishing classes, about 12 or 13 years ago. Love those reels. With a Battenkill 3/4 and 5/6, a Loop 2 and a Loop 2W and extra spools or two for each, I'm good for almost anything I need here in TX.

Lotech Joe
10-01-2012, 02:06 PM
I'm curious if anyone has any opinions (good or bad) about the Loomis Venture reel.