PDA

View Full Version : Disc golf.. redux

gusstrand
07-20-2012, 11:53 AM
Digging this one back up.

With my son home from college we've been playing a bit this summer. I lost a ten year old 149g favorite bomber to a lake this week - it was windy and I usually arc it in from the tee (anhyzer, I guess) - Instead I released it a little too flat and with the wind it totally flattened out and, well, it sailed straight out in to the lake - never hooked a second. Sweet line drive, but not on target...

So I used the lost disc as an excuse and bought another "Candy" disc - I have Champion Boss that I like, but I have two Wraiths in my bag that are go-to drivers. One is the regular low end plastic and my tank. If I have to thread a needle between oaks, it's the one. It's all beat up from trees. The other is the "pro" plastic, and now there's a sweet tie dye candy Champion Wraith to keep them company.

With those drivers, my KC Pro Roc and Wolf Mids and my Omega soft Putter, I'm ready. Of course, there are others in the bag, but those are the mainstays.

Been playing, Adam?

adam
07-21-2012, 09:10 AM
http://www.facebook.com/v/3551759907577%22%20

I've been practicing rollers, a cool air shot that turns over on edge and then just rolls about 20% longer than you can throw it. I'm thinking that you should be able to see it if you click the link.

adam
07-21-2012, 09:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oplj5ZMWd_w

Even before those Blizzard discs came out, I'm knifing a light DX Wraith (147g) off the T. I use a 135g Blizzard Wraith now. I can get it 300+ pretty consistently.

adam
07-21-2012, 09:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0O6R3gAMz4

I used to have this great side arm shot but now it is gone.

I'm struggling through a shoulder pinched nerve on the right side. I am in pain most of the time now. Pain goes away during the day to about a 1-2 and then at night up to a 5 sometimes. I don't use a pillow any more, sleep no pillow on my back, that is the best way I can reduce the pain.

So I started to throw left handed.

Left handed.

I just stepped up to the T one day and decided that I had another arm left and "mirrored" the throw left handed and it went straight low long and far. I've been throwing left handed off the T now for about three months and I can now throw left just as far as my right.

It is absolutely amazing for me, it feels different but it looks just like my right but mirrored. I can throw left or right to get the disc to finish either way but have completely lost the side arm throw above, it just kills my shoulder.

The shoulder injury is not due to disc golf, the throw sidearm just aggravates the pain.

I still play every single Sunday morning with the same three friends and we are on our fourth year now.

Way cool.

I'll vid myself off the T left side.

Try that.

adam
07-21-2012, 09:51 AM
My light bag consists of:

Drivers:
135g Blizzard Wraith x2 (goto driver)
135g Blizzard Boss (long straight driver with fade)
175g Max weight Star Roadrunner (custom dye) for rolling.
175g Max weight Star Roadrunner (risk around water) roller.

Midrange:
150g Champion Banshee (hook)
150g DX Dart (approach straight)
135g R-Pro Dart (long straight approach)

Putter:
175g Star Aviar Driver (goto putter inside 50')
175g R-Pro Hydra (floating putter)

I have a tourney bag that I use in the winter. It just has room for more discs that I use and enjoy every once in a while.

Since my shoulder is messed up, I carry a lighter bag and disc down and my score has not really changed.

Disc golf is a regular activity and learning to throw left handed has really helped me to keep in the game. I can make the disc curve right or left now and even though I lost the side arm shot, I've gained so much in learning to throw left.

gusstrand
07-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Those blizzard wraiths and boss in those weights have to fly like nobody's business! Never tossed a blizzard line.

adam
07-21-2012, 01:16 PM
The "distance" is about "light" The new Blizzard plastic is cavitated champion plastic. It is less dense. The density or mass concentration has something to do with stability but for me it's about light. My favorite disc is a 147g DX Wraith, a certain run, domey with the flight numbers on the plate. The DX plastic beats in and changes the flight characteristics so if you are bashing trees, they don't last long. The Blizzards are readily available and are more durable. I still have a few of the DX's brand new as back ups when I got to throw that thing a mile but the Blizzards do most of the duty, I feel I can shape the shot more with them.

My game is changing as I grow older and shoulders go cruntchy. I'm doing way more roller shots with max weight discs. You want them heavy as you can to carry inertia. I've thrown a couple far and had them roll forever. You shape the roll on the ground, amazing shot.

Still no ace but I've been nailing really long approach shots with a light (135-150g) "Dart (http://www.discgolfcenter.com/main_displayProductList.php?sn=dart)" It's an old school disc, I don't use it as a putter although some do. Shots in the 100' and hitting the pole splitting the chains. My old experienced pro friend doesn't like the "feel" of it but man I sure do. It is an amazing disc for me, combo'd up with my Aviar Driver and I'm good.

My game goes like this: bomb the basket and putt it in for two, that's what I strive for. Every hole making an ace and if miss, putt it in. I end up usually around 60 or so (54 par 3 for 18), we play par three on every hole no matter how long or short.

We have been playing a regular golf course that has put in baskets, you use a cart and tee off between ball golfers. The additional revenue is saving the course.

I think you will see more of this in the future.

gusstrand
07-23-2012, 03:28 PM
So I post that I tossed a disc in to the lake, and last night I'm on lucky hole #13 again - after pulling a LOT of 2's on this course we take new folks to with the church college class, mostly with my lighter Champoin Beast and my Buzzz for the shorter holes. Two of the college age guys play at least 5 days a week and honestly playing with them upped my game. Half the holes on this course are ace possibilities for them, but none last night.

Hole 13 taunts me when we get there.

I grab my oldest Wraith, a beat to heck yellow DX, and wing it. I over compensate for the fear of the lake and hook off in to the rough on the left side. When I say rough, think four to six foot tall weeds - mostly those dang little eighth of an inch burr plants and wild sunflowers. Those burrs... I spend fifteen minutes looking for it, and blow it off. I spend another 20 minutes in between tosses pulling burrs off of myself. At least it wasn't a "good" disc. I've lost like three in ten years, now it's two in as many weeks.

So I head down to our local Wal-Mart by the house... they carry a few DX and Pro discs, likely because of their proximity to our Old Settlers (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=541) course. There was a 150g DX wraith waiting for me.

Score.

adam
07-24-2012, 01:31 AM
I often throw over water.

I don't know how many discs I've thrown just out of reach with my string. Just floating there, $17 50' away...

Loosing discs is a part of the game for me, a little bit more expensive than loosing a ball but much on the same level.

I have a couple of discs that are four years old, I just never lost them because they are putt and approach discs that I am very accurate with.

gusstrand
07-24-2012, 09:25 AM
This hole isn't even over water, just beside it. It's my recent nemesis, and it' not a difficult hole.

Yeah, the putters and approaches, they stay with you. Like the jeans or ballcap that just "fits". I still have my first putter, and old Aviar. These days I use either my Omega super soft or my star Aviar, depending on my mood and need.

adam
07-24-2012, 08:56 PM
I am now using Innova Darts. I don't like them but they work better for me than Aviars. I am hitting with them much much farther out and now even close in. So I use them even though I don't like 'em.

Disc golf is so much fun, it is a true hippy sport.

adam
08-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Ahh, new course, Greenfield Lakes Golf Course, a ball golf course that put in 36 baskets. You share the course with ball golfers, riding carts, awesome.

Played a great game today except...

I chose my max weight Roadrunner for the long pins, two long drives for me but one roller. Step up, HEAVE the heavy Roadrunner flying hitting the ground on edge standing up and rolling, straight into a pigeon.

Big puff of feathers, dead, instantly.

Second bird I've killed playing disc golf.

Not cool.

But a great game, best I've played.

Long course, nearly par, only second time playing.

gusstrand
08-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Not cool, but humorous in a sort of sick way. One of the college age kids I played with this summer nearly took a dove out as it crossed his disc's path on a long drive. Inches.

My family gave me some cool stuff yesterday for my birthday - a nice Innova Deluxe bag (been using a starter bag for like seven or eight years, just filling it to bursting and swapping discs in and out of it) a 149g Blizzard Wraith, a Dragon as a tongue in cheek nod to my disc eating lake, and a Viking for fun with my geneology. I wanted a Blizzard Wraith - I think I have five or six Wraiths in almost every plastic and varying weights, lost count. They work for me. The family likes to buy discs for the stamps like the Viking. LOL.

Been trying to get the hang of the Blizzard discs with the Boss I have, but I can still throw my Wraiths, Beasts and even my Archangel better. The Blizzard boss I have is like 135g, and is so freaking light I can't get the feel yet. While it's not as good as Wraiths for me, I also love the Archangel, it's very forgiving and floats forever in a tailwind.

Thinking of swapping my Buzzz's for Star Makos on the mids. Ever tossed those? The Buzzz is a real staple in my stable and my go-to for so many shots, but I have disc-lust for the Makos...

On your Darts - I still pitch Aviars and my Omega Rubber, but Noah loves his Darts. He has a couple now. He got hooked on the R-pro rubber and just picked up an echo Star Dart. They seem to be a nice "300 foot putter." He's hitting putts from about twice as far as he used to with his Darts.

adam
08-14-2012, 12:21 AM
Light (around 140g) Blizzards float. A secondary reason to throw them over water.

Light discs accentuate problems. Flutter is amplified, nose high throws and everything else.

If you want to throw as far as you can, use those light Bizz"s and start out easy until you get a good flight. Accentuate your wrist bent down, full reach back, pull disk across your chest and rotate snap follo through.

Commit to light discs.

I can throw them far, left or right handed.

Not a big fan of the Dragon, not a consistent disc.

The Blizzards are good in light weights, 130 - 140g

Darts are the new Aviar for me. R-Pro in the Delux Innova bag...

gusstrand
09-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Went down to the neighborhood casual course and shot a -5 this afternoon.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/piscator/Camera%20Awesome%20Photos/preview_image_0_86626412x.jpg