PDA

View Full Version : Hello from NYC ..... and Points Northward.

Jimbo
04-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Hello. Just introducing myself to the forum. I live in Manhattan but grew up in Dutchess County and still go there on weekends. I do a lot of 'Metro North' fishing as well as small stream fishing near the house. I guess you know you are a small stream angler when even when you decide to go river fishing ...... you stop few miles short of the Housetonic to fish obscure portions of the Ten-Mile and Swamp rivers, where you rarely catch big fish (and are often skunked!) but are always happy!

I am not really a forum participant by nature (though a huge reader), but when I googled "small stream fishing' and saw BrkTrt's "Winter and Small Streams" I knew this was a special place. When I read gusstrand's "Welcome" ( http://smallstreams.com/archive/index.php/t-6141.html ) and saw the history, dedication and quality of core members involved, I wanted to join.

I love little streams and little fish. That they are there, and I am there, and they are taking flies? Magic. Very happy to know there are others who feel the same way. I will look forward to reading your stories and admiring your photos of pretty fish in beautiful secret places. I've got some of photos and stories of my own which I may share at some point.

Best of the Best,
J.

ACLakey
04-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Welcome, I am not much of a story teller but love to post pictures.

Andrew

ksbioteacher
04-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Welcome, indeed. Though, I live in KS, I spend a couple of weeks every summer fishing in New York so post up photos and stories. I, for one, will be an eager reader.

Jimbo
04-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the welcome. Not surprised, from the (refreshingly) limited number of entries in the the Shallows section, that new people are noticed. I've got some fun fish photos but need to figure out where and how to post them when I get a chance. Spent the last two weeks since season opened checking up on 'my' fish, and am expecting a Tenkara rod this week to try that out, so it is prime fishing time! I've got fellow small-stream enthusiasts close by, so it'll be interesting to try sharing here. Any suggestions about best place to start posting? I'm cognizant of not wanting to blunder into the pool!

ksbioteacher
04-17-2012, 05:50 PM
Don't know about blunders. If you are talking about fishing a stream then it seems reasonable to put it under Streams.

gusstrand
04-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Welcome!

Post somewhere beneath the foam here in the topwater section - The first three forums as you know are all that the public really sees aside from the front page. By design. Sort of like a stream that people pass over on a bridge without thinking... but we don't... we wonder what's upstream, downstream and under the surface.

No blunders here - common courtesy and respect for each other set us apart from other forums.

Again, welcome. Enjoy the stream!