PDA

View Full Version : Grace Burn Brown Trout Healesville Australia

spod
02-22-2012, 03:00 AM
This afternoon I fished the Grace Burn, a small stream that runs through Healesville where I live. We have had quite a bit of rain since I fished it about a month ago and the stream has changed dramatically. Some pools are deeper, some shallower. The same goes for the runs in between. There's a lot of fallen trees which provide cover for the trout. Due to all these changes I was able to wade much further upstream than previously.
I didn't see any surface activity so fished a few different wets and nymphs. I picked up and released a pretty little brown trout on a Claret Dabbler. Wasn't able to cast it as such, I just dunked it in a small pocket and the trout took it.
The gear I used wasn't anything flash. The rod was a sloppy spinning rod that I'd converted into a short 6'4" fly rod, the reel a Southbend automatic reel and the line was half a DT7F that I'd picked up at a garage sale plus 25 yards of backing. It all worked well for this small creek.
Cheers,
Steve
PS Sorry no pictures---I MUST REMEMBER to take along the camera!

joe
02-22-2012, 12:22 PM
You got me thinking, my son has a 7 foot spinning rod which he is sending me from Germany to hold for him. "Just because it is there" I am going to test my 50 years of fly casting skills to see how well I can cast his spinning rod with a fly line.

Joe D

spod
02-25-2012, 02:44 AM
Give the spinning rod a try with a fly line. After I cut off the rear grip then glued the end cap back on my rod I was quite pleasantly surprised how well it cast a DT7 line. This is now my short rod for really overgrown small creeks. Being a red burgundy colour it really matches my Southbend auto reel so nicely.
I might try the rod with a 6wt line but so far it works fine for short casts on the small creeks that I mostly fish.
Cheers,
Steve