PDA

View Full Version : Textured Lines

troutbum
01-31-2012, 11:53 PM
Just wondering if anyone has had experience with the SA sharkskin lines. Thinking about picking one up. I've read some interesting reviews about them destroying fingers but I've also been told by others that they have had no problem with it. Anyways I would like any input. For a hundred bones I want to be sure its worth the money.

martin_b
02-01-2012, 04:33 AM
I have used my friends sharkskin line on a few occasions. It shoots really nice, but it also has an annoying "swoosh" to it while casting. It is very noisy during casting. But is does indeed cast beautifully smooth casts. I wouldn't use it for small stream / dry fly fishing though; there are better lines for that in my opinion. For example the SA Mastery XPS. Regarding the destroying of fingers, that isn't something I've heard about from anyone, nor something I would imagine being an issue after having tried the line.

Martin

51BC
02-02-2012, 08:21 AM
I haven't used them personally, but talked with a young fellow that used one. He liked the line for the added distance (not much an issue on a small stream) and he felt they floated better than non-textured lines. He did, however, use guards on his fingers to prevent abrasion.

troutbum
02-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the input! 51 BC do you know what he used for a guard? I was thinking maybe athletic tape?

51BC
02-10-2012, 07:41 AM
It was tape of some sort. I would think athletic tape would be a good choice.

martin_b
02-10-2012, 05:24 PM
I would guess these are good http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=0Y5E

Doctor
02-12-2012, 06:57 AM
Back a while I used to use braided backing for shooting heads ,that used to shred the fingers ,so started using fabric band aids on the "hot spots"worked ok .
Then found some self almagamating fabric dressing called Coban ,much less messy and no sticky residues .