PDA

View Full Version : Sno-fly ix midge swap

Alpinefly
10-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Fall is here. Items of Halloween, Thanksgiving, and yes, even Christmas are already in many Department Stores. A coolness has come to the air. Snow up in the White Mountains, and up by Flagstaff (Arizona). The Big Trout are out and hungry. It is time once again for the annual Sno-Fly Midge Swap (wow, somewhere I missed Spring and Summer.......time flies fast). It is great Fly Tyers like you that have made Sno-Fly so well known all over the world, and a showcase for cutting edge Midge Patterns. I hope this year will be even more special and educational.

Midges in any stage and size (Larva, Pupa, Emerger, and Adult). Please toe tag your pattern with Pattern Name and Size, Your name and e-mail address, and send them in a self addressed stamped envelope (An addressed Bubble Mailer inside another Bubble Mailer). Make sure that your Midges are carefully packaged. Also include a recipe for your pattern.
Deadline for sending your midges in is December 1st !!! There will be two of the boxes donated to Casting For Recovery, and Operation Healing Waters. I look forward to seeing some fantastic Midge patterns. I will PM my mailing address once the list of tyers is complete.

1. John Larson (Alpinefly...Swapmeister) Pattern TBA
2. Rick Takahashi Crystal Chironomid Received
3. Jerry Hubka UL RED RISER Received
4. Gus Strand Pattern TBA Received
5. Hortoncreek Pattern TBA Received
6. Ian Christie flybox.co.uk Received
7. Anthony Pattern TBA Received
8 Avril Anjers (Reelsister) Pattern TBA Received
9. Roy Christie Pattern TBA
10. Andy Baird Pattern TBA
11. Bighand Mimi Kink and size 20 Chironomid Received
12. Jim Crain Miracle Midge Variant Received
13. Donated Box To Casting For Recovery
14. Donated Box To Operation Healing Waters

SWAP IS NOW OFFICIALLY CLOSED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

adam
10-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Are there going to be photographs of the entries posted here?

Will you accept tenkara style flys?

My flys cost a lot, are you willing to pay?

(kidding, relax a little)

Sounds like fun.

Alpinefly
10-16-2011, 01:15 AM
Adam,
Yes, there will be photos of all the Midges (we have tried to post excellent photos each year of all the midges, and the tyers are responsible to post the recipes). Yes, Tenkara style flies will be accepted, as long as they are representative of Midges in any stage of development. I am sure that there are many patterns that have been submitted over the years that cost a lot (& I am appreciative of each one of those patterns). I will make a comment, that one of the previous tyers of Sno-Fly makes at least $ 3000 a week on the Flies (insects) that he ties. Can anyone guess who this is ??? lol
Would love to have you on board this year Adam !!! I promise, it will be fun, and you will get a great box of Sno-Flies for your effort !!!

Alpinefly
10-16-2011, 01:49 AM
Here is a midge from the very tyer I am speaking of. I would love to be making the money that he makes from his Insect creations !!!! This person is a master at tying !!!!!!!!!!

adam
10-16-2011, 10:44 PM
WOW, awesome.

I will have to think about it before I commit.

gusstrand
10-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Would that person be the newest member here?

Alpinefly
10-18-2011, 01:42 PM
Gus,
No. That person I am speaking of is Graham Owen. I will put in a few Midge pics of Rick Takahashi and Jerry (Hubka) as well. Certainly they are superior as well (in a class all by themselves). This year will be the best yet, and I am sure will be very educational. I hope to see some Tenkara style midge fishing as well ( I do hope Adam will contribute and give us insight into the midge patterns and technique in fishing them). I am sure that Rick Takahashi also has some knowledge in this area, and I will try to contact Mikasa Ishimora (Co-Author Of Tenkara Fishing) to see if she would like to sign up and contribute some insight. I am very excited We have a lot of veterans of Past Sno-Fly Swaps who are also members of smallstreams.com that have some great Midge Patterns in the book, "Modern Midges" . I know that there are many more excellent tyers who are members of smallstreams.com who have yet to contribute to Sno-Fly.

gusstrand
10-18-2011, 02:06 PM
Cool. Oh, and, I'm in.

Hortoncreek
10-18-2011, 06:23 PM
Count me in

Alpinefly
10-19-2011, 08:44 PM
Here is a Midge Emerger designed by Rick Takahashi.

Alpinefly
10-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Here is th Bow Tie Buzzer Designed by Rick Takahashi.

Alpinefly
10-20-2011, 05:56 AM
6 spots left on the list. I have not heard from Roy Christie or Andy Baird as of yet (nor Niklas Dahlin). I am sure, some of the past veterans are out fishing ( which is what I would want to be doing right now lol) !!!

Anthony
10-20-2011, 10:06 AM
I'd like to participate if you'll have me. I'm not sure I belong in the company of the other tyers - but nonetheless it should be fun and enlightening.

I'm not sure what I'll tie yet.

-Anthony

Alpinefly
10-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Welcome aboard Anthony. There is a vast array of Midge species, and in many different stages. The Midge hatch is often overlooked, and yet, when it comes to catching Trophy size Trout, it can be very productive. A great example is on the Dream Stream Section of the South Platte (Colorado). These Trout are very large, and very finnicky. They want midges (sometimes very small; even though not all Midges are small) and they have to be presented in a way that is natural, or the Trout will refuse your offering. One of those days on the Dream Stream section, I saw one large Cutthroat caught all day among a lot of fishermen trying (and we went through a lot of different Midge patterns and ways to fish them. The Trout that was caught was on a size 28 Beadhead Pheasant pattern; very fine 8x tippet (25 inch Trout).
I get a kick at the idea that Large Trout can key in on such miniscule offerings. Then on places like 11 Mile and Spinney, just up above the Dream Stream Section, A Lake Chironomid will be much larger (Even size 10 hooks). Guide Landon Mayer can be seen posed with many Trophy sized Hogs form The Dream Stream, 11 Mile, Spinney (all that area). He has spent a lot of time studying Midges.The Virtual Horse Fly Pattern that I tie can be on both a #16 or #14 Hook. Horse Flys are in the Diptera Family. You have been on the water and have had the pesky rascals bite you. The fish know that these pesky rascals are great food, and will feed on them anytime (thus the Virtual Horse Fly is a great go-to pattern). In Arizona alone we have approx 111 Diptera Species.
On the Lees Ferry, there is about 60 different Chironomid Species. Wow !!!!!! The San Juan tail water is another place where large Trout key in on Midges in many different stages ( we all know of the simple yet productive San Juan Worm, tied in many different ways, which copies the Blood Worm Chironomid). Rick Takahashi and Jerry Hubka have spent a lot of time in their study of Midges, and ways to fish them. About a thousand different patterns are in their book (and there are still many more great patterns that did not make it into the book). In the UK and surrounding countries Midges are called Buzzers. Roy Christie has designed many great patterns in reversed parachute style. His Avon Emerger is a great example of a Midge Emerger, and how it properly hangs in the surface film. Davey McPhail is another geat tyer and a Master when it comes to Buzzer Patterns. His Blue Electric Buzzer is deadly, and even more deadly is a Buzzer he has designed with Bug Bond. Gary Hittterman is one of the best tyers in the United States (he lives just down the road from me in Casa Grande).
Everyone should know a pattern called The Zebra Midge. That pattern was designed my Gary (also the KF Midge, and there are others). Gary is Nicknamed Big Hands (he has humongous sized hands), and it is amazing watching someone with hands that size tie such small Midge patterns, and in such a perfect way. 2 years ago guide Kevin Evan's Daughter asked to be on the Sno-Fly list. This very young girl was amazing in the Midge pattern she submitted; a pattern that ranks up there with many top professional designers. Over the years, we have had a fantastic list of tyers; many of those tyers have patterns included in the book Modern Midges. I have had a lot of tyers that never had fished or tied Midges. They were very skeptical and felt that it could be difficult, but found it to be a great learning experience and opened up a new and overlooked avenue in catching Trophy Trout. It really is not hard to design and tie great and deadly Midge patterns (even a Caveman can do it (?) LMAO). We have 5 spots left. Has anyone heard from Roy Christie or Andy Baird ???

Alpinefly
10-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Roy Christie's Avon Midge Emerger is a great example of Midge Emerger Design that properly hangs in the surface film like the natural.

Alpinefly
10-20-2011, 12:26 PM
The Glo-Lite Series Blood Chironomid (one of my designs) perfectly shows the three dimmensional view of The Blood Chironomid Emerger.

Alpinefly
10-20-2011, 12:36 PM
Where there is water, there are pesky biting Horse Flies. Where there are Pesky Biting Horse Flies, there are large fish,
Not all Diptera are small. The Virtual Horse Fly can be tied on a Gamakatsu C12 size 16 or size 14 hook and is a very deadly Dry Fly pattern.

Alpinefly
10-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Welcome aboard Avril (reelsister). She is a veteran from last year (but is having trouble logging on to smallstreams and resetting her password). 4 spots left !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roy
10-24-2011, 12:49 PM
I've been out fishing,
sure, I'll play Sno-Fly
:)

AndyBaird
10-24-2011, 04:32 PM
I've been out fishing,
sure, I'll play Sno-Fly
:)

Me too, John... looking forward. Still on a beatis tip, these #28's drift so sweet with split tails, and remind me of the summer. Strictly close-range, say 15-18' off the tip-ring:

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm207/VooDooBiology/28beatiddun-1.jpg

Roy - closed out the 2011 season perched on Stoyan's Rock, solid as ever...

Alpinefly
10-24-2011, 05:07 PM
I figured you guys were hiding on a stream somewhere !!! lol I should be doing that, but the only thing I have been doing is at the vise !!!!! Welcome aboard Roy and Andy !!!!! KIller Deadly looking 28 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like !!!! PM me the recipe !!! Could use a few in my box !!!!!!!
We have 2 spots left to fill on the list. Only one if Adam decides to play and tie a Tenkara Midge.

Alpinefly
10-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Danged Fashionistas !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAOHHHHHHHHHHCRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tak
10-24-2011, 08:56 PM
John,

I will submit my Chrystal Chironomid I use for Still-water midge pupa. It has been a very good pattern in our regions lakes.

Tak

Alpinefly
10-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Excellent Rick !!! I have been talking to my brother Steve (Colorado Springs) when it comes to fishing on Spinney, Elevin Mile, and Antero. He was asking me as to what worked, and I told him you were the man with the knowledge. For those of you in the Colorado Springs area, Rick and Jerry will be heading up there to do a tying demonstration. I hope Jerry (Hubka) will post a few pictures of some of his Midges. Very deadly patterns (and deadly is always good) !!! We still have 2 spots on the list to fill. This is going to be the best year yet for Sno-Fly. I am very excited. So many great Midge patterns that have surfaced this year (Ok...OK Bad PUN lol).

Alpinefly
10-25-2011, 02:10 PM
A Winter's Mid Afternoon, and Hatching Snow Flies in the Snow Bank along the stream can be magical. A small miracle emerging from the bitter cold. Dimples of life in the stream as the trout pick off these delectable little Christmas candies and the bend of your Fly Rod as a trout takes interest in your Christmas present. Diptera Midges make up the largest piece of pie when it comes to aquatic insects in North America (over 100 species), and also many parts of the world. These morsels can be found mostly in tail waters, but don't overlook small streams and fertile lakes. You can find these morsels 365 days of the year, and yet, this is the most overlooked hatch. Since Midges (most of the species) are small, Trout are not willing to move very far to eat them. With a lot of Midges on the water, your pattern can easily be ignored. Persistance, the right pattern, accuracy and presentation are key to success. Here is a Hatch Of Snow Flies from a Snow Bank along the stream on a Winter Afternoon.

Alpinefly
10-25-2011, 02:17 PM
The Tanytarsus (or Female Green Midge)

Alpinefly
10-25-2011, 02:22 PM
An Emerging Midge Pupa hanging in the surface film shows why Roy Christie's Avon Midge emerger is very deadly.

Alpinefly
10-25-2011, 02:24 PM
The Tanypod Midge Larva !!!

Alpinefly
10-25-2011, 02:26 PM
Polypedilum Midge Larva !!!

Alpinefly
10-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Blood Chironomid !!!!

Alpinefly
10-25-2011, 02:38 PM
The size of a Blood Worm (Chironomid) compared to a human finger.

Alpinefly
10-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Hellsgate Butt Biter Size 32 (copies the Ceratopogidinae or Biting Midge)

Alpinefly
10-25-2011, 03:33 PM
Ceratopogidinae (Biting Midge)

Alpinefly
10-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Ceratopogidinae (Biting Midges)

Alpinefly
10-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Ceratopogidinae (Biting Midge) size compared to hand (can you say OUCH !!!!!!!!!! )

Alpinefly
10-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Keen observation when midge fishing is always crucial, and will always pay off in the long run !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alpinefly
10-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Chartreause Adult Chironomid Midge (As Lefty Kreh says, "If it ain't Chartreause, it ain't no use") !!!

Alpinefly
10-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Bridgeport Midge !!!

Alpinefly
10-25-2011, 03:55 PM
Life Cycle Of The Ceratopogidinae (Biting Midge) !!!

Alpinefly
10-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Hatching Midge !!!

Alpinefly
10-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Midge Life Cycle !!!!!!!!!!

Alpinefly
10-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Mating Midges !!!!

Alpinefly
10-25-2011, 04:09 PM
Aquatic Midges !!!!!!!!!!

Alpinefly
10-25-2011, 04:16 PM
Adult Chironomid Cream Midge !!!

Alpinefly
10-25-2011, 04:20 PM
Maine Midge Hatch !!!

Alpinefly
10-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Rusty Adult Midge !!!

Alpinefly
10-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Bighand is filling a slot. He lives down the road from me (Casa Grande), and if any of you don't know of him, he is a fantastic Midge tyer (that being an understatement; Charlie Meck calls him one of the best in the United States). There was an article about him in Southwest Fly Fishing Magazine not too long ago. Welcome aboard !!!!!
This leaves one slot left, and I am still waiting to hear from Adam.

Alpinefly
10-28-2011, 01:02 AM
OooooooooooooooooooooK !!! Heard from Adam, and evidently he has his plate full with job and family (I cornered him on FB chat and he said "Nope" !!!) . That leaves just one slot left to fill on this year's Sno-Fly Midge Swap list.
Once that slot is filled, that is it, the swap will be closed, and I will not let any more last minute stragglers in (in past years I did and one year had to make two different swaps and still was turning people away). That means that that last slot is prized, and everyone on the list is committed. I must say that this is the best list of Sno-Fly tyers yet, and I am very excited.

Bighand
10-28-2011, 06:07 PM
John sent pm about the swap. It's been many years since I have done a tiny fly swap. I would like to point out don't believe all your read. I have just been in the right places to meet some very good fly fishers. I thnk what they can't believe is how does one with such XL large hands work around a tying vise. It is all magic and done with smoke and mirrors. I go by Bighand and my name is Gary Hitterman. The closest place I have to fish is a canal posted no tresspasing.

Alpinefly
10-29-2011, 05:22 AM
Ahhhhhhhhh Heck Gary, I'm fishing the Rillito River for Sand Bass with Pygmy Owl Streamers these days (EXTREME URBAN FLY FISHING IN TUCSON) !!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO

Alpinefly
10-29-2011, 05:45 AM
http://youtu.be/7CBNdTvif2M

This is the link to my Virtual Horse Fly Video Tutorial. If it does not work, let me know, and I will forward the video and recipe to you via e-mail if you request.

Alpinefly
10-29-2011, 12:04 PM
Ralph & Lisa Cutter's work with filming "Bugs Of The Underworld" is absolutely amazeing . The chapter (Chapter 5) on midges is especially worth taking several looks (I shared this with all of you back on Sno-Fly VII Part 2). You can gain a lot of insight as to Midge design in every stage of development.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGQEPZqNZU8

trout-nut
11-01-2011, 12:56 AM
I've never done a fly swap before. What is required. Please let me know before I commit.

Thanks
Fred

Alpinefly
11-01-2011, 12:03 PM
Gary Hitterman sent me an e-mail letting me know that he has a good friend that wanted the last spot on Sno-Fly. Knowing Bighand, he has a great circle of excellent fly tyers (in this instance, flea tyers). With that said, this Swap is now officially closed. I will PM everybody on the list my mailing address. Remember that the deadline to send Midges in is December 1st (there is plenty of time to GET-ERRR-DONE............NO CHUFFERS) Then there is my great friend Roy. You want to talk about a loyal Sno-Fly veteran ??? Last year, the poor guy had to tie three sets of Midges; with three sets lost in the mail. Two sets showed up, and everyone came out with some quality Reversed Parachute Midges. Now that is loyalty and preserverance. Please, if there are any problems or questions, CONTACT ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope you will contribute any pictures or relevant Midge information that may be helpful to all. I always have tried to make this swap educational.
Again, to all of the tyers on the Sno-Fly IX list....................WELCOME ABOARD !!! I am very excited, look forward to seeing everybody's Midges, and this being the best Sno-Fly Swap yet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

reelsister
11-10-2011, 04:25 PM
Finally was able to log on and boy have I missed some great conversation! Alpinefly the midge photos rock. Thanks for posting. My swap flies are on the way! I look forward to your ties! avril

Alpinefly
11-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Thanks avril !!! Just love the looks of those Midge Emergers (they look very deadly) . Working on a big Wet Fly order right now, so my tying desk is one heck of a mess (trying to get where I am happy with the wings), then I can put more attention on Midges. I am certainly excited, and still ask for any contributions to be posted to add to our educatiion on Midges. I don't know about you, but I am always learning something new, especially when it comes to all of the Midge species, how to design better Midges, and how to fish them.

Alpinefly
11-14-2011, 05:10 PM
reelsister has been busy. She has the right to claim first to show on Sno-Fly IX with some very nicely tied Midge Emergers that arrived in the mail today all the way from Colorado. Wow, once again, the bar has been set high. Thanks Avril !!! I know that this is one pattern I can't wait to use on the South Platte Dream Stream (and a few other places to boot)!!!!!
Time is really flying by fast.

Alpinefly
11-19-2011, 03:35 PM
I received Bighand's package of very nicely tied midges (Mimi Kink Black Gnat) today in the mail. Thanks Gary !!!!!
So far, I have two packages received. Time is flying by real fast. Remember that the deadline is December 1st .
Sure would like to see some contributions from everyone as to Midge fishing techniques, tying techniques, and other info you might see as helful and informative. Again, I have tried to make this swap educational for everybody.

jojackc
11-22-2011, 12:21 AM
Just finished toe tagging my flys. They will be out in the mail tommorrow. This is Jimmy Crain by the way. I will be sending out a size 22 Miracle Midge Variant.

Alpinefly
11-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Excellent !!! Thanks Jimmy !!! Wow, Thanksgiving is Thursday, and the deadline is coming real fast (December 1st).
Time to "GET ER DONE" on those midges !!!! NO CHUFFERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alpinefly
11-25-2011, 01:19 AM
I hope everyone had a great thanksgiving !!! I am suffering from major triptophan shock, and will sleep soundly tonight !!! Time is winding down and the deadline is fast approaching !!!!!!!!!! December 1st.

Alpinefly
11-26-2011, 04:17 PM
I received a package from Jim Crain today, with some very nicely tied Miracle Midge Variants . Thanks Jim !!!
I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I am partaking of Thanksgiving Feast part 2 (as if my body was not put through enough of a Triptophan shock). December 1st is the deadline for sending the Midges. That is fast approaching.

Alpinefly
11-27-2011, 08:07 PM
Three packages are in so far. Hortoncreek got the mailing address and is sending his. Andy Baird just sent me a cell phone text asking for more time (due to problems at work, or he is fighting for employment survival. He should move to Arizona where Solar Energy is Big Business). I am not sure as to how much more time he needs, and I feel that is up to you. Please let me know if any of the rest of you are having problems (deadline or any other). It is rough all over for everyone these days. I find sanity at the vise, and out on the water, otherwise I would go totally nuts !!!!!!!!!!!!!

gusstrand
11-28-2011, 09:58 AM
I went to tie mine and found I didn't have enough hooks. Who'd have thunk I'd be low on the dinky ones?!?! Will get more this week. Mine will be late by a day or three but will get done.

Alpinefly
11-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Don't sweat it too much Gus. Andy wants a bit of an extension. I always have to get more hooks (especially the dinky size). I was down at Orvis today. If flies are late a day or two, it won't be the end of the fly fishing world as we know it LMAO !!! Last year, poor Roy had to tie three sets of Midges, thanks to the postal service losing mail. Received two sets, and everyone got two sets of Roy's great reversed parachute Midges, even if it was late everyone came out with a great box of Midges. Just got off the phone today with Rick Takahashi. He had a great fishing trip to the San Juan !!!! That is what I need right now !!!!!!

Hortoncreek
11-29-2011, 08:49 PM
My package of sz 18 tan EyeMerdgers mailed today.

Jeff

Anthony
11-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Sent out my midges today. I'm just calling them "upside down emergers" (I know real creative name). They are essentially a parachute-style emerger, but with the hook inverted so that the hook curves up toward the water surface. I was trying to capture the way midge emergers can look as they suspend below the surface in that "u" shape. Ideally I would have used up-eye hooks or at least straight eye hooks, but I didn't have any on hand when I finally got a chance to sit at the vise.

Alpinefly
12-01-2011, 01:44 AM
Thanks Anthony. I am sure these will be great. There is another tyer on the list that is a veteran by the name of Roy Christie. He is famous for his reversed parachute style flies. He also is famous for his Avon Midge Emerger, that hangs in the surface film with inverted hook and a U shape. This is one pattern in Rick Takahashi's and Jerry Hubka's book, Modern Midges that Dave Klausmeyer took a special liking to and wrote about in Fly Tyer Magazine.
Tomorrow is December 1st. Andy Baird and Gus Strand have already contacted me and requested a little extra time. With good explanation, I have no problem with that. For those who have not yet sent in their Midges, please contact me if there is a problem. I am quite understanding. The ones that do not contact me, and totally blow off something that they committed to, are being unfair to the tyers that took time out to share their talents. Sno-Fly is something so much deeper. I hope you will take the time to read the true Christmas story of "The Tail Of The Little Snow Fly".
A lot of us are going through rough and painful times that can cloud the meaning of this Holiday Season. Interesting how something so small and seemingly insignificant can bring back that meaning. It is even more amazing that when you have very little, but still take time to give of yourself, how many blessings you will get in return, plus the blessings to those who have received your gift. A small box of Sno Flies over the years have always remained one of the best gifts that I have received. There is a magic each time I am out on the water with my Fly Rod and some of those Midges. What is even more special is a small and seemingly insignificant babe that was born into a cold, bitter world. Watch the miracle that developed. Yes, just like a little seemingly insignificant Snow Fly that emerges in the cold snow bank can produce some very big and special magic. A Christmas Miracle !!!

Alpinefly
12-02-2011, 01:38 PM
I received an e-mail from Roy (Christie). He has also requested a wee bit of an extension. His neck has been giving him a lot of pain and problems. I know how Roy feels (since I am waiting for a third major spinal surgery). It sucks getting old !!!!! Well, we will play this one loose. For those of you who have not yet sent in your Midges, just let me know when you will be able to send them. As long as you keep in contact with me (and not blowing this off), I am not bothered by a wee extension. It is a cold wet day today, and snow up in the mountains. A big sudden change from sunny and 80 degrees. Christmas is getting close !!!!!

Bighand
12-02-2011, 10:41 PM
Alpinefly clean out your PMs. Sent one this evening and rejected until you make room for new ones. I was trying to PM you the dressing for the Mini Kink.

Alpinefly
12-02-2011, 11:49 PM
Sorry about that Bighand. Did not know that the PM's were that full. There were still some in there from before changes were made to the site (before the site went down). Have deleted, so you should be able to get a PM through now !!!! Thanks !!!! I received a package of some very juicy Christmas Trout Candy from Hortoncreek. Thanks !!!! These look fantastic.and will certainly find a place in a large Trout's lip !!!!!

Alpinefly
12-03-2011, 08:39 PM
Just received a package from Anthony with some excellent Inverted Midge Emergers (upsidedown). I especially love this stage of Midge development since the Midges are the most vunerable to the Trout, and big Trout know it. Thanks Anthony !!!
We have two sets of Midges in from Bighand; The Mimi Kinks and a size 20 Midge Chironomid (red), and both with the Signature Bighand quality (can't wait to see one in the lip of a large Trout or Bass). While we have been freezing with overcast and rain (along with snow up in th mountains), Bighand just down the road has been getting dusted. Yes, he is in the famous Haboob country that makes drives between Tucson and Phoenix very scary.
This was a great day to stay under the covers in bed, stay warm, or sit at the vise with a good drink. I chose to stay under a warm blanket and dream Of Midge fishing for Big Trout with some of these great patterns from Sno-Fly IX !!!

jojackc
12-04-2011, 01:35 AM
If you have some no shows/no responds like you mentioned let me know and I would be happy to tie another round of them to send over to you. I'm also close. I'm on the other side of you and Gary over in Chandler hehe.

Alpinefly
12-04-2011, 05:36 PM
Thanks jojackc for the offer. I did receive contact from Ian Christie (on the list) from Perth, UK and he is getting his Buzzers posted to the States (should be 3-5 days via airmail). For right now we are OK. Will contact you if things change .

Alpinefly
12-05-2011, 05:32 PM
I received a package from Rick Takahashi containing TAK'S CRYSTAL CHIRONOMID (from Rick), and HUBKA'S UL RED RISER (from Jerry). Talk about deadly Christmas Trout Candy !!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Rick and Jerry !!!!!!!! It is cold outside, with snow up in the Mountains. I sit at my vise, and dream of very large Trout with Midges from Sno-Fly in their lip. What a neat Christmas present to each one of us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AndyBaird
12-10-2011, 10:09 AM
... Sorry for the hold up guys. Should be done this weekend... Andy

Alpinefly
12-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Thanks Andy. No problem. Hope work is going better for you, or at least in a positive direction.

gusstrand
12-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Mine will be done by this weekend as well. Sorry for the tardiness, but the bottom line is I'm no longer unemployed. No excuse though.

gusstrand
12-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Done. Plan is to get them in the mail tomorrow.

Krystal Emerger

Hook: #22 1x Emerger
Thread: Red 8/0
Tail: Clear Krystal Flash
Body: Red Krystal Flash
Head/Thorax: Peacock Sword

Some of them before I carded them:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/piscator/a1/krystal_midges_800.jpg

Alpinefly
12-16-2011, 01:55 PM
I received a package from Ian Christie yesterday. Ian is owner of Flybox in Perth, UK and a fantastic tyer as well. If you follow a lot of the great patterns that come off the Bug Bond web site, you will see what I mean (plus check out his patterns on Facebook and Flybox). When it comes to Buzzers, he is an expert. You will love his Olive Spanflex Buzzer with Sunburst Flame Cheeks (hmmmmmmm........sounds like a Christmas gourmet treat for Trout and Grayling, and any other fish you might cast this to). Big thanks Ian !!! Gus contacted me to let me know that his Midges should be arriving any moment.
Just have Roy Christie, and Andy Baird left. Everything looks great, and the extra time has me throwing something extra into the Christmas Stocking !!!
Well, I just gotta get motivated to get the Christmas lights up, then it will be back to the vise for some more tying !!!!

Alpinefly
12-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Well, Gus has his Sno-Fly Midge package on the Postal Donkey (on its' way). That leaves two packages; Roy and Andy. I am busy at the vise. I always say that Christmas Trout (any fish) Candy is the best Candy. Christmas lights are up, tree is up and decorated; I even manage to conquer my Holiday Shopping Mall Phobia and as tight financially as this Christmas is, it is still blessed and presents under the tree. Snow up in the mountains, and my Fly Casting arm is itching for some wierd reason. Christmas is almost here. Back to the tying vise !!!

AndyBaird
12-22-2011, 03:18 PM
all done.... apologies for the delay folk, poor form. I'll check on Roy soon. There's a taster of the cluster shuck #28 at Small Fly Funk

Alpinefly
12-22-2011, 06:53 PM
The Postal Donkey trudged tiredly into the Ole Pueblo all the way from Round Rock, Texas. I was handed a package of very nicely tied Crystal Chironomids
as he told me of the great Tequila he had along the way while listening to non-stop ZZ Top. Wow, I remember what the trip was like last time to the Austin area.
Thanks Gus. These Midges are some great looking Christmas Candy and will make a large fish slobber and strike hard. Andy, you and Roy just gave me extra time to throw some extra Candy into the Christmas Stocking lol !!! It is really starting to feel like Christmas. Back to the vise; I have lots more Christmas Candy to tie !!!!!

Alpinefly
12-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Merry Christmas to everybody !!! Two more packages left to arrive, then I can get all the Sno-Fly boxes sent back out .

Alpinefly
12-26-2011, 02:15 PM
The day after Christmas. I hope all of you had a fantastic Christmas, and Santa was good to you and brought you a lot of nice new toys and booze.
I still have not heard from Roy (Christie). I am waiting for the ship to cross the big pond with Andy's Midges. Just two packages left to receive. I have this wild itch in my fly casting arm while I am at the vise tying flies. There is a slight nip to the air, but it is a very sunny day. Some very nice days to take some Midges and hook some Trout. I look up to the mountain, and it beckons.

Alpinefly
12-29-2011, 03:11 PM
I finally heard from Roy. He left me a message on my voice mail. So glad he is still kicking. Now we wait for the boat with two packages from the UK to get across the big pond.

Alpinefly
01-07-2012, 06:06 PM
An update on Sno-Fly IX !!! I am still waiting for two packages to arrive from the UK (one from Andy Baird, and the other from Roy Christi). When they arrive, I will send packages back out to all. Roy also offered to do the photography. Thanks Roy !!! That is all for now.

Alpinefly
01-11-2012, 05:51 PM
I received a package from Roy Christi today (all the way from the UK; that is one tired Donkey deserving of only the best Tequila). Very beautiful tying as usual.
Thanks Roy !!! I am still waiting for a package to arrive from Andy (it should have been here by now). Very nice weather here and my fly casting arm is really itching. I better do something about it !!! lol

Bighand
01-13-2012, 11:23 PM
Maybe the same donkey has to go back and get the other package. Ha Ha. Well worth the wait.

Alpinefly
01-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Meee thinks the UK Postal Donkeys like our watering holes (hmmmmmmm , they have good booze over there too). Roy had the same problem last year. He ended up tying three sets of Midges. The first set he had tied remained forever lost. Two sets arrived, and we all enjoyed Roy's Midges !!! Andy texted me and said that he has tied an extra set and put them in the post.
I think Andy's first set probably will remain lost (Thanks to UK Postal or even Customs). I don't know what happens, since this is the second time with the UK Postal that this has happened. It may even get lost in Customs, or some Fly Fisherman in Customs or UK Postal sees the name of Roy Christi (or now even Andy Baird) and figure they are going to hork some quality flies, head to the nearest chalk...............and............goooooooooooooo o fishing !!! Well.........we all are getting an extended Christmas here. For a lot of you in the UK (this may be good advise everywhere else as well), you may want to get a tracking number on all packages sent out of the UK. We are getting Postal cuts here in the US, and talks of them shutting down the main Post Office (Cherrybell) here in Tucson which would move everything up to Phoenix and cause much trouble (delayed mail, and even lost mail). We have several Post Offices here in Tucson, but Cherrybell is the Main sorting center and where all mail gets set from and arrives to. For a lot who depend on Social Security Checks (and other important mail) that arrive at a set time, to close down the central Office and move it all the way up to Phoenix would be a major disaster (sp) !!! A long weekend (with Martin Luther King Day on Monday). Nice day today, and I wish I could go out fishing.

Alpinefly
01-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Last, .....but not least.......Andy Baird's package of Midges finally arrived in the mail today (second package). His first package (?) who knows where it is (kind of like Roy's first package last year). I get the feeling that Andy Baird, and Roy Christi are Fly Fishing Houseold names in the UK, and somewhere, some Postal or Customs person is enjoying Andy and Roy's Midges on a stream..........or they are forever lost in Postal limbo.
The Midges look fantastic Andy (his Fly Patterns are always nice). I will get all Midges sorted and send packages back out (let me know when you get your package). I want to thank everybody on the Sno-Fly IX list for taking out their time to share their talent and Knowledge of Midges. The Sno-Fly Tyers (past and present) are what have made the annual Sno-Fly Midge Swap successful, and the worldwide showcase of Midge patterns. If you have not yet posted your pattern recipe, please do so. Roy offered to take pictures of all the Midges. Either way, pictures will soon be posted, and I will post my pattern recipes as well. Now I do hope I can get in some fishing before they wheel my butt (and the rest of me) into surgery. Again, Thanks & Tight Lines !!!!!!!!!

Alpinefly
02-14-2012, 02:33 PM
As of today (Feb. 14th), I have sent some of the packages that did not require postage/additional postage (metor), or filling out Customs forms.
I will try to make a trip to the Post Office to get the rest of these packages sent. Let me know when you receive package.
Tight Lines !!!
John (Alpinefly)

Bighand
02-14-2012, 03:40 PM
The midge swaps flies arrived in the mailbox today. Nicely tied flies is what I found. I will have to wait till pictures are posted to match fly to tyer. Almost all them are free of their tags. I will be studing them more so I can tie a few of them up. Thanks John for hosting a great swap.

jojackc
02-14-2012, 10:22 PM
ditto on what Gary said. I also recived my flys today. Can't wait to go catch some fish on them! I just hope everyone recived the correct flys. I actually recived a few doubles.

Alpinefly
02-16-2012, 05:27 PM
??? There were a few flies that did not have toe tags. Most of the Midges did. Certainly all the ones that I tied did. I had all tyers on the table and dealt evenly. I know that at least a couple tyers might have tyed enough for everyone to have two apiece. I will go back and study what was in my box. I still have the 2 boxes of Donor Midges. As of this date, I have some packages that need to be metered at the Post Office, and at least 3 that will need Customs forms filled out as well, then they will be sent out. I will also see what I can do with the Digital Camera that I have. I am waiting for pictures to be posted and everyone to get their packages before I post my recipes. There are some tyers that have not posted recipes yet, and I do urge you to do so. From what I saw of every Midge pattern, I have to say that all the tyers on this year's Sno-Fly Swap set the bar very high, and I certainly can't wait to get out and fish these.

Hortoncreek
02-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Looking forward to receiving the package. I will post pattern when I get my package as I can't remember what i tied, I think it was the Eyemerger
Jeff

Alpinefly
02-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Today is one of my good days as I am able to get out of bed, and will be able to get to the Post Office to send out the rest of the packages (that needed metered and some needing Customs Forms). I do apologize for the delay; I have been bedridden. On days like this I am able to catch up on much needed tying. I will also be experimenting with proper lighting and background to see if I can get decent pictures of the Midges. The Digital Camera I have is good but does not have a Macro Lens which I believe is very important in photographing small fly patterns such as Midges. Please let me know when you get your package. I have only heard from two people to confirm they have theirs, and I do know that I sent out well more then two packages already. Thanks for your patience.

gusstrand
02-24-2012, 12:20 PM
Received/Confirmed. Get yer butt back to bed and get well.

Alpinefly
02-24-2012, 02:46 PM
Feeling much better. Blood Pressure had been dangerously low. Doc has adjusted the meds. Blood pressure much better today. Pain is not so bad in the back if I don't over-do things. Using Pain Meds, Heat, & Tenz Unit. Jacuzzi helps too (but could not do that when my blood pressure was dangerously low).
Doctor has be on another Antibiotic to handle an infection that has been hard to knock out. Been up and catching up on a lot of tying. Kinda wish I could get out and go fishing today. Nice and sunny and getting up to 78. That means it is low 60's up on Mount Lemmon. Beautiful fishing weather. Urban lakes are great too. Reports of 17 & 18 inch Rainbows caught at Lakeside , and one 22 incher (Eastside Tucson). Getting cabin fever. I must get in some fishing before they wheel my carcus in for spinal surgery (April 9th). After that, I will be down and rehabbing for 6 months. Fishing will be out of the question till about mid Summer. Easy to get bad cabin fever on a day like this and meee casting arm is going spastic !!! Thanks Gus !!!!!

Anthony
02-25-2012, 08:18 AM
Got my flies - all the best, hope you're back on the water soon.

trout-nut
02-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Get well soon so you can get back on the water.

Hortoncreek
02-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Got flies. Awesome as usual. I am honored to be included as a tier in this class.
Back surgery rehab is challenging but you will feel like a new man upon rehab. By end of summer you will be rock hopping around Mt Lemmon.
Jeff

reelsister
03-09-2012, 02:57 PM
I thought I had been on this thread to acknowledge the receipt of my flies. That grey hair catching up with me. I apologize for not letting all of you know how much I appreciate the swap flies and what an honor it is to participate. Thanks for another fabulous swap. avril

Alpinefly
03-09-2012, 03:20 PM
Oops......the Gray hair is definetely catching up with me (and the pain meds are doing an Ozzy Osbourne fry on my brain lol) !!! I know that Roy got his and will try to post pics (he is out fishing on the Test......Tight Lines Roy) !!!

Roy
03-12-2012, 07:43 PM
Hi guys,
thanks for the flies, there is some beautiful and inspiring work here
I have taken some pics which might include a few extras John sent me
thanks, John
Thank you all
Flies currently at
http://reversedparachutes.blogspot.com/

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-aW1HCvPWKAk/T16PfPEpNAI/AAAAAAAAALs/uMDuic9qfX4/s1600/Snofly2011+20.png

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_laamCllhRs/T16PP03dCOI/AAAAAAAAALk/Eps16N3QlAE/s1600/Snofly2011+19.png

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-JsSpa9WBrYc/T16PBz9HSjI/AAAAAAAAALc/mz9_yPTNU0g/s1600/Snofly2011+18.png

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qcONfDXdEUg/T16O1ylvpDI/AAAAAAAAALU/bz_4wADNXtM/s1600/Snofly2011+17.png

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gn8ph-BfJwg/T16OlVE7VbI/AAAAAAAAALM/d-uXMQbd9YA/s1600/Snofly2011+16.png

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-LatMcx234OU/T16OXFno7PI/AAAAAAAAALE/xiiDQ9Gza6s/s1600/Snofly2011+15.png

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-K55ur1BwWMM/T16OJh4CdeI/AAAAAAAAAK8/RabPymz3Lhk/s1600/Snofly2011+14.png

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-3RfhWodIe_Y/T16N127sseI/AAAAAAAAAK0/Hmhuqxs_x74/s1600/Snofly2011+13.png

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Cx7VMSxn_1I/T16Npo5buyI/AAAAAAAAAKs/mOUwirCp_q4/s1600/Snofly2011+12.png

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-vfGRMaiD6Yk/T16NX5e457I/AAAAAAAAAKk/0342u6Gif04/s1600/Snofly2011+11.png

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7LVb1Y3M678/T16NHXc-1EI/AAAAAAAAAKc/u8JBuASSmhU/s1600/Snofly2011+10.png

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Q1j7yVWaV6Y/T16M3DY-BXI/AAAAAAAAAKU/Glaec6lpbSY/s1600/Snofly2011+9.png

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-UCSGpmgNMeo/T16MZIhJv_I/AAAAAAAAAKM/mT8CQaiVAWE/s1600/Snofly2011+8.png

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Gba9E7i5oqs/T16MKTZu3bI/AAAAAAAAAKE/rBJUm5Hr7bE/s1600/Snofly2011+7.png

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SCMbj59-rxE/T16L6zPVa2I/AAAAAAAAAJ8/KkdPR36Kvek/s1600/Snofly2011+6.png

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-iRQJKKahnZk/T16Ltx_FmoI/AAAAAAAAAJ0/A6P5fOCWKXE/s1600/Snofly2011+5.png

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-D1V3SBvBumE/T16LdicgjCI/AAAAAAAAAJs/6CRvcftrnzA/s1600/Snofly2011+4.png

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-CYVhRrPdAS4/T16LILHTFYI/AAAAAAAAAJk/bW3xBPjU6-k/s1600/Snofly2011+3.png

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-tn8J1MYbZ9c/T16K2ZkZLxI/AAAAAAAAAJc/S5tjxnANNSI/s1600/Snofly2011+2.png

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-7n7AI76MV84/T16KNLvFCyI/AAAAAAAAAJU/uPrULNQl8HQ/s1600/Snofly2011+1.png

please identify your flies and I will add your credits to the blog entries

jojackc
03-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Nice bunch of fly's. Thanks for taking the time to take all of the photo's. Mine is number 15 on the list above. My real name is Jimmy K. Crain Jr.

Anthony
03-13-2012, 06:25 AM
Roy,
Thanks for posting all the pics. Mine is the inverted parachute midge, #10
Anthony Naples
My blog is www.castingaround.com (http://castingaround.com)

reelsister
03-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Thanks for posting pics Roy. Here is link to mine. CDC midge emerger. http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-D1V3SBvBumE/T16LdicgjCI/AAAAAAAAAJs/6CRvcftrnzA/s1600/Snofly2011+4.png. avril

Alpinefly
03-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Once again, I give a lot of thanks to Roy for his work with the pictures. Much better then what I could have done.
I apologise in that there were some Midges missing Toe Tags. As Roy said, once he did pictures, Toe tags came off, so
not knowing who was with what. Here is what I have so far according to Roy's numbering system with his blog.
#20: Rick Takahashi ; TAKS Crystal Chironomid
#19 Jerry Hubka UL Red Riser (?)
#18 John Larson Size 28 Baby Rootbeer Buzzer
#17 Reel Sister (name of pattern ?)
#16 Krystal Emerger (name of Tyer ?)
#15 Jimmy Crain (Pattern name ?)
#14 Anthony Naples size 18 Upsidedown Emerger
#13 Gary Hitterman (Pattern name ? He did 2 patterns; one is a size 20 Floro (chironomid thangy......Sorry Gary)
#12 John Larson Sabasa Kabari (Yusurika) Adult Size 20 This is a Tenkara Pattern of mine.
#11 Ian Christie Olive with Flame Orange Cheeks Buzzer
#10 ???
#9 John Larson Tanytarsus Adult Cripple Size 24
#8 John Larson Size 18 Glo-Lite Series Blood Chironomid Larva (non-bead)
#7 John Larson Size 18 Glo-Lite Series (non-bead) Blood Chironomid Larva
#6 John Larson Size 24 Transluscent Series Flash Chironomid (Red) ; Tied also in Orange, Pink, Olive, Tan, & Chart.
#5 ???
#4 ???
#3 John Larson Size 16 Virtual Horse Fly
#2 Roy Christie
#1 ???

I am sure that I am missing something here, but this is what I know of what is what on Midges.
I am operating with Dangerously high bloodpressure right now (199/108) and if it does not come down after another shot of Clonodine, I am heading to the Hospital. I have been in bed comatose all day, so again I thank you all (especially Roy) for the great work you have done on this swap. The pics even though they are great, do not give the Midges real justice (you have to really see these in your hand under the proper light or against the water & with magnification). It takes a super Macro Lens and super great Digital Camera with all the proper light, bells & whistles to go with it.
I take a look at each one of these Midges in hand with the proper magnification and correct light, and then I am able to see the amazing work that was done on each one of these patterns. **** Please, post your recipe for the Midge pattern you tied. What we have are great samples to work from (it is better to tie from a recipe; if I were to lose any of these while fishing, I would cry big time. I have learned over the many years that what beautiful patterns I recieved should have been archived for future reference (to tie). I could kick myself for some of the great patterns I have lost (even as a kid); like some classic Wet Flies I received from a 101 year old guy ( a real front range legend) in Lyons, Colorado; or some classics I received from Hank Roberts.....etc................you get the picture......to this day I cry and kick myself. The great patterns I still have in hand I keep, I tie up one from the sample. Enough said........PLEASE POST RECIPE TO YOUR GREAT MIDGE PATTERN !!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS & TIGHT LINES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roy
03-14-2012, 05:14 AM
Thanks John,
I have updated the pics to reflect same,
ket me know of the others as we can...

Alpinefly
03-14-2012, 10:02 AM
My bad.....#4 was done by Reelsister (Avril) according to her response, and I now do not know who did #17. Gus, you did one of those; would #17 be your pattern ???

gusstrand
03-15-2012, 09:38 AM
The Krystal Emerger was mine...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gn8ph-BfJwg/T16OlVE7VbI/AAAAAAAAALM/d-uXMQbd9YA/s1600/Snofly2011+16.png

-G

Hortoncreek
03-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Mine is #5
Eyemerger
by Jeff Fox

Thanks Roy. Nice blog you have too.

Alpinefly
03-20-2012, 11:04 PM
I agree !!! Very nice Blog/Web/Site Roy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!