PDA

View Full Version : I'm new

jimwright
08-29-2011, 07:33 AM
Hello everyone, I am returning to fly fishing after a forty something year absence. Though I fish local stillwaters, my real enthusiasm is for float and wade trips on some small streams in southeastern LA. and even more on trips not yet taken to Smoky Mountain National Park and returning to Montana and other western states for small stream trout fishing.

51BC
08-29-2011, 07:40 AM
Welcome Jim!! And welcome back to fly fishing. Is LA for Louisiana or Los Angles? I lived in Long Beach many years ago and have a sister in southern Mississippi, so I feel connection either way.

jimwright
08-29-2011, 08:14 AM
I am in Baton Rouge but my wife has family near Long Beach and my son is in West Hollywood so I am familiar with and like the area. I see you are from Minnesota, another area that I have considered fishing sometimes is the northeast corner of Iowa/southeast corner of Minnesota. I worked at Prarie Island nuclear power plant a few miles below Hastings, MN. during the month of Febuary about 10 years ago and though somewhat chilly for small stream trout I found the area there and south into Iowa beautiful.

51BC
08-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Yes, the S.E. part of MN, N.E. Iowa and the adjacent part of WI are fantastic. Get down there whenever I can! Up here, ae streams have a lot less productivity, but still have a charm of their own. My experience in your part of the world is limited to some farm ponds (good fun), a little on the Bogue Chito in Mississippi and some pier fishing at Biloxi. All good times! (Never met a fish I didn't like!)
Used to fish in Holy Jim Canyon in So Cal many years ago and landed my first trout on the Kern. Fond memories.