PDA

View Full Version : bamboo

trout-nut
08-27-2011, 03:27 PM
I don't know if this the right place to post but here goes anyway. I'm interested in getting into planing bamboo rods. Does anyone have plans on how to build a binder and a beveler? I have some ideas in mind but would like to see oter ideas also. I am going to plane the first few all the way buy hand and start using a bevelr for rough planing down the road. Thanks for any input. You can post it here or email me at fsanmartin1@aol.com

51BC
08-27-2011, 05:16 PM
Have you checked out this site? http://www.thomaspenrose.com/ Seems to be quite a bit of information on building the planing forms, not so much on binders.

trout-nut
08-27-2011, 07:40 PM
Yes I have been to his web site. I think I'm going to buy a planing form only because I'm not equip to and the knowledge on how to work with steel I do not have. I do know to play with wood so I can build lot of the other items. Thanks for the info

51BC
08-28-2011, 07:20 AM
Keep us updted onyour progress. I've thought long and hard on this, just haven't taken the plunge.

trout-nut
08-28-2011, 01:14 PM
I'm trying to do all the tools on a budget. I've bought a couple of culms from another fly shop that is closing its doors this week. I'm looking for some plans on binders and bevelers. I've seen quite a few different pictures but I would really like to see some up close for other ideas. I've already got a homemade cork turner that i bought from the fly shop cork rings and other items now i need to get done to fun stuff before I start planing.

adam
08-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Grassart.net

trout-nut
08-31-2011, 08:23 AM
Thanks Adam I will take alook there.

adam
09-01-2011, 12:50 AM
You have to be invited, you have to know someone.

Many talented people, names, secrets, techniques etc.

...hidden from public view.

gusstrand
09-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Another site Adam was the genesis of....

trout-nut
09-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Yes I can see that I got to look at it and read some of the forum but that was as far as I could go. Besides that I have limited knowledge on these new fangled contraptions anyway.

adam
09-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Gus too.

Gus is instrumental in this that those and the other thing.

Grassart, not easy to get in.

Not looking for members...

trout-nut
09-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Still working on tools to get started. I got a few already. The biggest cost will be the planing form. I'm going to buy a Bellinger, I figure I will start out with the best. Finances a little tight right now. Hopefully will start planing dec. or jan.

trout-nut
01-11-2012, 07:41 PM
I just started spliting a bamboo culm today. I getting ready to do all the prep work that required prior to planing. My planing form is ordered, I just don't know when I will receive it. It wasn't a very good culm alot of check splits all over the place. I will be lucky to get 2 butt sections out of the lower half. I didn't split the top half yet.

51BC
01-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Getting sarted collect tools with eldest son. Yep, cost does slow down the process! Where did you get the bamboo? Would you say to be cautious of quality and where you order from? We have been thinking of getting the bamboo from Andy Royer.

trout-nut
01-13-2012, 08:31 PM
I bought a couple of culms from a local fly shop that went out of business. They had come from Andy Royer. I don't beleive they had put a check split in them because they are spliting all over the place. I found a builder I can buy a few culms from untill I get enough money together to buy a bundle and have shipped to a business here. I'm still in the learning process. I guess I will be there for awhile, its going to be a little more dificult than antisapated. But I will get it and so will you. I will keep updating progress but its a little slow for now.

51BC
01-14-2012, 08:46 AM
It certainly isn't an enterprise for the impatient, but all the little challenges are going to make it that much sweeter when we've got it down!

Alpinefly
01-15-2012, 02:30 PM
That is my attitude. I want to take my time to learn this craft properly. I want to take my time in collecting quality tools. At the same time, I want to take my time in crafting some quality rods (that is what it is all about). Just like fly tying and fly designing, it took years to get where I am now (and I am still learning).
I also credit great people who took their time to mentor me along the way, and share their knowledge and talents. The best (and even legendary) Fly Fishermen & women, Fly Casters, Fly Tyers, and Rod Builders are also great teachers that are more then happy to share their talents and knowledge with others (Fly Fishing was and is called the "Gentleman's Sport"....not the Snobs Sport) !!!

trout-nut
02-07-2012, 10:06 AM
I now have 2 rods rough planed and I have them ready for heat treating. Oven is just about completed. My planing form is being machine now. Hopefully will have by the end of the month. I've decided to go with Colorado Bootstrap planing form. They are made in New Mexico. The cost is a little less than the Bellinger. Oh well I will get there soon enough and be ready for spring fishing BWO's. One of the blanks is going to be 7' 4wt. granger taper and the other one is a 7'6" 5/6 wt. probably going to be a young taper. I already have a rod in mind for the next one. It sures is addicting.

RonT
02-22-2012, 09:26 AM
Have you considered a PMQ? Here's my latest.
Cheers,
R

http://i43.tinypic.com/1zb0yh.jpg

trout-nut
02-22-2012, 10:08 AM
No thats another planing form, not in the budget now. Since my last post I have gotten 2 more rods ready to be heat treated. I've rough planed a 7' 3 piece and a 8' 2 piece 2 tip 6 wt. rod. Still waiting on the planing form. I'm thinking of going to the shop today and spliting another culm. Its addicting beside it give me some more practice at spliting bamboo strips and getting ready for another rod. I will keep informing on the progress of this project as when planing form gets here.

RonT
02-22-2012, 11:35 AM
No planing form req'd, only a flat surface.
R

68guns
03-01-2012, 02:52 PM
Ron:

Do you have anymore PMQ pics you can post?

ACLakey
03-01-2012, 04:17 PM
You could also talk to my friend Chet at http://www.genuinebellinger.com/store/ He is always willing to help, tell him Andrew sent you.

gusstrand
03-06-2012, 11:00 AM
+1 on Chet... Good human, and glad the Bellinger deal has worked out so well for him!

RonT
03-07-2012, 04:25 PM
68Guns,
Here's the only other pics that I have. This is the form that i used for the first rod. I discovered that i didn't need a form and just planed the sections freehand. Seemed to work out.
R
http://i39.tinypic.com/1zyx3xg.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/4r6qrt.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/59zevn.jpg

68guns
03-12-2012, 07:21 PM
That form is very nice. Are the two sides of aluminum independant of each other or are they one piece? It appears they are two seperate pieces.

RonT
03-13-2012, 08:39 AM
They are. The cross blots are in 3/8" x 1" slots to allow up/down adjustment. The short dowels the protrude up are stops, one is slotted to stabilize the tip section. It's kinda skinny....~>.033 and the slot keeps it plumb. I don't use the rails any more.
I have since gone to a flat surface (work bench) and a clamp on one end for the roughing part.
If there is a trick, it's keeping the plane level (Square). Sooner or later you kinda' get the hang of it.
R

adam
03-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Bind by hand, binder not necessary.

Form?

You need one.

trout-nut
03-27-2012, 12:25 AM
Just received planing form still waiting on gauge. Can't wait to get started.

trout-nut
04-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Started final planing yesterday. I'm having a little trouble with gauge getting the measurements. Hopefully I will figure it out today. Also ordered the glue I intend using should be here next week.

adam
04-07-2012, 11:36 AM
Have you tried rodbuildingforum.com? I want you to succeed but I don't have the time to help. I have so many irons in the fire. There are different gauges, you have to calibrate, your caliper for measuring needs to be in good order. Planing the first strips is a time for so many questions...

trout-nut
04-07-2012, 06:19 PM
I was really confused for a little while. I set my gauge to whatever # I wanted on the form and then measured with the caliber and came up with 2 different #'s. I move the strips on the form till they measured the right # on the calibers. My first butt section came out to small. So I plane another rod and set the form with the gauge and didn't worry to much about the calipers just made all the strips uniform and low and behold I put it together with tape and they where right what they where suppose to be. I was really confused for awhile. I just ordered a waara block for measuring purposes to make up the difference on the way the gauge is set up. I think I'm on the right track again. Waiting for glue to arrive to see what happens on the next challenge, the glueing of the strips. Can't wait to get get started. Thanks Adam for the advice.

adam
04-07-2012, 10:54 PM
At a minimum, you should be reading Cattanach's book. It is a simple formula for making bamboo rods his way. There are so many ways to do it but Wayne's book will break down each section to a layman's explanation of how to do each step including setting a form so that your strips will make the taper of your choice. This site, although it is all about fishing, and there are bamboo builders here, the site is about fishing. I used to "fish" in my mind while I made rods...

Rodbuildingforum.com has many makers there.

Take care, get Wayne's book and good luck.

trout-nut
06-09-2012, 04:58 PM
I now have 4 rods completed and another couple in various stages. If I new how to post pictures I would do that. Maybe someone can help me out with that. I will probably have some for sale before long. They are really casting nicely.

Fred

adam
06-10-2012, 11:21 PM
We used to have a really nice set of buttons that helped you do everything really easy. Now you have to check the FAQ's and remember a bunch of code. Not everyone likes that and I believe we have lost some quality with the loss of the easy interface.

The interface to the forum, what the forum allows and helps you do took a major hit when we lost it in an upgrade.

So I apologize for the difficulty in the "ease of use" department.