PDA

View Full Version : Prayers please... Laid off

gusstrand
08-27-2011, 01:54 PM
My position was eliminated in a restructure last week, and I have found myself unemployed.

Your kind thoughts, prayers, smoke are appreciated.

-Gus

trout-nut
08-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Sorry to hear that. Been there myself also December will be 3 years. I.ve decided to what I use to and that minor home repairs among other things. Just getting started. Bad time in the economy to try to start a business. But oh well you gotta eat.

51BC
08-27-2011, 05:26 PM
My prayers are with you, Gus. Times are tough. I'm on a pension , but I have two sons in construction that have had a tough time as of late.(One, a jurneyman electrician, was out of work for nearly two years untill recently getting a job changing semi tires for just over minimum wage.) Even my son with 13 years in the Navy was told that everyone will be reviewed to see if they are 'candidates for retention'! I'm praying that better times are coming soon, for you and everyone else in a bind these days.

tyingfool
08-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Gus,
Sorry to hear about misfortune.My wife and I will pray for you and you family.Stay strong .

David

Braden
08-28-2011, 01:53 PM
I will pray for you and you family.

adam
08-29-2011, 07:51 AM
You will survive, know that.

Know that we all understand your position and want you to succeed.

Positive thoughts headed your way...

Sign up with headhunters, recruiters, your job now is to find a job, my point is that you still have to keep life in order.

You paid for un-em, time to use it.

Wishing you the best.

martin_b
08-29-2011, 12:05 PM
My thoughts are with you Gus. Are you totally screwed financially or how is it? I have, along with almost everybody else around here with a job, a type of insurance that guarantees me about 80% of my salary for up to a year if I were to be laid off. Do you have anything similar or how is it where you're at? Just curious.

Martin

mems
08-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Sorry to hear that, keep the faith I am sure a better job awaits. It is their loss. Mems.

flickfly
08-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Guss, Been there had that happen. You're in my prayers.

Ernest
09-01-2011, 10:07 AM
I add my prayers.

The risk of bad emotional/psychological impacts is very high right now. Don't succumb, or it will be harder to find that next employment.

Adam is right, your job now is to find the next job. Develop an agressive business plan to find that job, and follow through full time.

You're not alone. Some others in this community have been forced to reinvent ourselves. Some of us have never found an equivalent position, and some of us have found even better lives.

adam
09-01-2011, 11:41 PM
Consider health care, everyone is getting older, records and everything electronic. Maybe start up IT and or head up IT in a big hospital system. Electronic records are mandated now, everything is computerized.

University level IT?

Plan your work and work your plan to success.

You will do it, you will.

Trucha
09-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Gus, my prayers are with you.

adam
09-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Gus, I hope you are progressing towards gainful employment.

Doctor
09-06-2011, 02:03 AM
Gus ,
best wishes for a speedy return to employment ,it really hurts when you cant get work ,my ten months of unemployment had me very depressed ,with out the support of family and friends think I might have spiralled into major depression and worse.
So there are prayers for you in North London !

gusstrand
09-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Something happened to this thread in the database... test post.

...fixed.

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas, gents!

Wallyran
09-08-2011, 06:40 AM
You have my best wishes.

I hope that, in hindsight, this will turn out to be at least a mixed blessing with interesting new opportunities coming your way, and I agree with the others: The more thought and work you put into shaping and pursuing the next phase of your professional life the more good fortune is likely to smile upon you.

Good luck

Doctor
09-13-2011, 02:01 AM
Gus for some reason I cant acess page 2 of this thread ,keep being told to contact admin .
So I am here !
Hope things are going to get better for you soonest !

Alpinefly
09-13-2011, 06:01 PM
You got my prayers Gus. I am unemployed, and trying to make the money with tying flies (not much but something). I am also facing a 3rd major spinal surgery. I know that right now, the Lord provides, and prayers are always needed. Stay tough and strong. God will get us through the tough times for sure !!!

adam
09-14-2011, 08:02 AM
Gus, can't view the last page, internal server error.

Are you ok?

adam
09-14-2011, 08:04 AM
Alpinefly, good positive thoughts your way too.

Alpinefly
09-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks Adam. I saw the Internal Sever Error problem too. Everyone is having a hard time these days it seems. Just have to trust that God will get us through all this. My wife said at least we have a roof over our head and food in our guts (just have to figure out how we will pay the electric bill since I am not receiving anymore unemployment checks). I am at the vise tying and trying to keep my focus. As long as I stay busy at the vise (and not flat on my back in bed) it is hard to get depressed. I just don't look forward to this surgery or being bedridden (6 months rehab). Hopefully I can still tie despite all that (have to stay busy somehow).

gusstrand
09-14-2011, 07:47 PM
Server error is only on this thread. not sure why... it's befuddling me.

adam
09-15-2011, 07:25 AM
I didn't get it the server error this time, it went straight to the end of the thread.

We struggle at the Trahan residence as well. Both of us have jobs and our jobs are so full of stresses that it is sometimes unbearable. It's 5:10a and I am writing at small streams, hmm, not because I am stoked on fly fishing...

I'm writing because I want to share with Gus and who ever else that is reading. Sharing success and failures is important to me. We are a team here, we always have been. We are at a pretty high level right now because of everyone pulling together and sharing what we love.

We all walk our own path, we have to make choices, some of them are so difficult...

We are a product of our choices.

Gus, when bad stuff happens to me, I try to learn from it. I have learned NOT to blame it on G~d. I try to understand what happened and not put myself in that position again. I've learned that I am not in control of each step of the way however I am in control of the direction of my life. I depend on other people but ultimately, I depend only on myself.

I hope you get a job soon.

You may have to change some things around but it does not mean that you have failed, it just means that you have to adjust your course to weather a storm.

You got to have storms to make the flowers grow and the streams flow.

Uhh, well, just know that I'm thinking of you and I know I could be in your position at any time and I will be using my own advice to weather change.

Alpinefly, I am praying for you too.

I'm praying for good things to happen. Positive vibes, good things.

Some people could use these things more than others. We have our own issues but I really hope you guys get the ship sailing quickly.

martin_b
09-15-2011, 10:46 AM
Server error is only on this thread. not sure why... it's befuddling me.

It may have to do with the three "..." at the end. E.g. this link doesn't work: http://smallstreams.com/showthread.php?7383-Prayers-please...-Laid-off.../page3 but this does: http://smallstreams.com/showthread.php?7383-Prayers-please...-Laid-off...&p=51068#post51068

ACLakey
09-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Sorry to hear that again, hope all is well.

Andrew

Hortoncreek
09-28-2011, 04:26 PM
I would second Adam's idea about looking into getting into healthcare. Population is aging but at same time Medcare and Commercial Insurance are paying physicians and hospitals less. They are turning to technology to become more efficient. Inquire at hospitals, large physician groups, insurance plans like BCBS, United Healthcare, Aetna, etc. Closed health systems such as Kaiser, Cleveland Clinic, Mayo Clinic. Finally, apply at the Medicare processor in Texas who I beleive is Trailblazer.
www.trailblazerhealth.com

If you have IT skills you are a lot better off than those who do not.

Jeff

Doctor
01-26-2012, 01:16 PM
Looking at Linkedin looks like our wise leader here may well be back in work ,if so Hurrrah from chilly London town !

Trucha
01-27-2012, 12:45 PM
My prayers to you and yours. Sorry to hear about being laid off.

gusstrand
01-31-2012, 12:05 AM
Hy guys, yes, I am gainfully employed! Landed this job on 23 December. Thanks for the kind words and good vibes!

And yes, it is in health care, actually!

Actually writing this from a room in the Rio in Las Vegas here for work. I now work for Hanger Orthopedic as 50% of their corporate training function. they moved their corporate offices to Austin last year.

This is a little video about the Company: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YK0GLpM_2s

We even make, well, dolphin tails... :)

Sorry I haven't updated you guys! Been a busy month getting back to work!

jeepster
01-31-2012, 07:47 AM
---------------Sweet !

ksbioteacher
01-31-2012, 08:03 AM
Good deal---an in Austin.

ksbioteacher
01-31-2012, 03:27 PM
Good deal---and in Austin.

51BC
02-02-2012, 08:23 AM
Glad to hear you've found work! Hope you like the new job.

gusstrand
02-02-2012, 09:31 PM
New job is good... teaching classes is the same wherever I am, this Company appreciates the courses and content, and I had a great chat with this coworker last night... He's a rock star to my daughter and the guy who built the dolphin's tail (and is a little shorter than Morgan Freeman... LOL.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v33/piscator/a1/kcarroll1.jpg

centralsierra
02-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Fantastic!

Alpinefly
02-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Excellent !!! I know Hanger Orthopedic well. They probably will be playing a part in my rehabilitation from Spinal surgery #3 now scheduled for April 9th.
Prayers do get answered !!!

trout-nut
02-03-2012, 12:50 PM
I had a knee brace made from them quite a few years ago. I no longer need it since I had a knee replacement. Glad you are back to work

ags
02-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Gus,

It's great that you are back among the employed.

ACLakey
02-28-2012, 04:18 PM
I know I am late but Congrats!!