PDA

View Full Version : Indicators: (Please, a little help)

adam
07-31-2011, 03:20 PM

Hey guys, I know one of you has knowledge where to get these indicators.

I have two left, the original two that I bought but I realize they are doing double duty now and I need a couple to have in reserve.

If you could leave a link where to buy them online, that would be very cool. If you see them in person, I will pay you for a couple, white, grey, light colors or one of each.

These indicators are the best that I have found commercially available for my type of hinged line indicator technique.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. for those of you that don't know, the little sleeve in the picture pulls back to reveal a "hook" that grips on your line, the indicator can then be placed anywhere on the line which is very helpful for weight of fly, depth and flow adjustment.

adam
08-01-2011, 09:18 PM
C'mon boys, someone has to know where to get these...

springwell
08-02-2011, 07:31 AM
Well,

We don't have indicators like that here! Looks more like a shuttlecock!

I don't use indicators, but we have a system here whereby using a special slip knot you can slide a bushy fly or up or down your leader to vary the depth.

If I can find a link I'll post it.

Bill

gusstrand
08-02-2011, 10:15 AM
I used to make them out of egg yarn and greased em up with flotant... that one looks cool.

adam
08-02-2011, 10:53 AM
It is very cool, you can adjust it easily, take it off, it just solves a problem quickly and it indicates well. I have two, I only use one but I will tell you, I really would like to have a few more just in case. I feel like a hoarder but hey, you find something you like...

Anything about indication, I'm up for. It is a mystical skill that I always pay attention to. I am fishing a pole these days and this indicator really shines with that technique.

gusstrand
08-02-2011, 12:53 PM
Indicators are one of those bad juju topics in the steelhead world I came from, but I've always used them, and think they're great tools. Any distinguishing marks on those?

Oh - I also used to love biostrike putty. Seems for the long reel-less rods it might be the ticket as well...

adam
08-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Fishing is fishing.

I used to use Biostrike when Orvis distributed it long ago but I learned quickly that lighter indicators worked much better.

Still looking...

gusstrand
08-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Can't find those anywhere - my google-fu is not strong with this one!

adam
08-03-2011, 07:41 AM
That is my point.

I searched "online fly shop" and went down the list pretty far, all the big names, nadda, zip.

Will try a different angle, giving it a break.

Ernest
08-03-2011, 10:57 AM
Seems that you could make your own in about a minute with a hank of egg yard (or similar), a narrow piece of plastic tubing (say, from the innards of a discarded ballpoint pen), and a piece of narrow, stiff, but bendable wire (like a straight pin). Adust the sizes of all parts to the intended stream flows, leave the egg yarn long on purpose, and then trim that back on stream for the immediate conditions.

I'll take a little while to make something from materials on hand rather than spend time looking for a difficult to find perhaps discontinued commercial product.

adam
08-03-2011, 06:14 PM
Yes, I do believe I could make them, I still have my original "arrow" but these are really nice and I am afraid that the may be discontinued...

Might be time to integrate the Arrow into a tenkara line.

springwell
08-05-2011, 03:47 AM
They are available from Sierra Trading post, but are sold out - Orvis nymph tracker strike indicator, perhaps discontinued?

Bill

gusstrand
08-05-2011, 09:43 AM
I can check the Dallas Orvis store next week for them, Adam... If they have any, I'll buy them out. Supposedly were getting an Orvis in Austin, too...

Of course, if they are on Sierra Trading, they're likely disco.

adam
08-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Yeah!!!

Progress.

Gus, just a few, white and peach.

PayPal if it happens.

Thank you so much.

Aloha.

adam
08-05-2011, 06:25 PM
http://www.affta.com/media/publications/blacks-fly-fishing-directory/32_Strike_Indicators.pdf

Let's see if I can get them first...

adam
08-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Ok, back to needing help.

If you see them, please p/u for me.

Thanks in advance.

adam
08-10-2011, 11:33 PM
Dead end.

Am still looking.

adam
08-13-2011, 04:24 PM
Pleeeze, if you are in the fly shop, take a look will ya?

ACLakey
08-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Can't help locating the ones in your pic but I cut a small piece of macro may yarn, comb it out and apply floatant. I then make a loop in my leader and place the yarn through. Then secure with a ortho rubber band. Quick adjustable and easy to remove.

adam
08-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Yup, early on before all the different choices in yarn indicators were commercially available, I created my own version and wrote about it here at smallstreams.com

I still have it tucked away in a Wheatley Fly Box dedicated to tailwater flys.

I like the one I am asking for help with getting. I have a couple now, I want a few more as they work really well for hinged technique.

I like them that much.

If you find one, I would really appreciate it if you helped me get more.

Thanks.

http://tenkara.phpwebhosting.com/tkf_vb/showthread.php?433-Indication

adam
03-31-2012, 12:03 AM
Guys, please, still looking...

adam
04-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Still trying...

martin_b
04-09-2012, 04:12 AM
I have been intrigued by those indicators myself and have done quite a bit of searching. I believe it's near impossible to get them anywhere...

adam
04-09-2012, 01:30 PM
The thing of it is, they are easily repositionable. I am particular about my indicators and this one indicates very well AND you can move or remove it quickly...

I have two I think, if I have three, I will send you one.

Somewhere, on the counter of a fly shop there is a big plastic container with a bunch of these. I'm hoping that someone remembers and purchases a few for me and I will send them the money. They can even gouge me a bit, I want them that bad.

Bad enough for me to make them myself.

It is probably not that hard...

martin_b
04-10-2012, 04:57 AM
I would very much like one if you happen to have three! In the meantime I'm using these when I need to be able to reposition the indicator. It works, but perhaps not as well as the ones you're after: http://www.aos.cc/live/catalog/strike-indicator-p-4641-l-1.html

adam
04-13-2012, 09:16 AM
Still looking.

grayling
04-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Ha !! adam . . . i just saw this thread. They have been my favorite for many years. Bought the last couple i've seen from Alaska Flyshop here in Fairbanks before they closed down several years ago. The new shop tried hard but said they are no longer available. When you are down to your last one . . . i'll mail you a white one . . . the only color i have left in my diminished stash.

adam
04-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Oh you tease!

I have two as of now so I will really appreciate it if you never have to send that one to me...

Or something like that.

I'm just used to them, they act very much like my arrow but I only use it for my tenkara rod when I am big fish nymphing.

THANK YOU!