PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Horsefly

Alpinefly
07-26-2011, 02:14 AM
Where there is water, there are Horseflies. Where there are water and Horseflies, there are Fish !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://smallstreams.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=163&stc=1&d=1311664339

Alpinefly
07-26-2011, 03:29 AM
Here's a little better picture taken from the Sno-Fly Swap !!! Yep, not all Diptera are tiny. Horsefly which is a Diptera (midge) can be a size 16 or even as large as a size 14 !!!
http://smallstreams.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=163&stc=1&d=1311664339

51BC
07-26-2011, 06:52 AM
Great looking fly! Would you care to share the recipe?

Alpinefly
07-26-2011, 10:54 AM
I do have a video tutorial that I hope will be posted later, since this is one of the patterns that Feathercraft and Rainys (I hope) will be producing on down the line(selling in their Catalogues..........yep.......I now keep Sri Lankin sex slaves in my closet; really the production tyers tying my Hydro-Psycho Caddis Larva are from Thailand). I am trying to submit many more of my patterns to Feathercraft & Rainys since they have taken interest after the Hydro-Psycho Larva. Orvis is sitting on a bunch of my patterns as well. I guess I better feed these Sri Lankin sex slaves some extra rice LMAO !!!!!!!!!!!!
Enjoy & TIght Lines !!!
John M. Larson (Alpinefly)

Tied and Submitted by: John Larson

Pattern Recipe:
Hook: Gamakatsu C12 Scud Size 16
Thread 8/0 Gray
Eyes: 2 Red Glass Midge Beads Inside a square of Oraganza.
Body: Small Strip of White Razor Foam Colored Olive with Prisma Color Marker; 2 Peacock Herl Palmered, and 8 Peacock Herl Pulled Over Top.
Thorax: White Flex Floss Colored With Olive, then Blue Prisma Color.
Legs Legs: Pheasant Tied Vili Auti Style.
Wings: Stalcup Medalian Sheeting (two small strips & clipped to shape; then 2 Peacock Sword Featrhers Pamered & Tied Off)
Finish: Sally Hansens Clear Diamond Strength

Pattern History:
This patterns is 2 years old and has proven deadly on the water. Why not ??? This pattern copies the Horse Fly, Screw Fly, Blow Fly. Common House Fly. How many times have you been fishing and swated these pesky beast !!!
They are all over the water & drop to the water. The fish love them !!!!!!

Comments / Special Instructions:
Step 1: Secure Hook in Vise & start Thread bhind Eye.
Step 2: Catch 2 Red Midge glass Beads inside a small square of Organza, secure behind eye with 2 regular wraps, 3 figure 8 between both bead eyes, then wrap down hook. Clip excess, & dab drop of Super Glue.
Step 3: Wrap thread down to hook curve, tie in small strip of white Razor Foam & Color Olive with Prisma Color. Tie in 10 Peacock Herl.
Step 4: Wrap 2 Pacock Herl up 3/4 of the shank, end where you will begin thorax. Pull remaining 8 Peacock Herl up and over, then secure.
Step 5: Tie in white Flex Floss, Palmer up to behind bead eyes& tie off.
Step 6: Work Thread back to beginning of Thorax White Flex Floss. Color Olive, then Blue with Prisma Color.
Step 7:Turn Fly Upside Down. Tie in Pheasant legs (6) Vili Auti Style (The best way to learn this technique is to watch Oliver Edwards Essential Elements Video tying the Hydropsyche). You bring one pheasant steand up under the thread, move into position, then bring the second up under the thread the same way. Slide to where they are in the right length and position. Make a second wrap to secure and clip excess. Dab a bit of super glue at base of legs. You wilol do this for each pair of three or six legs total !!! As I said, watching Oliver Edwards Do this will help you get the idea of Vili Auti Technique of legs which can be transferred to other patterns.
Step 8: Turn Fly Right Side Up. Work thread back Between Legs To Beginning of Thorax. You will want to touch up with Blue Prisma Color. Tie in Two small Strips of Medallian Sheeting. Clip to shape. Palmer 2 strips of Peacock Sword (very Blue Irredescent) in front and to behind rear legs, & carefully Whip Finished Behind Rear Legs.
Step 9: Put Sally Hansens Diamond Strength Clear or Wet & Wild Rock Solid Over Thorax & Coat Eyes. You want a smooth Acrylic coating. This should finish the fly to where it looks very realistic. I touch up the wings with Gray Prisma Color Marker. This floats like a cork, but I still add fly floatant !!!!!

Share and Enjoy:

Alpinefly
10-29-2011, 08:15 PM
You can see the video tutorial of the Virtual Horse Fly on the Sno-Fly IX Midge Swap Post along with much more educational information about Midges (Diptera, and Chironomid in all stages of development) !!!!