PDA

View Full Version : Lost the fish of a lifetime last night

martin_b
05-23-2011, 03:54 PM
I went fishing last night. The Mayflies (Ephemera Danica) are at their peak right now. I saw only one rise all evening though. Cast to it, it rose and I felt it for a second, then it was gone. Damn. Went further upstream, but after a few hundred metres I looked back and saw it was rising again. Went back into position, and this time my fishing buddy thought he should pull out the camera to film it. Good thing. At least we got it on camera while it lasted. We guessed the fish to be around 7 or 8 lbs. Biggest fish I've ever hooked on a dry fly. Haven't been able to sleep since :crying: :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nwnSPTUqcM

Martin

ksbioteacher
05-23-2011, 04:30 PM
Good stuff. That was fun. You might be surprised.....that fish will haunt your memories for much longer than if you had actually caught it. After a while the haunting will turn to fond memories of "the fish".

gusstrand
05-23-2011, 08:41 PM
Now you know where it lives. This fish might become your "Walter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_h8C_rCbgU)"

ofuros
05-24-2011, 01:16 AM
made the hair on my arms stand on end........the goosebumps & sleepless nights are worth it,
will keep you on your toes to do battle another day.

ofuros

Satoshi
05-24-2011, 08:59 AM
I enjoyed the video very much, thank you.
Lost fish is always big :biggrin: but this time, we all know it's real!

Satoshi

flickfly
05-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Condolences to Martin, game winning run for the "feesh"

martin_b
05-25-2011, 03:14 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. I went after him last night. I shouldn't have even bothered. It was extremely windy, cold and not an insect or a rise all night. Will have to wait a bit before I try again.

rossa
05-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I went after him last night. I shouldn't have even bothered. It was extremely windy, cold and not an insect or a rise all night. Will have to wait a bit before I try again.

Don't make a habbit of it or we'll have to start calling you Ahab!

mems
05-25-2011, 12:18 PM
The fishes size will only increase with the number of times the story is told. Now you have a challenge, use some three X and he will be yours. Mems.

cti111
06-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Wow - I love the 1st 10 seconds of the battle when the fish is wildly thrashing & flipping his tail back & forth in the air to try and go somewhere fast! Very similar to the big trout I've encountered in smaller waters.

springwell
06-24-2011, 05:58 AM
Shame Martin,

That's a powerful fish, the empty sleepless feeling and recurring images last about 5 days, I've been there.

Did you consider jumping in during the fight to have a better chance? (Bet you felt like jumping in when you lost it)

Bill

martin_b
06-24-2011, 07:48 AM
It's about 2 metres deep at that part of the stream, so I didn't consider jumping in during the fight ;)

cti111
06-24-2011, 11:27 AM
I probably would have jumped in after losing that fish! Couple years ago I fished with a guide in CO (Landon Mayer) that gave me REALLY helpful hints at fighting big fish. He even put out a youtube video on the subject: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50qdNXtyCD8

martin_b
06-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Nice video!