PDA

View Full Version : Tired Old Legs

Lotech Joe
05-22-2011, 11:04 AM
Due to age, accidents & general wear and tear, the old legs don't work as well as they used to. I've seen my wading abilities dwindle in the last 10 years to the point that I can't wade the freestone rivers and creeks around home. I liken my wading to a drunk trying to walk on ball bearings. Not a pretty sight. So I've resorted to using a garden kneeling bench at streamside. Right side up, you can sit on it and upside down you can kneel on it for gardening and such. I was afraid that when I lost my ability to wade, that river and stream fishing would be a thing of the past. However, the kneeling bench has re-opened that fishing venue for me. If anyone else has experienced similar problems, I would heartily recommend the bench. Here is a link to the bench I use.
BENCH (http://www.step2.com/product.cfm?product_id=1097)

philip43
05-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Hi Joe. I was out fishing recently and saw someone wearing knee pads on his legs over his waders. I like to kneel down sometimes to keep a low profile on the stream, and if I kneel on a pointed stone in can be a real pain. I guess if I want my knees to work well for the foreseeable future I should bring knee pads along with the rest of my gear. Philip

ags
08-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Fish a small, private free stone stream which is rather rocky. Some of those rocks are quiet slippery while others are not. The trick is to know which ones are slippery and which ones are not.

Until last year never used a wading staff and never slipped or fell in the stream. But, at the urging of the stream manager/keeper, began using a wading staff. This year forgot to take the wading staff with me a few times, but managed to survive. However, must admit that using the staff makes wading the rock strewn stream much easier and you can wade with greater confidence. My recommendation is that no matter your age, one should use a wading staff when fishing a rock strewn stream.

51BC
08-10-2011, 07:00 AM
I broke down this spring and bought a Folstaff. I'm only 60, but let me tell you, it makes all the difference in the world in fast rocky streams we have in this part of the world!

gusstrand
08-10-2011, 12:24 PM
I used a folstaff all of the time when I lived in Oregon, and I was in my 30's... The Rogue was a fickle mistress who loved to fill your waders for a slightly misplaced foothold.

adam
08-10-2011, 11:32 PM
I'm with the guys on a wading stick. Goodwill, old ski pole, try that first to see if you like it and then you can get fancy with a folder or what ever...

I wish you the best with this.

Doctor
08-11-2011, 12:54 AM
Age does slow me down a bit ,the thought of some of the long hikes over rough ground and some of the rough wading done twenty years ago says NO NO NO .However using a good solid and i stress solid one peice weighted wading staff keeps me going on some "funky" waters .
The aging process has meant I am looking for less demanding fishing styles,Float tubing being one of my latest finds ,fishing in an armchair ,once the finning is learnt its fairly easy and so comfortable.