PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite fly type to tie?

gusstrand
05-10-2011, 04:44 PM
I enjoy one or two types more than others, but they aren't necessarily the ones I catch the most fish on. How about you?

adam
05-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Sakasa Kebari

This is a reversed hackle wet fly, very buggy action driven by a tenkara rod.

Doctor
05-11-2011, 01:25 AM
I have gone for steelhead flys,not that i dress those but most of my dressing these days is simple salmon flys ,not the classic feather wings.
trout and grayling flys I can get from skilled dressers at good prices via the UK forums ,its only the odd specials that i need that I do for myself .
This is a combination of having time ,eyesight not as good as it was,and the onset of arthritis in my hands making long sessions at the vice uncomfortable.

Jax
05-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Dry Flies for me. I just love watching a fish rise to the fly and either Sip, Inhale or just plain Gulp my offering.
Gets the shivers running up and down my spine. I love it!! Jax

adam
05-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Jax, I love surface take as well, my favorite is to see a big fish race to the still surface from deep in pool and break the glass!

But the favorite fly to tie is the fly that augments the action that I can impart on it. I can make this fly "swim" bla bla bla

What is your favorite dry fly to tie man?

Which one gets your goat?

Jax
05-11-2011, 10:24 PM
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/2180/roughycx.th.jpg (http://img854.imageshack.us/i/roughycx.jpg/)

Adam; The fly I fish most often is my Jax Roughy. It is really just a simplified version of a Lee Wulff Style fly.

As a consequence my next best fly is the Wulff Royal Coachman. I hope the pic of the fly comes through . Have Fun. Jax

The Fly that gets my goat is the good old No Hackle. When I get it right. SWEET! BUT when it goes wrong! Do you know just how many ways it is possible to get it wrong? Oh Boy! I hate getting it wrong. Jax

adam
05-12-2011, 12:35 AM
Badass fly man.

It would work here too.

I'll see if I can't show one of mine, I think I got one left that is chewed up. I don't tie many, just what I need in my little box of hooks (kebari)

Alpinefly
05-14-2011, 11:50 AM
The Hydro-Psycho Series Caddis Larva. Next is the Virtual Horse Fly. Then as for Streamers, the Black/ Red Crystal Rattlesnake (simply very deadly for trophy size trout).

adam
05-15-2011, 09:48 PM
Pictures man, or it didn't happen John.

Snickering...

Really, just kidding. Can we see some images of a Hydro-Psycho Series Caddis Larva?

wetflyguy
05-19-2011, 07:57 PM
I fish and tie wets, soft hackles and winged wet .
Do do drys and streamers also.
But Wets is were is's at.

wet

Alpinefly
05-28-2011, 06:44 PM
Adam,
My Hydro-Psycho Series Caddis Larva is in both the Feathercraft Catalogue, and Rainys Fly Fishing Catalogue. I also have a tutorial of how to tie it for those who want such a tutorial (I thought I forwarded one to you Adam). If I can figure how to get pics on here, I will.

flickfly
05-29-2011, 11:24 PM
I tye Soft Hackles & Flymphs. I fish those the most. Next are Streamers- bucktail, calftail feather wing. I dabble in nymphs also.

WCCNovice
06-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Wow, I'm so new at tying that I can't have a favorite yet. I've tied dries, nymphs, soft-hackle wets, foam terrestrials, spun deer hair poppers and a few odd balls. :) I just tied up some foam hoppers and spiders for the little pond I fish for crappie and bluegill. I've caught trout on my green weenies, BHPT, and GRHE (nymph and dry). This is a great way to learn the sport and see if my creations work, too!

Dave

Alpinefly
07-26-2011, 02:07 AM
http://smallstreams.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=161&stc=1&d=1311663762

Alpinefly
07-26-2011, 02:09 AM
The Brown, and Chartreause Colored Hydro-Psycho Series Caddis Larva are currently being sold in Feathercraft and Rainys Fly Fishing Catalogues !!!!

oldnovice
08-15-2012, 07:56 PM
I know I am really late on this thread (I am late on this site), it's been more than a year since the last response, but I want to add my two cents. I feel like Jax, it is so much fun to tie a fly that floats high and entices the fish to come to the surface to take it. My favorite fly is a foam humpy I developed some 15-20 years ago, which I call the Foampy. It is the fly you see under my name, and is my signiture fly.

A close second is the H and L Variant, tied in my special way; rather than tying in a second clump of calf tail for the wing, I simply wrap thread over the body section and post the butt ends for wings and trim them. It is much less bulky than the original, which is a Wulff type. It is much more streamlined and floats beautifully, looking so natural.

Ed

oldnovice
08-15-2012, 08:15 PM
A couple of things I should have pointed out; one, I am insistent on the traditional form of dry fly. The hackel, hook and tail should all address the water sitting on the surface. Two, the Foampy can be tied in various color schemes. What you see in the picture is the Adams colors, with the belly in chartreuse. I have most recently been using for the belly, the UTC Mirage Opal tinsel. I also tie the fly in tan foam with brown tail and hackle, but I always use light dun Z-lon for wings. Z-lon sheds water like nothing else, I have tried them all.