PDA

View Full Version : Hooks hurt!

mems
05-01-2011, 10:16 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/mems15/Hefinallycaughtthebigone.jpg
Aloha, went ono fishing yesterday. Got two nice ones, 37 and 52lbs. Had a big cuda hit a skirt and I didn't even gaff it, just threw it in the box. My friend wanted to get the skirt back in the water and I went to get the trail hook out of the cuda's mouth. Only using my leather man I tried to avoid the teeth, but when I grabbed the hook the fish jumped and put the first hook in my hand. I tried to push the barb through, but the hook was pretty big. I was afraid I might have nicked the artery by my thumb and decided to just head in and go to the emergency room.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/mems15/Boltcuttersusedforsomethingotherthanunlockingsocce rgoals.jpg
The doctor got out the bolt cutters and we got the hook out. The eye of the hook flew across the room.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a371/mems15/Beforethemeds.jpg
This is me before my new favorite drug, delodin! It could have been a lot worse, only good place for a dangerous fish is in the box. Now I just need to avoid infection, so no fishing for a while, Mems.

adam
05-02-2011, 12:00 AM
Ok brah, you no like shark feesh wit yo hand eh?

You need it brah.

Wow, gnarly, good thoughts your way.

Doctor
05-02-2011, 01:53 AM
Mems,
bad luck there,glad I debarb every thing from #22 up yo big salmon irons .
tell me more about the new favorite drug,we might get it here in a decade or so .

adam
05-02-2011, 07:55 AM
Dilaudid is a powerful pain killer. I have heard it compared with heroin but that stuff is poison, no comparison. It is on the next tier stronger than Morphine.

gusstrand
05-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Holy moly. Get better, man! That's a crazy big hook...

Jax
05-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Good thinking there Mems Going to the emergency room was the right move; The last thing you want to do is lose the use of one of your thumbs. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Jax

mems
05-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. The hand is doing better, funny how bad I am at using my left hand. Toothbrush, shaving, all tough, but not as bad as wipping my ass! I will get a longer pair of pliers and throw the fish into the box from now on. Funny how stupid things just happen. I should be back on the water in a week or so. Thanks for the well wishes, Don.

gusstrand
05-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Man, I've been contemplating making this one a front pager just for the pictures... LOL. Glad you're healing, Don!

Alpinefly
05-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Dilaudid I am alergic to. I stick with dee morphine that Doc prescribes me, and wash it down with a beer !!! Dang, just looking at that hurts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ofuros
05-04-2011, 11:19 PM
Now thats a campfire story to tell the grandkids if ever i heard one....cuda...bolt cutters....emergency ward.
Nice tale Mems, with pictures too. Legendary status.

Just don't let it get infected.....

Ofuros.

Satoshi
05-05-2011, 12:48 AM
The size of the hook!!
It's almost as big as trout I fish.
Take care.

Satoshi

Bobbi66
07-27-2012, 03:18 AM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
it looks baaad, are you getting better? is your hand completely fine now?