PDA

View Full Version : What is smallstreams.com? How did it get to where it is now?

gusstrand
04-05-2011, 11:48 PM
smallstreams.com is a website that has had many identities in its life.

smallstreams.com started as a personal small stream fishing blog of Adam Trahan - before you, me or anyone else knew what a blog was.

smallstreams turned in to a forum that was about the stories of fishing small, intimate water - the prose that is so similar to what we all experience in small stream fishing.

smallstreams grew, and tried to be a little commercialized.

smallstreams changed hands, and tried to grow again.

smallstreams imploded as a result of both the bile spewed in its community and the worms of spammers.

smallstreams changed hands again, and was revived.

smallstreams lives.

smallstreams is about you.

smallstreams is about the worldwide community of fly fishermen who prefer the intimate waters most often overlooked by mainstream anglers - the skinny water that hides the little fish that so many people write off, but that we cherish. smallstreams is about the intimacy of fishing in places that we know hold the secrets of good living, and tiny fish filled with spunk that is exponentially larger than their measurement...

smallstreams is different... because, well, we respect each other, the waters we fish, and this world - because, paraphrasing John Voelker from so long ago:

In a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion - because only in the woods can I find solitude without loneliness, and, finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant – and not nearly so much fun.

adam
04-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Umm, ok, that was interesting to read your perspective.

I have my own however your take is accurate and succinct.

So we can go with that...

Nice one.

Doctor
04-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Small streams has been a part of my web surfing life since I bought a reconditioned coal fired ,steam driven heap from a of main street dealer some 12 or so years ago .
Thanks to Adam ,Nick and Gus ,its still here and still kicking .
thanks Guys ,this place has made me a few dear friends in many parts of the world ,helped me to type at a fair speed thanks to a chat room function at one stage (Jax that was fun for a while)
Adam sold me on firefox ,and Gmail ,for which I am very thankful ,helps me look less dumb in the computer age .
it has changed ,it will change ,please may its great character remain !

adam
06-28-2012, 07:51 AM
Hey, I have been clicking on the member name link in any post, it takes you to their profile. You get to see what the member is looking at and all the statistics involved.

I am enjoying the site again now that I have started to figure out the buzzers and bells.

Most of my posts are with my iPhone as I am not always able to comment from my home computer. The site seems mobile friendly too.

More trips planned, more friends here.

gusstrand
06-28-2012, 09:52 AM
The software IS pretty impressive. :)

adam
06-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Absolutely!

I am so glad you did not choose "what's his names" choice, this is good stuff.

I'm going to start using the blog and albums more.

C'mon summer, stay for a while.