PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for tweaks

martin_b
04-05-2011, 01:03 PM
Thought I would start this thread with suggestions for tweaking the new forum software. Gus probably has lots of items he will change in time on his to-do-list, so feel free to delete this thread if it is redundant.

One thing I would like to have changed is the automatic subscribe every time you either start a new thread or reply to an existing one. I would like that feature to be opt-in as it was on phpBB.

What do you think, Gus?

Martin

gusstrand
04-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Nope, post 'em if you have them! I'll make a list!

gusstrand
04-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Martin -

Go to your settings menu (Click Settings up in the right top of the page) and follow this path:

Settings --> General Settings --> Messaging and Notification --> Default Thread Subscription Mode

-Gus

gusstrand
04-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Widths can be fixed or fluid with mins, it's a variable that can be set in the control panel...

I have not added any smilies yet, purposely.

But will.

martin_b
04-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm really liking this new software; it seems to have it all!

And I seem to have gotten a new custom title, awesome!

gusstrand
04-05-2011, 02:48 PM
The title? Well, those who contributed to the software purchase, you have to get some sort recognition...

gusstrand
04-05-2011, 02:56 PM
I found a pack of smilies that I liked (didn't like the "stock" ones so much...) so they are available! You have to "Go advanced" when posting to get the list to pick from, or you can add them by text as always.

:wub::huh::sleep::angry::blushing::biggrin::smile: :laugh::lol::sneaky::blink::bored::mad::confused:: thumbdn::love::thumbsup::cool::mellow::thumbup::cr ying::ohmy::tongue::cursing::rolleyes::drool::unsu re::razz::w00t::flapper::sad::wink::scared:

martin_b
04-05-2011, 03:21 PM
The title? Well, those who contributed to the software purchase, you have to get some sort recognition...

Cool :thumbup:

gusstrand
04-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Oh, I added a couple more... Couldn't resist...

:swords:

:casting:

gusstrand
04-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Widths can be fixed or fluid with mins, it's a variable that can be set in the control panel...

Yes, widths can be either fixed or fluid, based on a variable set in the control panel and dependent upon the theme you're using.

As far as evaluation goes as well, also know I have the CMS and blog functions currently disabled... But will be working on the CMS functionality first once I'm comfortable with the forums functioning, then enable userblogs for people to use, or not.

adam
04-06-2011, 08:11 AM
I'm at a loss to make suggestions. Everything is already there. Settings for experience are highly configurable, ipad/ipod friendly, the user blogs and CMS are in the wings...

I dig it so far.

We are well on the way at tenkara-fisher for community support for this software using the template you drew up.

I like the albums and I am simply doing a bit of exploring before I get back to writing. My mailbox was chock full and needs attention so I just deleted everything and will manage more efficiently now.

That may be a bit of trouble for some...

Thank you Gus, you have made some great choices.

gusstrand
04-06-2011, 08:52 AM
I think the default PM box size is like 50. I just doubled that in the settings. Hopefully that will help.

adam
04-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Oh, now you fix it...

<smile>

I really like the software, I bet there is more to it.

Thank you again.

gusstrand
04-06-2011, 04:43 PM
It's REALLY deep software. I haven't scratched the surface of the settings. It's not overly intuitive on the back end... Don't want to dig TOO deep, though. Working on getting all of the old articles from the old site to the front...

adam
04-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Just a suggestion, take your time, have fun with it.

Use that content to get us through any "spells"

It is really rockin the way it is, I believe you will take the place farther than it has ever been...

And I enjoyed your timeline post on smallstreams.com

Accurate.

AZWanderings
04-07-2011, 10:18 AM
I wanted to say that the new upgrades look great. Thank you Gus for all the time you are putting in.

Ben

gusstrand
04-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Thanks to all of you! I have put in way more hours than I've ever spent getting us running this time. I installed, reconfigured, and imported at least six times before turning this tiger loose. I learned from mistakes each time, and have to say that the support for this software via their "hidden" dedicated forums you get access to when you are a paying customer is first rate. I figure I have about fifty hours in the the migration, but I really wanted it to work as smoothly as possible. I work away from home a fair bit, it's given me something to do in the hotel in the evenings. It's put a cramp in my reading though. I've got two of Clive Cussler's "Oregon Files" novels I bought a couple months ago that I hadn't started. Cracked open the first one last night, so I must be feeling comfortable with the way things are going here.

Again, thanks to all of you guys - the community makes this place, not the software...

adam
04-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Again, thanks to all of you guys - the community makes this place, not the software...

Yes, that is important to remember...

Nice one Gus.

gusstrand
04-12-2011, 12:01 PM
hmmm. going to have to look in to that. Looks like a permission setting somewhere

gusstrand
04-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Check now. On the page to view the article there should be a commenting area at the bottom.

gusstrand
04-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Which story did you add to?

gusstrand
04-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Try it again - seems it may have been lost in the ether. Been messing with the permissions and didn't see any pending moderation or anything else... but believe I have it set. I just posted a test comment and it worked...

gusstrand
04-21-2011, 12:37 PM
Likely your cookies. It doesn't remember you initially and then on the refresh it indexes your cookie from the last time. I'm looking at the cookie settings and refresh settings - it's deep.

adam
04-21-2011, 01:29 PM
Gus, it does the same thing for me. Late model Mac with same OS running Chrome. Your posted stories to the front page, the comments do not show up however the "original post" link at the bottom of the story takes you to the story where the comments are... I think it is supposed to be that way. I don't think you will be able to fix it because it isn't a fixing thing.

Personally, I am really digging the features, you don't have them all turned on either...

icefire
01-17-2012, 10:24 AM
Cool smileys gus. hopefully more smileys and tweaks to come. Thanks for replying fast to us. Its a great help.