PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Small Stream

AZWanderings
04-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Fished a couple of the high small streams this weekend and had the pleasure of wet wading (one of the perks of living in Arizona). Found a couple of these bright colored wild rainbows in the upper reaches of one of the creeks. Most came on a mini-hopper with a ice-dubbed pheasant tail tagging along behind, although a couple decided a foam posted parachute Adams was the ticket. All beautiful fish and I missed a nice 13-14 inch fish on a poor hook set. In the grand scheme of things, it was probably the worst thing to happen to me with a month and a half of teaching still ahead of me. Let the creek fishing begin...

Ben

Westcountry
04-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Plump little fellows aren't they :)

Andy

jeepster
04-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Looking good. http://users.dakotacom.net/~jeepster/tipshades.gif

I can't wait to get to some good water.

rossa
04-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Very nice; I'll have to keep an eye on your blog aswell. Do you get Gila and Apache trout near you or is it New Mexico they are found in?

Trucha
04-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Hey Ben,

Sweet!

BrkTrt
04-04-2011, 06:25 PM
Wonderful looking fish.

Brk Trt

AZWanderings
04-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks guys for the kind words. Stepping into the stream was like coming home. I'm very excited for the next couple months.

Very nice; I'll have to keep an eye on your blog aswell. Do you get Gila and Apache trout near you or is it New Mexico they are found in?

Thanks Rossa. There are Apache trout in the White Mountains and they just opened a new Gila trout fishery in the southern part of the state. Haven't been out after either yet, but I'll probably be making some time this summer to chase Apaches.

ofuros
04-04-2011, 09:11 PM
AZWanderings,

Fine looking rainbows....
You've reminded of what I've been missing.
Mr trout has taken a backseat lately...but after reading your post,
a session is definitely on the cards.

Cheers,
Ofuros

edeltrouts
04-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Ben,

Wild rainbow trout is what I miss in my streams. The stocked farm fishes never look so beautiful. It is one point on my long fishing wish list to visit places where cutthroats, rainbows and brookies live in wild places.

Regards

Thomas

Alpinefly
04-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Love it !!! Yes, we are spoiled just a bit here in Arizona when it comes to small stream trout fishing !!!!!!

AZWanderings
04-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Arizona is a hidden gem for small creeks. Lots of hungry little buggers with some bigger boys lurking in the shadows. Thanks guys for the kind words.

Ben

adam
04-07-2011, 08:57 PM
I've seen those guys before, I caught their great grandaddys!

You know the drill.