PDA

View Full Version : Introducing Jax

Doctor
03-24-2011, 02:29 AM
I first met Jax ,here at least a decade ago , he is one of Fly dressings inovators and I am proud to count him amongst my friends .
he has asked me to post the below ,not sure if the two pictures will show .
please do a search for the Roughy it is a superb fly that work for trout grayling and others all over the world

My name is Jack Murray. AKA. Jax. And Onecast. I am 76 years young and a Fly Fishing Nut.
Started my fly fishing in the Himeville / Underberg region of Natal in South Africa on the Umzimkulu River nearly 50 years ago and have never regretted taking a fly rod in hand and wandering into that special realm that is Fly Fishing.
It didn’t take long for the Fly Tying Bug to get its teeth into me and suddenly I was caught on a journey with an ever-broadening horizon.
Tying my own flies is probably one of the most satisfying past times I have enjoyed without getting my feet wet.
Thirty odd years ago I moved to New Zealand and a new and exciting learning curve. Fishing to “sighted” fish taught me a lot about what stealth really meant. I learned that trout in small streams were often rather Leary and wading became a matter of taking slow short steps to keep ones bow wave to a minimum. Stealth does matter.
Casting became extremely important and being able to put your fly in the right place first time was in many circumstances a must. Small streams also required knowing which fly would be most likely to be accepted by the Trout. After a lot of trial and error and at times mighty disasters I hit on a fly based on Lee Wulffs “Coachman Series” with a few modifications to simplify the tying.
I named the fly “Jax Roughy” originally it was tied as a spent pattern but soon graduated to being a more versatile Semi Spent Tie and is now used by me almost to the exclusion of other flies except when the Cicadas are on the menu.
Now as age takes it’s toll. Small Streams becoming very important. I can enjoy my fishing without having to worry about getting out of my depth when wading and keeping to the flat lands means a good day of relatively easy fishing. That is not to say trout in the higher reaches and the gorges are safe. Because there is the odd day when I feel like a young Buck Rat again, and i am quite ready to suffer a few aches and pains to do battle.

Getting up close and personal on a small stream Jax Roughy

Doctor
03-26-2011, 01:50 AM
Jax and I are struggling across the ether to load some phoyos,will have to involve young Hugh my technical wizard son and salmon fishing partner .