PDA

View Full Version : New software progress and updates

gusstrand
03-10-2011, 11:00 AM
OK, thanks to the membership of this community we have new software to run this place. I purchased it last night and downloaded the package.

That's the extent of it today, as I was sick with some "work travel bad food" issues in the hotel room all day yesterday.

This evening my task list is to

1. Create a database for the new system,
2. Get the files set up on my local PC and
3. Edit all of the configuration files.
4. Then get the import software downloaded and
5. Get the files for the import software set up and configured

I will not be able to work on it much next week with spring break and all, but the following week I should be able to start the import.

My goal is to have us up on the new forums by April 1.

Now you know.

-Gus

adam
03-10-2011, 10:45 PM
Impressive.

You are good at this stuff.

Very single day, I delete the spam bot memberships and the stuff they post.

It is pathetic.

I am very happy that you are at the helm steering us in a good direction.

gusstrand
03-10-2011, 11:37 PM
So the test install was going great - I actually have the software running but empty.

Tried the import and it, well, for lack of a better way to put it, it crapped out.

But... I'm learning the new stuff and will try again tomorrow to do a basic import.

Here is a question:

When I get a full functioning test import of the forums (the heart and soul of smallstreams) with all of the userIDs and whatnot, I am thinking that I should freeze this board and point us over there. It won't be pretty and logo'd, but we'll be there. Anyone averse to that?

adam
03-11-2011, 09:06 AM
Gus, this is an old site.

You will make good decisions what ever you do.

You have our support.

gusstrand
03-11-2011, 06:09 PM
OK - I learned something in the fun this afternoon - when we do convert, you/we will have to reset passwords. I'll type that in to an email that I'll send just before I turn this place off and that one on.

In preps for getting this right, I have also deleted all zero posters here... that was sort of fun, actually. :twisted:

adam
03-15-2011, 12:05 AM
I am wondering how you are doing...

Hoping you are figuring out number 5.

gusstrand
03-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Don't have time to work it this week but will next week.

Bottom line is I think I have the import down - I've done it three times and deleted it, just for practice. The forums will be live first. I want to get that right before I turn anything else on.

There is lots of good support on their support forums. People are eager and accurate.

gusstrand
03-22-2011, 09:37 PM
Just did the import test again.

1.) I can't seem to import smilies. No big deal.
2.) I can't seem to import attached images. Linked ones are no problem. Minor issue, not a show stopper.
3.) There are about 50 users without emails in the system. They will be dropped in the import.

I'm basically ready to turn on the new software. It will require each of us to redo our passwords. That is really the only real change/work for each person that I can see at this point, though.

gusstrand
03-31-2011, 01:02 PM
OK guys - I haven't got to work on this this week, been sick. Give me a week to turn it on, with apologies.

adam
03-31-2011, 03:38 PM
I was hoping you did not flip the switch on April Fools Day.

gusstrand
03-31-2011, 04:28 PM
Wanted to, but won't. :) Next week.

adam
03-31-2011, 11:21 PM
Gus, we are all excited.

Get it fixed the way you want, we will be here.