PDA

View Full Version : Fishing on the back burner ( Earthquake recovery )

willowgrub
02-28-2011, 03:36 AM
Most of you will be aware of the earthquake that struck Christchurch NewZealand last tuesday . We have recieved rescue teams from many countries including one from the USA. I think it is something like the 4th from Oakland California . I want to thank everyone for that assitance , and any donations that may have been made to the fund raising websites . Sadly the death toll will go over 200 , including about 60 young, mostly asian students in their class room in one of the worst affected buildings . The surface acceleration exceded 2.2 times the speed of gravity , it was a shallow quake .
The serious damage is limited to certain areas of the city centre and suburbs . The west of the city is almost normal . The entire rest of the South Island is absolutly fine . Chistchurch international airport is open . Dont put off your trip here if you had one planned , just dont count on finding accomodation close to Chrischurch . The tourist industry will take a hit from this , so it might be an opportune time to get here , less tourists . I have been fishing since the quake day , my town 60 miles south is unscathed , but it sure takes the gloss off thinking about the sad stories , not to mention a bit of guilt . ( I did a hard day up there saturday ). This seems to be the most popular forum , so I wrote this here . Enjoy the spring fishing when it arrives

adam
02-28-2011, 10:20 AM
I am so sorry your country must endure this. Thank you for the update.

Jax
02-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Well said willowgrub. Stay strong. Our thoughts and prayers are with all those affected down your way. Jax

BrkTrt
02-28-2011, 02:56 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with you, and your countrymen.

Brk Trt

willowgrub
03-01-2011, 02:36 AM
Thanks men , I ve got to say you just dont appreciate what these situations are like until you have been close to one . I wont be so unaffected next time China or Chile lose thousands . Im picking, with 52,000 people unable to get to their work locations in the central city that some of the fly fishermen amongst them take a little time out on the local streams . It was like that in Utah on the Provo after 9/11. suddenly it got very crowded . Shows what a high spiritual experience those little bits of fluff provide us with .............

heathcote
03-08-2011, 03:43 AM
I live in Christchurch close to the epicenter of the quake and I can tell you all this quake was a dilly! We were shaken like rag dolls in a barrel with a giant slamming it with a sledge hammer. Two weeks on and we have ruined buildings, power (hence the post) but no water or sewerage, life is very basic however we are happy to be alive. We have had no or little help except people with clip boards and stupid comments. A sign on a gate up the hill says it all "F' the medals, give us a porterloo!"
My local trout stream is full of human waste and unfishable yet on Saturday one trout was rising and so will we God willing.

Alpinefly
03-09-2011, 12:23 PM
Prayers are with all of you there in Christchurch. There is always another day for fishing, but the real priority is helping your neighbor !!!!!!!!!!

Apache Trout
03-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Glad you guys are OK.
My thoughts are with your nation during this time.
John