PDA

View Full Version : Late season New Mexico pheasant hunt

Trucha
02-08-2011, 03:24 PM
I had the opportunity to hunt on a private reserve/ranch on the eastern part of the state. I can't even begin to describe the amount of wildlife I saw. There were turkeys by the hundred, too many geese to count, ducks, herds of deer and of course, the pheasants. Granted it is a controlled enviroment and the pressure next to nil; sometimes I was the only one out shooting. It was a superb day to be in the field with my dog, birds and a Spanish SXS.

Here is my lab, "Tizona" with some of the day's pheasant and chuker.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j251/NMTrucha/chukerpheasanttizona1.jpg

AZWanderings
02-09-2011, 08:21 AM
That looks like fun. We just finished up our quail season here in Arizona. Stripped down the gun and cleaned everything and put it away for a long 8 month wait. Nice to see others out enjoying the upland shooting. Thanks for sharing. If you are ever looking for some help carrying all those birds, I'm only a few hours away. Pheasant sounds like fun.

Ben

Trucha
02-09-2011, 11:16 AM
8 months for the wingshooting season is a long for me. I usually start with Dusky Grouse and Dove in September. Our normal pheasant season here in NM is only four days long. I was fortunate enough to be invited to a private reserve which season lasts until mid-March and the invite was a rather a quick offer and decision.

When I want to do pheasants I go to Kansas. It is world class upland hunting on wild birds. it is about a six hour drive (even with my driving) but is well worth it. I normally go two to three times during the season. The WIHA's are many and the birds counts are very good - my buddy told me that it was the best he had seen in years (I didn't go this year; second job, finances, kids are school, blah, blah...). Our quail season ends this weekend - I won't go because I am training a dog for an acquaintance. Next season, I will go to KS for some pheasants.

All in all, both types of hunting are good and fun. Not say material for tying flies and tasty meals.