PDA

View Full Version : Raising funds to get off of phpbb3!

gusstrand
02-08-2011, 12:08 PM
I've tried to raise money here before to cover the operating costs and a little of my behind the scenes time, and it has not been fruitful... but given the hacking episodes, I think it's time to get "real," at least with our software. smallstreams has been running on free software for as long as it has been forums. That software has evolved, but not as fast as the hackers...

The heart of smallstreams are the forums. That is what I really want to develop and make much more robust - new SQL server iteration (the database behind all of this) and new, "real" software.

vBulletin is the quality standard for online forums and what I would like to upgrade this forum to. It costs $195. That's just the software, not any of my time to get it in and converted. There is a version of vBulletin that is a full CMS that supports member blogs, a full content management system and the like, and it runs $285. Bottom line is we need a minimum of $195 to move forward.

So here is the challenge. If you wish to contribute to the purchase of the vBulletin software for smallstreams.com, please let me know, and send a donation to smallstreams via paypal.

Click here to donate. (https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=2TVVBM2XDD4XN)

One thing to note - If we do not reach the amount to at least get the basic forum package in, say, 30 days, I will refund all of the donations and we will live with what we have.

All the best,

-Gus

adam
02-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Gus, what isn't raised, I will cover the rest.

No problem.

If you want to remove this request, I'm cool with that too.

If I would have known, you would have had your software already...

Let me know.

http://www.vbulletin.com

gusstrand
02-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Adam, I appreciate it - but this is a community. I could just as easily give them my card number.

Smallstreams membership is free to everyone, much like our public lands and rivers... Honestly, if we all chip in a bit, we each will have additional sense of ownership - of community - and we'll get what we need. I belong to a really large pay to play community that is basically about sharp and shiny things that I spend lots of time at - JB in SC is there as well as a few of our other members. I don't want this to be a subscription site like that one is (even though I am very willing to pay for the content there.)

I want smallstreams to be around for a good while. Making us real rather than limping along on free software makes sense. Given the way that vBulletin works as well, the donations will not go unrecognized.

So let's give it some time and see what happens. We'll revisit things if people decide not to help.

...and thanks for the offer. :)

-G

adam
02-08-2011, 07:38 PM
I do see the value in that.

gusstrand
02-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Folks, if you donate, please let me know your user ID somehow so I can keep track of that. I have your emails of course, so if you use the same one as you do here, that works.

Running Tally:

As of right now (20:11 on 8 Feb) we're at $40.

gusstrand
02-09-2011, 09:50 PM
We're currently at $62. Thanks to all who have chipped in so far!

gusstrand
02-11-2011, 09:40 AM
We are now at $120. Getting close!

adam
02-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Gus, will you be able to import all content?

Let's get you/community exactly what you want. Do not settle. There are very cool things you can do with this CMS.

gusstrand
02-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Yes, there are converters. We should retain all of our content.

the only thing that does not transfer, if I have been reading right, are user passwords. The first time an existing user would log on to the new software, they would need to re-do their password. If that is the only migration pain, we would be golden.

The "forum only" version is $195 - We're currently $75 away
The CMS version is $285 - We're currently $165 away

I'm giving this some time - I have no doubt we will get the forum software, and likely the CMS... since I haven't chipped in yet... but will... ;)

Let's keep the contributions coming folks!

adam
02-12-2011, 01:42 PM
You are closer than that now...

:D

I looked around, I got a feeling for the differences of the two. Both will work. Most people do blogs outside of forum sites. I do like it that you can pull content from forum to a front page and both are integrated and not separate like WP -> Forum.

What ever you do, I hope this transition phase is over soon.

It has pretty much stopped people from posting.

I can't speak for Gus but from what I understand, the data here will just be moved to the new presentation. Like anything, change is good. I think the new vBulletin forums will be close to what they are now, just easier and more secure for Gus to manage.

Do I have that right Gus?

gusstrand
02-12-2011, 02:07 PM
It will basically be just like now, but with different software. The downtime has likely also affected people posting. Sorry for that!

On getting the CMS, the real difference is the front page stuff and not having to have wordpress on the front. The internal blog feature is not often used on the sites I've seen that use the CMS... Is it worth $90 to have the CMS functionality? dunnno.

Is it worth ~$200 to get real forum software? You bet.

Doctor
02-12-2011, 02:12 PM
Gus ,
found some funds in Pay pal so theres a wee few££££s heading your way .
Worth helping this community ,you guys have helped keep me sane-ish over the years !

gusstrand
02-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Free tech support on their forums. If I want ticket based support like I get with my host for this place, that's extra.

For the rest of the gang, We're at $195!

adam
02-15-2011, 08:32 AM
Cool.

Can you give us an estimated time frame Gus?

The forum has run aground, no hurry, just want to have an estation when we set sail.

With the cracked images, lack of participation, the forum appears to be broken.

Everyone likes to have an estimation (est 3 weeks?) when the car will be fixed. Not a sprint, just curios.

gusstrand
02-15-2011, 10:56 AM
I was going to collect for 30 days. We have enough for the forum upgrade.

Based on the logs, participation is no more or less now, and people could re-up their avatars if they really wanted them... but I suspect we'll be up and running by the ides of March...

adam
02-15-2011, 12:28 PM
I'm basing my research of the forums by what people actually write, quality vs. quantity, a fave writer sharing a story vs. Google Bot runnig up a hit counter?

So three weeks left plus a week to work the bugs out.

Thanks for responding.

gusstrand
02-15-2011, 12:57 PM
I'm basing my research of the forums by what people actually write, quality vs. quantity, a fave writer sharing a story vs. Google Bot runnig up a hit counter?

So three weeks left plus a week to work the bugs out.

Thanks for responding.

Gotcha. Makes sense. Yes, unless we reach the total sooner, that timeline seems accurate.

gusstrand
02-22-2011, 10:09 AM
We're at $205 currently...

gusstrand
02-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Got a request from a member who wanted to send a check - if you don't have paypal and do want to help, let me know and I'll pm or email you my mailing address.

-Gus

gusstrand
02-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Just received a check - we're at $230!

gusstrand
03-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Update... $250. Almost there!

gusstrand
03-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Just got the one that pushed us over! $285!

I will be purchasing the software this week and slowly working to install it. I want to do it right, so I have set myself a deadline of April 1 to turn it on!

martin_b
03-08-2011, 02:23 PM
That sounds fantastic! Looking forward to the new software.

Martin