PDA

View Full Version : Brown Trout

AZWanderings
01-09-2011, 11:13 PM
Caught this one just before Christmas, but have not had time to share. He came out of Oak Creek in Sedona, arguably one of the best known waters in Arizona. High, off color water conditions had kept me stripping buggers and drifting bright nymphs, until I saw a fish rising in a long pool. I tied on #14 parachute Adams and waited. After he rose again, I laid the fly about a foot to his right. The strong slurp happened in slow motion as did the fight to the net. It seems like dark, off color water days are some of the best times to ambush those big fish. Thanks for looking.

Ben

adam
01-10-2011, 12:48 AM
...ooohhh.

Yeahh.

Apache Trout
01-10-2011, 10:28 AM
That's a beauty! Nice catching. :-)
A.T.
PS. One of these days I'm gonna get back to AZ to fish, last trip was 2001. It's time.

jeepster
01-10-2011, 05:47 PM
That is a nice brownie for oc. Very well done. http://users.dakotacom.net/~jeepster/tipshades.gif

mems
01-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Sedona, pink jeeps, slide rocks, vortex, and funky cactus margaritas. There are some nice fish in Oak Creek. Is it too cold for snakes now? Nice job, Mems.

AZWanderings
01-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks guys for the kind words. Mems, the snakes are all asleep in Sedona for the winter, at least that's what I tell myself. Only run across one rattler in all the miles I have wandered around Arizona and it was while I was fishing. Fingers crossed that it will be the only one. Thanks again.

Ben

adam
01-16-2011, 11:42 AM
I have a tenkara rod that it's secondary purpose is fishing Oak Creek. I bought it for Lees Ferry but it will probably find itself fishing for those browns much much more.

I always check myself with Oak Creek. It is close but has a population of wary brown trout that is sometimes heavily pressured. I have a few places I like to visit there that are off the beaten path but again, the fish aren't so willing. When you catch one, you know it and you know you are doing well.

That's a nice fish and I'm glad to see it in your hands...