PDA

View Full Version : She's just seventeen, you know, what I mean...

njtrout
11-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Because of work and low water I didn't get out fishing much this year. However, I was able to spend a day on a favorite stream here in NJ, just before the spawn. While the water does produce the occasional 12"+ specimen the fish below was completely unexpected. Not only is it wild, but certified indigenous (DNA). I told my wife when leaving to go that day (10/04) "I only want one, but it's got to be big". Gotta love it when wishes come true. She fell for a supervisor streamer on the 100th? cast through the pool. Not often that the big one doesn't get away or that one gets a clear picture of a wild brookie over 14" (at least in NJ). Yes, it was released.

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/ss15/JohnFarmer_NJ/trout/seventeen.jpg?t=1290639475

greyfox
11-24-2010, 06:42 PM
Wow very nice, how did you know it's indigenous.

Doctor
11-25-2010, 04:18 AM
And the way she (he ) looked was way beyond compare !
Gorgeous fish and a great song !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR9hEVHe_V8
Thanks for reminding me of my youth and sharing a magic moment of your own !

Satoshi
11-25-2010, 06:59 AM
Wow :o

njtrout
11-25-2010, 08:30 AM
A bit more...

Since I know the stream well guessing where the biggest trout/char might be during different seasons and/or times is often accurate. In this case there's a pre-spawn 'staging' pool where large fish usually pause before ventuting on up to the redds in the very headwaters (NO FISHING THERE - personal, not official rule). If the pool is devoid of fish I move on but, if I can discern white edged pectorals...I set up at an ideal location for long distance roll casting and work colorful streamers.

Though the fish are not easily spooked at this time of year they're not actively feeding so, easy to see but hard to catch. The trick is to 'annoy' or provoke them into striking and colorful streamers worked erraticly consistently produce the best results.

I'd like to say the fight was epic, but it wasn't. The fish was - as expected - STRONG however, the struggle was predictable for the species (and one of that size): Strait run to the front of the pool, sloppy/clumbsy half jump then, to the deepest section for a bull dog tug-o-war. EXACTLY 17". I did see one larger but it was getting dark and the walk/hike back was long and could be dangerous. One was good enough and all I asked for/needed.

Mostyn
11-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Nice fish - gorgeous colours.

nicgez
12-01-2010, 11:35 PM
Wow. That is a truly marvelous Brook Trout. Thanks for Sharing.