PDA

View Full Version : AFTER THE EARTHQUAKE PART 2

heathcote
10-26-2010, 10:42 PM
The 7.1 quake that hit Christchurch on Sept 4th has had a profound effect on not only the population but our finned friends too.

THE TROUT ARE TRAUMATISED! Before the 'quake in my favourite local stream the trout were to be found on station feeding in their lies and most of them I knew when and where to find them. This has changed in the proceeding weeks. There are still aftershocks up to catogory 5 and to date there have been over 2000; some days with as many as 6 or 7 that could be clearly felt.

Trout behaviour is now shown by the fish being constantly on the move, not only up and down the stream but by adopting beats to feed as would still water trout where suitable cover for them to take shelter is found. One female trout with a distinguishing mark of about 4 lb had adopted a beat of about 25 m from a deep pool with an overhanging tree and undercut bank up to a slack and riffle. She would emerge from the depths and follow the right bank up through the slack to half way up the riffle, turn and come down the faster water on the opposite side back into the pool. A variety of flies were offered in the slack over a quarter hour to no avail. Then the ground shook and she bolted not to be seen for the rest of that day.

Two days later a kilometer up stream I found her again in a flat below a similar pool with a cruise circuit of round 30 m. This time a mini weighted baby bugger twitched in front of her on the downstream run did the buisness and a short time later she was on the bank; my first fish for two weeks. A very nice and well conditioned fish.

All the trout, browns, are behaving the same. Considering that this is an urban stream with a road alongside used by walkers, joggers, cyclists as well as cars and trucks which before the 'quake they apeared to be quite complacent about the change in behaviour is very different now. During the day they are seldom seen at all, if they are in view any vibration sends them into panic mode. As the lateral line on the fish are superb receptors to vibration it is no wonder that the constant mini quakes are the cause. All part of lifes rich pattern and yet another challenge for the urban angler.