PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Nova Scotia...sorta

lykos33
10-20-2010, 06:58 PM
I am a 46 year old Florida boy ,now living in Nova Scotia, Canada. More specifically, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. It's the island off of mainland NS that looks like a lobster claw. That is more fitting than many realize as lobster fishing is a major industry here along with crab fishing. What is a Florida boy doing in the frozen tundra of Canada(no tundra anywhere near here) instead of the flats and bays of Florida? One word....woman! I met and married a Cape Breton girl and moved here to be with her. They (her family and friends) all told me how great the fishing is for trout around here. I really believed them because the first time I went spin fishing with bait, I caught a 3 lb. , fresh from the ocean , rainbow. "This is going to be easy!" says I. As would be expected, it took me 2 more years to catch any kind of trout and by that time I had given up my spinner and adopted the flyrod. A small river / stream was the site of my first fly taken fish, the Salmon River they call it. Now where I come from you can't spit across a river, but apparently things are different up north here... To this day I have no idea what it was I caught on that first fly. The guy fishing with me was/is more interested in beer than fish so he was no help. I know I caught a load of little yellow perch, and was told they were worthless from an eating standpoint, so they all went back in the "river". The trout..salmon..par...smolts... whatever, were only a few inches long , but they were a real hoot to catch. Vicious little buggers, knocking my dries clean outta the water. Thankfully they did hit my flies , as I had started tying a lot sooner than actually Fly fishing, and I needed the confidence boost of fish actually biting my creations. Since that first expedition, I have caught a few fish, seen a lot of BEAUTIFUL water and come to realize that these little streams/ brooks/ rivers can be as much fun and adventure as my lakes , bays, rivers, and Gulfs back in Florida. Now it's all a matter of learning the methods and maybe finding a mentor. Wish me luck!