PDA

View Full Version : An introduction

MikeHampe
10-18-2010, 10:02 PM
I came here mainly because I read that the Sno-Fly swap was being hosted here on flytyingforum.com in a post by John Larson (AlpineFly). A small stream site should be a good fit for me, though, seeing as I can cast across almost every stream I fish.
I deliver pizza and tie flies to support my fishing addiction. I'm still not sure how I wound up tying "professionally". I started with just one customer, then a couple of his friends, and so on and so on until I wound up with a decent side income.
I started fly fishing my freshman year of college after I got skunked on the Meramec here in Missouri. I was using a spinning rod and couldn't buy a bite while a guy with a fly rod downstream was knocking them silly. I decided I NEEDED to learn to fly fish. That day was the last time I used a spinning rod except for the occasional catfishing trip with my dad. I didn't do so well at first so I obviosly blamed the flies which led me to start tying my own. About a million wind knots and 8 years later I think I almost know what I'm doing.
Besides fly fishing I enjoy wood working and working on my Mustang.

-Mike

gusstrand
10-18-2010, 11:52 PM
Welcome to smallstreams!