PDA

View Full Version : Definition of a stream?

bambooflyfisher
10-17-2010, 09:50 AM
Very curious on what other members definition of a stream?

This one has confused me for a while, just wondered whether there is an official definition of a stream, brook, river etc.

Kind regards
Bambooflyfisher

erics beetle
10-17-2010, 04:29 PM
This is something that has crossed my mind many times. In my part of the world we generally on maps have the terms becks and rivers a beck seems to be a name given to a very small watercourse and is a name routed in germanic or nordic language . In my part of the world that amounts to where the vikings got to. For me if you can wade it in thigh waders and generally is less than knee height its a beck. Further south its a brook which to me is a regional variation. Becks flow down and join up to form rivers.. I think that the term stream is a generic term that can mean a brook beck or whatever. It is all a very subjectve judgement as I can think of several streams that are mapped as rivers that are smaller than others described as becks. So your guess is as good as mine.

bambooflyfisher
10-19-2010, 11:00 AM
the mind ponders!!

the river / stream i fish here in the uk is wadable and barely goes past knee height with afew deep pockets.

i think i will just continue to call it a stream.

kind regards

rstouff
10-20-2010, 04:37 PM
So is a creek the same as a stream? I always wondered that too.