PDA

View Full Version : THANK YOU SATOSHI!

gusstrand
10-06-2010, 05:40 PM
Great post for the front page. I just published it!

-G

heathcote
10-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Satoshi San,
I have never been to Japan, my loss and my last big wish on the bucket list so reading your article was great. I feel that you have put many things in perspective for those of us so much more fortunate in where we live close to trout. However for those of us in New Zealand the thought of a fish every cast is in the realms of complete fantasy; my average is one fish for every two trips to the water closest to my home, just 20 minutes away. As for fishing holidays for a five day trip like you I spend two days traveling by bus, car and boat and the last one was completely spoiled by a 10 meter flood going through the river system, not a single fish was seen I might add. However we do have many rivers and lakes within a two to three hour drive and are really spoilt for choice here.
If you fancy a trip down under to the shaky isles on the rim pack a good 6wt rod and three lines DT6F for delicate dry flies a WF6F and a WF6Intermediate for big water and lakes. As for must have flies Grey Duster dry and Wooly Buggers in sizes 12 through to 6 weighted will be good fish takers in most situations.
Once again thanks for a great article.

Ernest
10-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Satoshi,

Thank you for an excellent report on your fishing excursion, and an excellent essay on how the cost (in time and money) of access to trout fishing impacts you as a fisherman. You have brought into focus some things that I have thought about for some time.

I grew up in trout country, and I made the decision to always live in trout country. This may have precluded some career and cultural possibilities and it may have limited my income, but I made the decision with my eyes open, and I have never been sorry.

I do not fish 14 times a week, but I fish when I want to. The delicious anticipation and excitement of a long trip are replaced by the satisfaction of being able to really know a neighborhood stream in all of its moods, all season long. I see the anticipation and excitement in some of my friends, and I envy them. They see my knowledge of the streams and the time I have to devote to them, and they are jealous. I don’t know if one is better than the other. We all have a good time.

I do not like to fish when there are others on my small streams. If I see another car at a wayside, or I meet another angler on the stream, I will move to another place. I used to be frustrated by finding others in “my” streams, but not anymore. I now understand that the stranger at the bridge may be a Midwestern Satoshi. He may have come a long way to fish, this may be his one highly anticipated trip of the season, and he may have a very bright appreciation for my everyday streams.

Ernest

adam
10-13-2010, 09:13 AM
Ernest, we are so different yet the same: "delicious anticipation" "my streams"

Satoshi, you have written a story that again supports why smallstreams.com exists. It started with Gerard in South Africa, he made so many trips possible to his area, now you took me on the train...

Delicious anticipation indeed.

I am looking forward to more stories from you.

Soon as I am able, I will comment at the WP story side.

rayfound
10-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Yes, great article Satoshi.

Satoshi
10-24-2010, 06:26 AM
Gus, Wallyran, heathcote, Ernest, adam, rayfound,

I didn't know there are comments to my post here.

Thank you for your warm comments. I was a bit nervous about writing an essay in English language for the front page because it seems like to go a bit more public than posting inside of the forum. Now I feel a bit relieved by reading your comments.

heathcote,
I would ask your advices if I have a chance to go fishing to New Zealand. I wish the airfare of New Zealand Air was a little more cheaper.

Ernest,

I now understand that the stranger at the bridge may be a Midwestern Satoshi. He may have come a long way to fish, this may be his one highly anticipated trip of the season, and he may have a very bright appreciation for my everyday streams.
I thank you very much on behalf of the fly fishers who come a long way to trout paradises.
Honestly speaking, I'm often frustrated by seeing a car with the numberplate of around Tokyo parking beside a stream in Tohoku region, though I know I myself am one of them ;) .

Satoshi

heathcote
10-24-2010, 09:07 PM
Hi Satoshi,
I agree that Air NZ is expensive to fly and also the service in flight could be better.
My personal choice of air line travel would be Singapore Air, Malasian Air or Emirates for international except trans Tasman which I prefere Pacific Blue or Jet Star to go to Tasmania where the trout are very prolific though smaller than NZ.

Satoshi
10-28-2010, 07:31 AM
heathcote,

Thanks.
When I checked Airline companies long time ago, Air NZ was the only company that had the direct flight between Japnan and NewZealand. Next time, I will look at companies you mentioned.

Satoshi

BrkTrt
10-29-2010, 04:22 AM
Satoshi,

A fine piece of writing.
It was a wonderful journey to your land.

Thanks,

Brk Trt